Justin Gatlin vs Usain Bolt

Who do you think is stronger of the two in bench press, squats, pullups, power cleans.? what about vertical jump?
Given their very different physical statures this in my view exemplifies the fact that sprinting is not just suited to certain body types.
I would be grateful for interesting comments and no trash talk please!
Thanks in advance lads

Bolt rules! Gatlin drools!

I would imagine gatlin is way stronger in the gym…

I read that Bolt isn’t allowed to squat and now occasionally does the leg press, I presume his coaches couldn’t care less about lifting and are terrified of letting his injuries reoccur.

[quote]gifted gonads wrote:
Who do you think is stronger of the two in bench press, squats, pullups, power cleans.? what about vertical jump?
Given their very different physical statures this in my view exemplifies the fact that sprinting is not just suited to certain body types.
I would be grateful for interesting comments and no trash talk please!
Thanks in advance lads
[/quote]

Worst post ever.

Sprinters definitely have a distinct body type.

But Bolt is just freakishly tall, compared to formerly successful sprinters.

He has managed to offset any perceived power shortage in the first part of the sprint with absolute dominance through his large stride.

I don’t know what kind of training he does, but I wouldn’t doubt it if Gatlin squats more than him. Probably benches more too. I’d put Gatlin’s minimum lifts at 500 squat and 300+bp.

Gatlin and Bolt are just cool names for sprinters.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

I read that Bolt isn’t allowed to squat and now occasionally does the leg press, I presume his coaches couldn’t care less about lifting and are terrified of letting his injuries reoccur.[/quote]

If Bolt doesn’t squat, he’s a complete loser…period and end of discussion. Squatting is the end-all and be-all exercise for EVERYONE…bodybuilders, water polo players, horse jockeys, chartered accountants, badminton players, and especially wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby players.

Squat heavy, squat deep - no variation, no excuses. If Bolt took up squatting I guarantee he could shave like 5 full seconds off his 100m time, no problem.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

I read that Bolt isn’t allowed to squat and now occasionally does the leg press, I presume his coaches couldn’t care less about lifting and are terrified of letting his injuries reoccur.[/quote]

If Bolt doesn’t squat, he’s a complete loser…period and end of discussion. Squatting is the end-all and be-all exercise for EVERYONE…bodybuilders, water polo players, horse jockeys, chartered accountants, badminton players, and especially wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby players.

Squat heavy, squat deep - no variation, no excuses. If Bolt took up squatting I guarantee he could shave like 5 full seconds off his 100m time, no problem.[/quote]

If he can shave off another 5 by including leg press I’ll be impressed.

He’d then be running a 100m just like me! As in not at all, like zero seconds; just sittin’ on the sofa watching Star Trek like I do.
Heck, if you can run a 100m in zero.zero then you could theoretically do an infinite number of 100m sprints in any given amount of time!

WHOA! I JUST BLEW MYSELF IN MY BRAIN PAN!

Heavy squatting as well as heavy lifting in general would kill them as sprinters, especially if they did it on regular basis. As for lifting weights they mostly do with light weights 25 - 40 % of their personal best, for explosive power, they do lots of plyometrics too. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t even know their personal best in certain lifts.

And such a competition who lifts more weight is completely irrelevant, because they aren’t powerlifters not even close… they are runners… they have to be very lean, explosive, fast… and during competitions they sprint with they own body weight, they don’t compete sprinting with a 150 lbs bag on their sholders.

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:
Heavy squatting as well as heavy lifting in general would kill them as sprinters, especially if they did it on regular basis.[/quote]

This is not true.

Both Johnson and Christie were well known to squat extremely heavy weights regularly to name just two.

I doubt they all do this, but the majority probably do.

Bolt is tall and has quite severe scoliosis so I doubt he back squats heavy if at all.

OP - I am sure Gatlin would like to swap his gym numbers with Bolt’s gold medals so doubt anyone cares who is better in the gym, including themselves.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:
Heavy squatting as well as heavy lifting in general would kill them as sprinters, especially if they did it on regular basis.[/quote]

This is not true.

Both Johnson and Christie were well known to squat extremely heavy weights regularly to name just two.

Bolt is tall and has quite severe scoliosis so I doubt he back squats heavy if at all.

OP - I am sure Gatlin would like to swap his gym numbers with Bolt’s gold medals so doubt anyone cares who is better in the gym, including themselves.[/quote]

The training of elite athletes has always been a big interest of internet wannabes… so, no wonder some of them created myths about it, and general public took them for granted… At one stage I have trained in a track and field team, and I know how the sprinters train and what is important in their training… Heavy weights and benefits from them are quite a bit over exaggerated on this site, and that is quite normal, because the site itself is mostly dedicated for weight training

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

This is not true.

