Jutting Sternum?

Ok… i know this is probably a physique issue but my sternum seems to “jut” out about 1/4 - 1/2 inch farther out (if you consider the base of my clavical the zero point) than my clavicle bone. Granted I’m measuring this with out a tape or anything but I have a “speed bump” basically right where my abs start and my pec attaches. Is this normal? I feel it makes my pecs look smaller than they are because of this offset and was curious if this was a normal occurence.

mike

sounds like your pigeon chested.

Okay, so he’s pigeon chested. Any advice to correct the situation? I have always had somewhat of the same “bump” and often wondered if it can be trained out. Although mine’s no where near an inch or so like above, it IS a minor annoyance.
Hopefully some of the T-Nation experts can jump on this one…

What is your chest measurement?

Inquiring minds want to know…

Does the “Neanderthal No More…” series delve into this?

If it is a true case of pigeon chest, its congenital and I don’t think you’ll train it out.

I am pigeon chested as well no way to train it out just get some goo chest muscle on it and you will not even know it is there.

I’ve just been checking on it some more. It looks like more of about 1/4 inch or little under only visible to me apparently because I asked my gf about it about a month ago. There is about a 2 inch section where the main chain of the upper abs hooks onto the sternum that it seems to affect. My chest measurement, last time I checked was about 39-40" right under the nipple parallel around the back but that was 6 months ago. I don’t have huge pectoral muscles so I feel that this is a concern at least for me. Can someone explain “pigeon chest”? Looking from the side it is not noticeable but to me it seems very noticeable when straight on mainly, imho, to my lack of chest development which is one of my weaker points, along with my squat. Just in case someone asks, yes I squat(~280lbs max), deadlift (330 lbs max) and my bench just for comparision is around 230-240. 180 lbs, 13-16% bf by guestimate since I have some definition on arms and upper abs. Currently doing TBT training every 48-72 hrs, following it as exactly as possible. Current nutrition breakdown 2800 kcals / day, ~30% protein, 30% fat,40% carbs (mainly from egg bagels (2 a day) / fruits ). That should be most of the information that I could give without an actual pic. I’ll see if I can’t get a better measurement on chest size, as well as a measurement in the actual area after work tonight.

mike

I think you simply need to add more chest mass. It is a little like complaining about your clavicles sticking out too far when your chest development is small. I have heard people with 12" arms complain about how there is a gap between their biceps and the elbow. I don’t think many understand how much added size can get rid of minor discrepancies in shape. Your chest is pretty small. That isn’t an insult, just the truth. A 40" chest still allows you to shop in the “young men’s” section of the clothing store.

One of my buddies growing up was the same way. Nothing you can do about it except get big and then it won’t be noticeable. Don’t obsess about it or anything though.

Thanks for the help fellas. I appreciate it. I figured the only way to help would be to add more mass which I’ll do after I diet some fat off.

Looks like compound lifts and more compound lifts for me.

mike

I have the same problem. The solution is to continue to build a bigger chest which I’m in the process of doing. It doesn’t that my pectorals are structurally narrow and one of my weaker looking body parts. The sternum bulge gets more noticeable when I bulk and the inevitable fat gain occurs throughout this area.

Your condition is called “Pectus Carinatum” (yes it has a name), the only correction for this is surgery, check out this site.

www.pectus.org/whatis.htm

Hmmm… that isn’t what I’m dealing with, thank god.

I guess I would describe mine better as “barrel-chested”, where the bottom of the rib cage seems to stick out a little bit further than my pecs when standing normally.

I just figured I needed to put on more chest muscle, and that seems to be the concensus here.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Hmmm… that isn’t what I’m dealing with, thank god.

I guess I would describe mine better as “barrel-chested”, where the bottom of the rib cage seems to stick out a little bit further than my pecs when standing normally.

I just figured I needed to put on more chest muscle, and that seems to be the concensus here.[/quote]

I didn’t think that anyone could diagnose your condition through words alone. Most of the time when we are beginning, we look at the smallest details and blow them up much larger than anyone else would notice. The usual solution to most of them is that you simply need to build enough size so that something that minor is no longer a problem. You don’t complain about wide hips when you have narrow shoulders and no leg development. Building up both areas would make your hips appear much smaller. Get it?

I just checked out that link you provided… and the post op picture of the middle surgery is what it looks like minus larger pectorals, more defined shoulders and arms like barrels. Ok… forget the arms comment. But it definately isn’t as bad as any of the photo illustrations. Maybe what I need is just a slab of muscle across my chest… hmmm… has anyone had pec implants?

lol… just kidding.

mike

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I A 40" chest still allows you to shop in the “young men’s” section of the clothing store.[/quote]

You are wicked, ProfX.