T Nation

K-1 WGP 2006

I know there has to be a few K-1 fans here, so hopefully this thread isn’t just otoko and me :slight_smile: Anyways, this weekend is the K-1 World Grand Prix, and it looks like a great, albeit aging, card.

Tournament Quarterfinals:

Semmy Schilt vs JLB
Ruslan Karaev vs Glaube Feitosa
Ernesto Hoost vs Chalid “Die Faust” Arrab
Remy Bojansky vs Stefan Leko

Reserve Matches:
Melvin Manhoef vs Ray Sefo
Peter Aerts vs Musashi

I want JLB to take this whole freaking thing. I think he did the right thing by taking the prohibitive favorite first. He’s had such bad luck with injuries in the past, beating the reigning champion and having to drop out later would come across pretty well.

Winner of Schilt vs JLB is my favorite to take the whole thing. My longshot is Sefo to beat Manhoef and get an injury spot and wipe up. I also like Ruslan a lot, and hope he shows well.

And goddamn, I can’t believe Hoost is still fighting. I hope his knee doesn’t horrendously buckle from a low kick. Poor man needs to hang him up. His technical brillance always make him a threat though, but I don’t see him getting through Die Faust.

Fuck, Schilt wins again. The guy is without peer right now. Aerts is my fighter of the night though, the guy is fucking warrior even now at this point in his career. He looked like he was 10 years younger in the ring.

That was one of the better GPs I have seen recently.
Hoost, JLB and Aerts have slowed down though.
To Hoost’s credit he fought well and came in the best shape he has been in this year. Still he is so slow now, and loses his balance, and can’t quite pull the trigger. Hoost did show that Die Faust can’t mount an offense if you take away his hooks.
I wanted Aerts to win. Tough tough guy. He weighed 111kgs in shape. I think that is the heaviest I have seen him.
As for Schilt, I am not a fan but he won, so congratulations to him.

[quote]otoko wrote:
To Hoost’s credit he fought well and came in the best shape he has been in this year. Still he is so slow now, and loses his balance, and can’t quite pull the trigger. Hoost did show that Die Faust can’t mount an offense if you take away his hooks.
I wanted Aerts to win. Tough tough guy. He weighed 111kgs in shape. I think that is the heaviest I have seen him.
As for Schilt, I am not a fan but he won, so congratulations to him. [/quote]

What do you think about Ruslan? He seems to have so much potential and I love his aggressive style, but he needs to learn some defense.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
otoko wrote:
As for Schilt, I am not a fan but he won, so congratulations to him.

What do you think about Ruslan? He seems to have so much potential and I love his aggressive style, but he needs to learn some defense.[/quote]

I like Ruslan also. I think there should be more guys like him.
Ruslan has alot of talent. I think he needs to throw more low kicks, and put them into combination with his boxing.
Ruslan was unlucky against Feitosa. Feotosa caught him with a brazilian kick. Most guys do not throw that kick or cannot throw that kick. It is a difficult kick to defend.
Ruslan is very aggressive and has good technique and is very quick. Though I think he has learned he cannot just simply rush straight in against K-1 caliber fighters. I think he will get better. I thought Feitosa was never going to be any good under K-1 rules, and he proved me correct for years until last year. Feitosa has better boxing and is bigger, stronger, faster(though I am a bit apprehensive as to how how got so much stronger and faster). Hug got better later in his career. So I think Ruslan can be a great fighter.
The only problem is how big guys have gotten in K-1. Choi and Schilt. Hoost was fighting over 240, Aerts over 247, Sefo 240. I hope Ruslan does not feel like he has to get big. I think all those guys were better when they were younger and lighter.