Just Starting

Hi, I’m a freshman in highschool (9th grade) and have just become interested in weight training to help me out with my martial art training. I’m looking to build strength while putting on the least bulkiness (weight doesnt really matter) I have somewhat of a program set up, I was just wondering if it was what I was looking for.

I’m 5’11" about 140lbs with 8-10% body fat(varies occasionally) and eat around 3000-4000 calories daily on a somewhat healthy diet. Just keep in mind that I’m a martial artist so I can take more than this workout if need it be. Mind over matter. I’m open for suggestions, Thanks.

I heard that the best way to increase strength is to do one set with the heaviest weight you can do 6-10 reps, so this is my work out of this. I’ve tried it a few times and I like it. Just put in you advice and thoughts.

1x6-10 Squats
M/W/F

1x6-10 Leg Extensions
M/W/F

1x6-10 Leg Curls
M/W/F

1x6-10 Dumbell Pullovers
M/W/F

1x6-10 Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press
M/W/F

1x6-10 Seated Rows
M/W/F

1x6-10 Barbell Bicep Curl
M/W/F

1x6-10 Bench Press
M/W/F

1x6-10 Tricep Extensions
M/W/F

1x6-10 Weighted Pullups
M/W/f

1x6-10 Weighted Dips
M/W/F

1x6-10 Weighted Incline Crutches
m/W/F

1x6-10 Weighted Standing Calve Raises
M/W/f

1x6-10 Shrugs
M/W/F

---------------------- Off/Rest Days
T/Th/Sat
1-2x100 Variety Pushups

3x10 Clap Pushups

1-2x15 Pullups

1-2x15 Curlups

1-2x10 Handstand Pushups

1x300-500 Variety Crutches

-------------------- M/T/W/Th/F/Sat

60-90 minutes Taekwondo Practice

30-60 minutes Hockey Practice

-------------------- Th/Sat

Kicking Speed Drills 15-20

OK #1 TOO MUCH pick a few exercises and do them each of three days base it on three exercsies one push one pull, one legs, then a core exercise that should be MORE than enough with your other training, Keep to BIG compounds, deads, squat bench OHpree rows, chins.

Vary your rep ranges go HEAVY one did moderate weight and volume another, and maybe a bit higher volumes. You arent going to magically get HUGE and bulky you have to eat for that and you just staring out best off not going heavy all the time or even veryoften you need to get accustomed to it.

check out TBT by Chad Waterbury.

also I see no days off you list off days then a ton of exerciese you’ll be doing. brother you progress and get stronger restiing not in the gym or working out doing more damage take at last a few days off a week.

That should about get you started also read the newbie thrad pinned in this forum.

Phill

[quote]cmhsspartan wrote:
Hi, I’m a freshman in highschool (9th grade) and have just become interested in weight training to help me out with my martial art training. I’m looking to build strength while putting on the least bulkiness (weight doesnt really matter) I have somewhat of a program set up, I was just wondering if it was what I was looking for.

I’m 5’11" about 140lbs with 8-10% body fat(varies occasionally) and eat around 3000-4000 calories daily on a somewhat healthy diet. Just keep in mind that I’m a martial artist so I can take more than this workout if need it be. Mind over matter. I’m open for suggestions, Thanks.

I heard that the best way to increase strength is to do one set with the heaviest weight you can do 6-10 reps, so this is my work out of this. I’ve tried it a few times and I like it. Just put in you advice and thoughts.

1x6-10 Squats
M/W/F

1x6-10 Leg Extensions
M/W/F

1x6-10 Leg Curls
M/W/F

1x6-10 Dumbell Pullovers
M/W/F

1x6-10 Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press
M/W/F

1x6-10 Seated Rows
M/W/F

1x6-10 Barbell Bicep Curl
M/W/F

1x6-10 Bench Press
M/W/F

1x6-10 Tricep Extensions
M/W/F

1x6-10 Weighted Pullups
M/W/f

1x6-10 Weighted Dips
M/W/F

1x6-10 Weighted Incline Crutches
m/W/F

1x6-10 Weighted Standing Calve Raises
M/W/f

1x6-10 Shrugs
M/W/F

---------------------- Off/Rest Days
T/Th/Sat
1-2x100 Variety Pushups

3x10 Clap Pushups

1-2x15 Pullups

1-2x15 Curlups

1-2x10 Handstand Pushups

1x300-500 Variety Crutches

-------------------- M/T/W/Th/F/Sat

60-90 minutes Taekwondo Practice

30-60 minutes Hockey Practice

-------------------- Th/Sat

Kicking Speed Drills 15-20[/quote]

Firstly, I think you’re severely overestimating your daily caloric intake. Either that, or you have the most insane metabolism I’ve ever heard of. But I doubt it.

Secondly, I agree with Phil. Way too many exercises. I can, however, understand why you would plan the workout the way you did. I assume your logic is something like “I want to train my entire body. I’d rather a small volume on each muscle in the body instead of a large volume of certain select muscle groups”. This resulted in the workout plan you quoted.

What is wrong with this thinking? Nothing. I think it is fine to want to train the entire body every workout. Your method, however, is not good. Why? You are training each individual muscle in isolation. This will result in muscles which, relative to your peer group, are strong. But only in isolation. This strength will not transfer very well to movements which recruit many different muscle groups at once. This is why Phil suggests compound movements. Exercises such as bench press, deadlift and squat recruit many muscle groups to be performed sucessfully. Success in these lifts transfers to what is known as functional strength (ie. strength which is useful outside of the very specific movements found in the gym).

In summary : Stick to the big movements. Do variations of them 3 times a week. Check out Chad Waterbury’s section for good programs which are in this vein.

-Cloth