JxG's Progress Log

Stats 28.09.2008
Age 24
Height 172 cm / 5’8
Weight 79.5 kg / 175 pounds
Bodyfat 14%, according to Male 3-Site Equation (chest 8 mm, abdomen 19 mm, thigh 22 mm, age 24)
Training Age ~2-4 Months.

Started training about 1,5 years ago, but did only on-off kinda training, way to irregular to make contineous progress.
Used to be about 70-75 kg and I remember seeing my abs at 70 kg, despite not doing any kind of phsyical activity - when they started to slowly but surely fade away, I decided to do something against it. Easier to start as a twenty-something, than at 50+. I also wanted to get in a good enough condition to do martial arts again - without getting extremly winded.

So where I am now?
1.) I have a bit more muscle than I used to.
2.) I’m fatter than ever before.
3.) My training regularity is bad.
4.) My diet is ok.
5.) I sure as hell could use more sleep.

Point 3 is (by far) my biggest problem. It’s pretty much the sole reason I’m starting this log.

Goals:
Get bigger, stronger, leaner, enhance my endurance, hit harder. Dun, dun, dun… surprise, surprise. Of course, not all at once. Im not sure what to go for right now. I could really loose some fat - I’m fatter than ever before right now, and not really happy about it. Then again I also need more muscle…

Well, at least I’ve got a training plan to wich im sticking right now… plan is 3-6 reps, 6-8 sets, 3 exercises (1 pushing, 1 pulling, 1 legs/lower back).
Last workout (24.09):
6x6 Pushups
6x6 Deadlifts, 29 kg (including bar)
6x6 Bodyweight Rows

Circuit style (pushups, 40 sec rest, deadlifts, rest, rows, rest, pushups…).

Right now my BW is enough for rows and pushups, for now im going to add sets to everything, until im at 8x6. Then add weight to the DL’s, put my feet on a chair during pushups/rows (prolly starting at 3 reps and then adding reps until im at 8x6 again).
Why don’t I bench instead? 1.) I train at home. Don’t really have the space for a bench. 2.) I like bodyweight-exercises. Planning to do 1-handed pushups & pullups someday. 3.) This way I can use parallel “grip” (…without paying $ 600 for a log bar).

So… I’m going to make a post here every day. No matter if its a training day or a rest day.

28.09.08:
Day 3 of fighting off a wannabe-flu. Feeling alot better than yesterday, probably gonna start training again in 2 days.

29.09.08:
Not much to report. Gonna start training again tomorrow. 6 Minutes of static leg stretching today.

30.09.08:
Training day.

8x6 with Deadlifts (29 kg), Pushups, Bodyweight Rows.
Actually surprised myself there, from the start on I though I’m going for 7x6.

Later on, I did 5 5inutes of static leg stretching.

deadlifts with 29kg? I’d work on strength for a while…

01.10.08:
Rest day. 5 minutes leg stretching.

@jtg987: I thought working in the 3-6 reps zone is the strenght/hyperthropy zone?
My DL max is somewhere slightly above 90 kg. Can’t do much more than 29 for 8x6 though. I used more in the beginning, but quickly noticed that my technique started to suck…

[quote]JxG wrote:
01.10.08:
Rest day. 5 minutes leg stretching.

@jtg987: I thought working in the 3-6 reps zone is the strenght/hyperthropy zone?
My DL max is somewhere slightly above 90 kg. Can’t do much more than 29 for 8x6 though. I used more in the beginning, but quickly noticed that my technique started to suck…[/quote]

6-8 is hypertrophy zone, I wouldn’t be concerned about that if your max is 90kg. and 8x6? I’d go with 5x5 or 5x3 until you get your deadlift up

02.10.08:
Training day.
8x3 Pushups with feet on a chair
8x6 Deadlift 34 kg
8x4 Bodyweight Rows with feet on a chair

I’m in a hurry right now, i’ll add a reply to your post later - thanks for the advice!

03.10.08:
Rest day. 5 Minutes of leg stretching.

When you say 5x5 or 5x3 - do you mean any of the plans such as stronglifts 5x5 - or just changing my set/rep volume to 5x5 or 5x3?
The secound would be easier, though i’d still have some problems with my bodyweight exercises, since those usually progress by adding reps before using a harder variant.

With my current 6-8 x 3-6, I can do that. Though I could use something like 6 x 3-6 (always 3 reps for Deadlifts, always progressing from 3-6 reps before I use a harder bodyweight-exercise). From what I read in the stronglifts 5x5, it seems normal to keep to volume low for deadlifts anyway - right?

04.10.08:
Training day
Pushups (feet on chair): 5x3,3x4
Deadlift: 8x6 35 kg
Bodyweight Rows (feet on chair): 5x4, 3x5

[quote]JxG wrote:
03.10.08:
Rest day. 5 Minutes of leg stretching.

When you say 5x5 or 5x3 - do you mean any of the plans such as stronglifts 5x5 - or just changing my set/rep volume to 5x5 or 5x3?
The secound would be easier, though i’d still have some problems with my bodyweight exercises, since those usually progress by adding reps before using a harder variant.

With my current 6-8 x 3-6, I can do that. Though I could use something like 6 x 3-6 (always 3 reps for Deadlifts, always progressing from 3-6 reps before I use a harder bodyweight-exercise). From what I read in the stronglifts 5x5, it seems normal to keep to volume low for deadlifts anyway - right?[/quote]

deadlifts the number of reps in a set I’d keep low but the overall volume should be the same as any other exercise. lower reps in sets, but more sets

05.10.08:
Rest day. 6 Minutes of leg stretching.

