T Nation

Juvenile Justice

Do you think a juvenile who does a serious crime should be given a lesser punishment based solely on the fact that hey are under 18? Lets say a 16 y/o boy goes out and stabs a homeless guy to death as initiation into a gang and gets caught. Should he be given 5 years in a juvenile jail just because he wasnt 18 when he committed the crime or should he be charged the same way as everyone else?

I dont think juveniles should be put in adult prisons. I dont think a 16 y/o boy should be in a cell next to a 26 or 36 y/o man because obviously if anyone were to be abused, it probably would be the 16 y/o as very few 16 year old boys are just that tough enough to make it inside of an adult prison.

I wouldnt say giving a 16 y/o life would be unfair if the circumstance warranted it, but on the condition that until at least 21 years old he is kept in a juvenile prison.

If you are old enough to do the crime you are old enough to do the time.

I think its a case by case thing and this case the girl deserves a medal.

man, there needs to be some discretion.

Hm. In Europe teenagers who murder someone are out of prison in about 5 years, in this particular case it would be probably far less than that…

[quote]clip11 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7mno6p9iQ&feature=related

Do you think a juvenile who does a serious crime should be given a lesser punishment based solely on the fact that hey are under 18? Lets say a 16 y/o boy goes out and stabs a homeless guy to death as initiation into a gang and gets caught. Should he be given 5 years in a juvenile jail just because he wasnt 18 when he committed the crime or should he be charged the same way as everyone else?

I dont think juveniles should be put in adult prisons. I dont think a 16 y/o boy should be in a cell next to a 26 or 36 y/o man because obviously if anyone were to be abused, it probably would be the 16 y/o as very few 16 year old boys are just that tough enough to make it inside of an adult prison.

I wouldnt say giving a 16 y/o life would be unfair if the circumstance warranted it, but on the condition that until at least 21 years old he is kept in a juvenile prison.[/quote]

Yeah she shouldn’t serve for that, couldn’t they have plead some kind of self defense given circumstances.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
clip11 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7mno6p9iQ&feature=related

I wouldnt say giving a 16 y/o life would be unfair if the circumstance warranted it, but on the condition that until at least 21 years old he is kept in a juvenile prison.

Yeah she shouldn’t serve for that, couldn’t they have plead some kind of self defense given circumstances.[/quote]

Given the nature of her situation,you would think so initially. BUT if she wasn’t in a situation that the pimp was actually attacking her or whatever,I could see it not being actual self-defense. Premeditated actions most likely squashed any self-defense argument she could of had. Even in her situation of being pimped out…and even if the guy was scum for taking advantage of her immaturity in the first place. Unfortunate.