T Nation

Just the Right Weight?

Im 6’0 165…I’m currently 15 years old… and have pretty much no fat…except a little bit on my stomach. Is this just the proper weight i should be at if i have been lifting for about 8 months now?

Also…just a quick question…my brother told me that the kidneys or whatever only absorb a certain amount of protein…something like .008 of your protein intake. IF this is true…dont we then shit out most of the protein we eat?

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:
Im 6’0 165…I’m currently 15 years old… and have pretty much no fat…except a little bit on my stomach. Is this just the proper weight i should be at if i have been lifting for about 8 months now?
Also…just a quick question…my brother told me that the kidneys or whatever only absorb a certain amount of protein…something like .008 of your protein intake. IF this is true…dont we then shit out most of the protein we eat?[/quote]

There is no “proper” weight, except the weight at which you are satisfied with yourself and feel good.

Protein that is not used for synthesis will simply converted and used up in the caloric process, similar to carbs and fat. (4 kcal per g of Protein) This will also happen if there is a demand for amino acids but insufficient caloric intake (meaning if you do not eat enough calories the protein you consume gets “wasted”)

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
There is no “proper” weight, except the weight at which you are satisfied with yourself and feel good.

Protein that is not used for synthesis will simply converted and used up in the caloric process, similar to carbs and fat. (6 kcal per g of Protein) This will also happen if there is a demand for amino acids but insufficient caloric intake (meaning if you do not eat enough calories the protein you consume gets “wasted”)[/quote]

I know you meant 4kcal per gram of protein, just to make sure Jerry doesn’t get confused.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
There is no “proper” weight, except the weight at which you are satisfied with yourself and feel good.

Protein that is not used for synthesis will simply converted and used up in the caloric process, similar to carbs and fat. (6 kcal per g of Protein) This will also happen if there is a demand for amino acids but insufficient caloric intake (meaning if you do not eat enough calories the protein you consume gets “wasted”)

I know you meant 4kcal per gram of protein, just to make sure Jerry doesn’t get confused.[/quote]

Ah, thank you :slight_smile:

Your kidneys don’t filter protein, they filter the blood. If it goes through your kidneys then it has already been digested and absorbed. You don’t shit out protein, basically it is either used to build tissue, stored as fat, or used for energy; so eat your protein.

There is no right weight, there is only as big and as lean as possible.

.008 of your protein intake, ehh. Did you know that 81% of statistics are made up right on the spot, but that only applies to 5 out of 6 people.

Eat, Eat, Eat, Eat, Lift, Eat, Eat Sleep/Repeat

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Your kidneys don’t filter protein, they filter the blood. If it goes through your kidneys then it has already been digested and absorbed. You don’t shit out protein, basically it is either used to build tissue, stored as fat, or used for energy; so eat your protein.

There is no right weight, there is only as big and as lean as possible.

.008 of your protein intake, ehh. Did you know that 81% of statistics are made up right on the spot, but that only applies to 5 out of 6 people.

Eat, Eat, Eat, Eat, Lift, Eat, Eat Sleep/Repeat[/quote]

Did you also know that 6/5 people have problems with fractions?

To the OP, don’t believe the rumors you hear on protein. Did you know that the award winning nutritionists (who are fat and out of shape) only recommend 20-50 grams of protein. Read the articles on this website for nutrition needs. For now, they are your best source.