T Nation

K-1 Heroes August Event

Ok so, before we begin, if anyone has links to streaming vids or dls, please do post. Also, Sakuraba’s K-1 debut is on youtube

SPOILER ALERT

Now, I have to say I was less-than-impressed by Saku’s performence. I love Sakuraba but he got the paste beat out of him and is fortunate the guy gassed out.

He did show lots of heart and veteran calm and experience when getting beaten on and later in securing the armbar. I hope he comes in during his next fight in better shape/better prepared. I suspect he will get either Akiyama or Oyama next.

I have heard Hideo Tokoro v. Menjivar was the fight of the year so far and would like to see it. I would also like to see Gesias’ fight and Kaoru Uno’s. Any fights would be good, however.

Sakuraba got some love from the ref, that is for sure.

Ouch. On one hand, not the debut we would have wanted Saku to make. On the other hand, classic Saku.

I bet Smirnovas gassed because he was expecting the ref to call the match at any one of a half-dozen points and figured, “hey, I’ve only got a few more seconds left, why not put this on a highlight reel?”

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
Now, I have to say I was less-than-impressed by Saku’s performence. I love Sakuraba but he got the paste beat out of him and is fortunate the guy gassed out.
[/quote]

I agree, his performance is less than impressive. It just seems more and more that’s how he’s gonna fight - get all fucked up then some how win. They were both gassed out so I don’t think it’s fortunate for Sakuraba or anything. I was little surprise with Sauraba’s hand speed even though he was pretty gassed himself.

He definitely showed lot of heart. So even though this was a less than impressive performance but it makes the win more stellar - from getting beat up then coming back and dishing out his own beating then win with arm bar. It is these kind of fights that drives the audience wild. I also agree with other poster that he got some love from the ref.