T Nation

Just Tried Strongman Training!

Yesterday I tried strongman (strongwoman?) training and it was SO COOL! There are a few contest coming up in New England this summer and I’m thinking of giving it a try. I learned how to flip a tire (I couldn’t flip the 550lb one without help, but I learned the technique). I did a lot of push presses, simulated conan’s wheel and odd object lift/stones. I dragged a heavy sled, too.

I can really see me liking this stuff, it was a blast. John Sullivan at Excel gym in Waltham was really great about teaching me lots of different stuff and I’m going to try to workout there once a week to practice (I’ll workout at home the rest of the time). It’s so motivating to have something specific to train for and I’m excited!

Anyone else currently doing strongman training and competing?

Not yet but there is a guy at my gym that competes and I’m going to ask him if I can tag along the next time he trains. It seems like it would be fun to break up the monotony of always being in the gym.

I am currently training for my first powerlifting meet which will be on August 2nd. Having that goal is great motivation to keep working hard in the gym.

Haven’t been doing event training in a while (next weekend will be my first weekend back) but I’ve done 2 competitions so far (along with the PL meets I’ve done).

Once I start events, I’ll be training in the gym about 3 times per week depending on how I feel with 1 event day a week.

Welcome to the other darkside. Sully is a great coach to have for SM.

Thats awesome, It really is a lot of fun.

I have been competing for the past year and have done 5 comps. 6th is on June 7th.

Just trying to actually get good at this stuff.

That’s awesome Jilly! Your going to be amazed at what this type of training does to your body.

Nothing like dragging a sled or pushing a car to blast your lower body! There is alot to be said for the cardio aspect of this sport. Have fun and ask questions, doing strongman has kept me excited about lifting over the past couple of years.

Monopoly

This is absolutely something I want to do this year. There is a competition in August in Woodstock that I would like to be in. I’ve tried a few things like farmer’s walk and log press. I want to do more. I found the little bit that I did, to be an incredible rush.

In fact, I’m trying to see if there is a group in Hamilton (Ontario) that I can work out with. I don’t have my own tires or anything :slight_smile: It seems like it would be fun training with a couple of people. Normally I train alone. If anyone knows anyone…

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
This is absolutely something I want to do this year. There is a competition in August in Woodstock that I would like to be in. I’ve tried a few things like farmer’s walk and log press. I want to do more. I found the little bit that I did, to be an incredible rush.

In fact, I’m trying to see if there is a group in Hamilton (Ontario) that I can work out with. I don’t have my own tires or anything :slight_smile: It seems like it would be fun training with a couple of people. Normally I train alone. If anyone knows anyone…[/quote]

I’m already PM’ed this to Jilly, but if you’re interested in strongman you should check out http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum

It’s a strongman based forum with a lot of very strong people posting and quite a few females. You might have luck finding someone to train with in your area on that site.

Also, for those looking to compete:
http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

In fact, I’m trying to see if there is a group in Hamilton (Ontario) that I can work out with. I don’t have my own tires or anything :slight_smile: It seems like it would be fun training with a couple of people. Normally I train alone. If anyone knows anyone…[/quote]

Post on the ontario strongman forum with this question, I’m sure someone will respond, I know there are guys near Hamilton that do it, at least in Ancaster anyway.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

I would be lying if I said there were a lot of females involved in the sport in Canada.

Like the poster said above me, go post at www.ontariostrongman.ca … you’ll be bound to find someone in that province.