Hmm… alright. Found out why the volume for deadlifts is so low in stronglifts 5x5 - it’s because of all the squatting.

Been thinking 8x4 could work pretty good for this. Bodyweight exercises also 8 sets, progressing from 3-6, as usual.
According to the Set/Rep-Bible (http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=651322), this should be ok. Though I can’t imagine doing 80-90% of my max for a total of 24 reps.

Checked my Deadlift max again a couple of days ago, its 96.5 kg. 80% of that would be 77 kg. No chance in hell. Maybe my problem is a lack of work capacity, I really don’t know.

[quote]JxG wrote:
05.10.08:
Rest day. 6 Minutes of leg stretching.

Hmm… alright. Found out why the volume for deadlifts is so low in stronglifts 5x5 - it’s because of all the squatting.

Been thinking 8x4 could work pretty good for this. Bodyweight exercises also 8 sets, progressing from 3-6, as usual.
According to the Set/Rep-Bible (http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=651322), this should be ok. Though I can’t imagine doing 80-90% of my max for a total of 24 reps.

Checked my Deadlift max again a couple of days ago, its 96.5 kg. 80% of that would be 77 kg. No chance in hell. Maybe my problem is a lack of work capacity, I really don’t know.[/quote]

with deadlifts my max was 200kg last time i tested, it went likes this

100kgx5
120kgx5
140kgx5
170kgx5
180kgx3
190kgx1
200kgx1

• first three sets were relatively easy, last four destroyed me.

• what are your squat numbers like?

06.10.08:
Training day.
Pushups (feet on chair): 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3
Deadlift: 8x4 - 44 kg
Bodyweight Rows (feet on chair): 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Wasn’t sure how much I could do on Deadlifts for 8x4, but seems like 44 kg was a good guess. I’ll try to add 2,5 kg every workout.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:

100kgx5
120kgx5
140kgx5
170kgx5
180kgx3
190kgx1
200kgx1

• what are your squat numbers like?[/quote]
    Woah. So if that The Set/Rep Bible article is correct, if you work on maximal strenght with some hypertrophy, you should do at least a total volume of 24 reps, with a minimum of 160 kg. Now this may sound like a dumb question - but is that within your ability right now?
    Just trying to find out if the parameters given in the article are to be taken serious.

Squat numbers - haven’t done any real squatting yet. You can tell im fairly new to this whole weight-training thing, I guess.
A big problem is my piss-poor leg flexibility. Last time I tried I couldn’t even squat to parallel, no matter the weight.

Also, I train at home and don’t have a squat rack, so the only way to squat from would be to do a power clean and front squats. Since I’ll always be able to do more in the front squat than in the power clean, I can’t test my max.

[quote]JxG wrote:
06.10.08:
Training day.
Pushups (feet on chair): 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3
Deadlift: 8x4 - 44 kg
Bodyweight Rows (feet on chair): 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Wasn’t sure how much I could do on Deadlifts for 8x4, but seems like 44 kg was a good guess. I’ll try to add 2,5 kg every workout.

jtg987 wrote:

100kgx5
120kgx5
140kgx5
170kgx5
180kgx3
190kgx1
200kgx1

• what are your squat numbers like?
    Woah. So if that The Set/Rep Bible article is correct, if you work on maximal strenght with some hypertrophy, you should do at least a total volume of 24 reps, with a minimum of 160 kg. Now this may sound like a dumb question - but is that within your ability right now?
    Just trying to find out if the parameters given in the article are to be taken serious.

Squat numbers - haven’t done any real squatting yet. You can tell im fairly new to this whole weight-training thing, I guess.
A big problem is my piss-poor leg flexibility. Last time I tried I couldn’t even squat to parallel, no matter the weight.

Also, I train at home and don’t have a squat rack, so the only way to squat from would be to do a power clean and front squats. Since I’ll always be able to do more in the front squat than in the power clean, I can’t test my max.[/quote]

if fresh yeah I reckon I could rip out 205-210 on deadlift for a rep, 160kg goes up pretty easy last time i attempted it

07.10.08:
Rest day. 6 Minutes leg stretching.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
if fresh yeah I reckon I could rip out 205-210 on deadlift for a rep, 160kg goes up pretty easy last time i attempted it[/quote]

Ah, then my problem really might be a lack of work capacity. Alright then. I’ll just steadily increase the weight by 2,5 kg each workout and stop worrying about percentages for now.

Not sure when and how to incooperate front squats yet, but before I do my leg flexibility needs to be increased anyway.

08.10.08:
Training day.
Pushups (feet on chair): 8x4
Deadlift: 8x4 - 46,5 kg
Bodyweight Rows (feet on chair): 8x5

09.10.08:
Rest day. 6 Minutes Leg stretching.

Newest trick:
Raising the toes while deadlifting. Helps me to drive more from the heels.

10.10.08:
Training day.
Pushups (feet on chair): 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4
Deadlift: 8x4 - 49 kg
Bodyweight Rows (feet on chair): 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5

[quote]JxG wrote:
09.10.08:
Rest day. 6 Minutes Leg stretching.

Newest trick:
Raising the toes while deadlifting. Helps me to drive more from the heels.[/quote]

Try deadlifting without your shoes on or with flat-soled chucks, or chuck-like shoes.