OP - I am sure Gatlin would like to swap his gym numbers with Bolt’s gold medals so doubt anyone cares who is better in the gym, including themselves.[/quote]

The training of elite athletes has always been a big interest of internet wannabes… so, no wonder some of them created myths about it, and general public took them for granted… At one stage I have trained in a track and field team, and I know how the sprinters train and what is important in their training… Heavy weights and benefits from them are quite a bit over exaggerated on this site, and that is quite normal, because the site itself is mostly dedicated for weight training
[/quote]

You trained at a poor gym with poor instructors then.

Every top sprinter can squat at least 400lbs. Producing max power is incredibly important to sprinting. If you have a 200HP engine, you can make it as efficient as you want but you’re only getting 200HP at max. If you have a 400HP engine, it can be 75% efficient, but you’re getting 300 HP out of it.

You need a big engine in the form of big squat poundage.

[quote]Explosiv wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

This is not true.

[/quote]

You trained at a poor gym with poor instructors then.

Every top sprinter can squat at least 400lbs. Producing max power is incredibly important to sprinting. If you have a 200HP engine, you can make it as efficient as you want but you’re only getting 200HP at max. If you have a 400HP engine, it can be 75% efficient, but you’re getting 300 HP out of it.

You need a big engine in the form of big squat poundage.
[/quote]

Allyson Felix can squat 400 pounds?!

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:
[/quote]

WOW AT ONE STAGE YOU ACTUALLY TRAINED IN A TRACK AND FIELD TEAM!!!

LOL - it is nothing to do with internet wannabes and myths it’s to do with facts and reality you moron.

Plenty of elite level sprinters squat heavy weights and train with heavy weights in reality.

Just because you jogged around the park with a few guys once doesn’t make you Charlie Francis.

You are completely wrong. Simple.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

WOW AT ONE STAGE YOU ACTUALLY TRAINED IN A TRACK AND FIELD TEAM!!!

LOL - it is nothing to do with internet wannabes and myths it’s to do with facts and reality you moron.

Plenty of elite level sprinters squat heavy weights and train with heavy weights in reality.

Just because you jogged around the park with a few guys once doesn’t make you Charlie Francis.[/quote]

your angry respond means nothing because you don’t know who I am, you don’t know my achievements in sport, and of course you have no clue whom I trained with.

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

many squat heavy.

Why would it kill them?

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

many squat heavy.

Why would it kill them?[/quote]

yes, many squat heavy, but competitive sprinters very rarely if at all… yes, they probably do if they are too weak and just at the very very first stages of their careers as sprinters in order to have a necessary minimal foundation. Later, heavy squatting becomes counter productive because heavy lifts are slow, while sprinting is a very fast movement, it takes many days to fully recover from heavy squatting, while legs are already more than strong enough to move the body weight. Heavy squatting makes hamstrings tight and interferes with sprinting…Plyometrics are way more useful for them, while actual sprinting and working on technique are the most important and naturally takes the most time of their training, and that’s why they basically train with such principals.

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:
but competitive sprinters very rarely if at all… yes, they probably do if they are too weak and just at the very very first stages of their careers as sprinters in order to have a necessary minimal foundation. Later, heavy squatting becomes counter productive because heavy lifts are slow, while sprinting is a very fast movement, it takes many days to fully recover from heavy squatting, while legs are already more than strong enough to move the body weight. Plyometrics are way more useful for them, while actual sprinting and working on technique are the most important and naturally takes the most time of their training, and that’s why they basically train with such principals. [/quote]

Dude you do not know what you are talking about.

During off season, MANY competitive sprinters squat very heavy. It is not a “slow” movement - you are talking out of your ass. For someone proclaiming to know alot about track and field, wtf does that even mean? It is a meaningless comment.

There are plenty of videos of sprinters, track cyclists and NFL players (to name just a few sports where speed is the goal) who squat EXTREMELY heavy - all of which are looking for maximum speed and power.

There is ALOT of video evidence and literature for all of this proving that you are wrong.

Just my observation from doing 8 years of track and field, you need big strong legs to get a good start and a good push off the blocks (along with a good reaction time); a large majority of the guys who would place to go to the state championships looked like they lifted, a lot (most notably they had huge quads; if it wasn’t from squats, then other exercises as I can guarantee you they spent a lot of time in the weight room). Sure occasionally a skinny dude could get by because his top speed was greater (something like squats may not have good carryover to top speed), but those were usually exceptional cases.

Notice how a guy like Usain Bolt isn’t really ahead in the 100m until after like the 70 m mark; my theory is that the bigger stronger guys with their superior relative leg strength are able to get a better start and acceleration, but guys with freak genetics and top speed can surpass them.

IMO I think it is silly to say strength training isn’t that important for a sprinter and is only for those who are weak; sure, practicing sprints is the most important, and at some point they may be maintaining their squat poundages rather than pushing them up and up. But as others have said, coaches have used strength training successfully to increase sprint times and that shouldn’t be overlooked.

Oh and according to one article Allyson Felix squats over 300 lbs (and she’s tiny).