T Nation

Just used olive oil in my p+f shake

I unexpectedly ran out of flax and fish oil today. Due to the shortage I just used virgin olive oil in my pre bed shake.

2 tablespoons to be exact... 240 cals.
mixed with 2 scoops low carb vanilla grow.

Yumm, it tastes too good to be the right decision.

Anyone else ever do this?

Every day for at least 2 years. Olive oil is a great source of monounsaturated fats.

I used to take mine straight from the bottle then chase it with something else. Started out, like you, as a desperate measure when I had nothing else, but I got used to it for awhile.

Yeah, it's pretty good, too.

Feel free to smack me, but heavy cream added to a protein shake made with water makes it taste soooo good.

Yep, I put flax oil and olive oil in my shakes.

Olive oil and vanilla low carb grow is good stuff. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try that with the chocolate--I can't imagine making it much better.

So can it be safe to say that one could substitute olive oil for flax nutritionally? Or at least alternate them every week or two?

peri,

Alternating oils is always a good idea.

peri,

Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat while flax oil is a polyunsaturated fat. In my opinion, you should be taking both. Read the fat roundtable and JB gives his recommendations in there. They both have their benefits. I have heard that olive oil increases natural T and that flax oil speeds up your metabolism. Maybe someone can explain it better than me. I'm kinda strapped for time.