T Nation

K-1 New Years Eve Show

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kiyoshi Tamura
Eddie Alvarez vs. Shinya Aoki
Joachim Hansen vs. Gesias Cavalcante
K-1 Rules: Gegard Mousasi vs. Musashi
K-1 Rules: Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kozo Takeda

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I love japan

They are also covering the K-1 Grand Prix. I think late tomorrow night.

Aoki/Alverez and Hansen/JZ
Holy shit!

Mousasi is tearing it up

I love me some Sakuraba but WTF he really needs to retire, or move to submission grappling.

I can not bear to watch him get punched and kneed in the face too much more.

I would have loved to see Hansen vs Kawajiri, instead of Hansen vs Calvan, but with that constellation of top 10 fighter in the lightweight division, there's no way that this event will disappoint.

Sakuraba vs Tamura will bring a lot of the old Pride atmosphere and emotional charge, I think, seems like a perfect match-making.

Which I don't think applies about the two K-1 fights with MMA guys in'em. Mousasi vs Musashi??? Whoever the winner is, I don't think it will prove a point about him. Of course, the fighters aren't the people making the decisions, but I wonder, why did they accept such offer?

Still, it will be an amazing event.

Go, Dynamite!! 2008

Mousasi is pronounced exactly the same as Musashi in Japan. That is a silly reason to make a match and I am not saying that is the reason. But it would not surprise me either if that was the reason. Somebody at K-1 has a sense of humor. And Japanese people like that sort of stuff.

Takeda is such a warrior. He'll probably keep fighting till the day he dies!

Go fucking get 'em Saku.

I thought about that, because in Eastern Europe, where I live, they are pronounced similar too. Still, I can't believe someone measured the pros and cons of that match and thought:
"Well, even if the only reason for that match is phonetics, let's fuckin' do it! It will be lots of fun if Musasi wins...or was that Mousashi? Haha, bookies will love the confusion..."

Ah, enough bitching, at the end, I'm already curious what will happen in these matches, so maybe it's a good decision after all :slight_smile: