T Nation

Just Starting

Hey everyone,

I have wanted to do serious weight training for a long time. Now that my College has finished its new gym I am determined to actually make that dream a reality. I am 19 years old, 5 foot 9 and, weight 140 pounds. I am very skinny and have always been rather skinny. I have read all of the articles and posts on how to start things off, so I know that I need to stick to compound exercises, drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, and get a healthy diet going.

Here is where my problem is though, the diet. I am really busy with classes and do not have access to a kitchen of any kind, just a disgusting microwave. Add on to this the fact that the cafeteria is only open 3 times a day for an hour or two (some of which I am in class) and it gets really tough to get the amount of food that I need to start putting on some muscle.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get my diet under control or what I should do? The help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I say get your hands on anything you can get and eat it. But seriously if you live near a a half way decent grocery store they have to have things like already roasted chicken or turkey, if they have this they usually have sides as well. Load up on that stuff to put in the fridge. I know some people don't like the steamed veggies that come in a bag but you could do that, or put them in a bowl with water and cook until done, usually a minute or so after the water really heats up or begins to boil. Deli meats and nuts would work too.

Do you have access to a refrigerator? If so, also drink lots of whole milk. Also, I didn't do this in my early college years (didn't live on campus), but I hear stories of ppl stealing food...or storing it and then saving it or something.

Basically, if you have some sort of access to a refrigerator, you will be much better off. The pre-cooked chicken is a great idea. You might have a hard time eating clean, but at your weight, I'd suggest even some fast food would work while your on your program (of which i suggest you do Starting Strength). Also, get some whey protein and/or a meal replacement drink.

If you have a blender, you can experiment with some smoothies with peanut butter and fruits and veggies (from what I know, peanut butter doesn't need to be stored in a refrigerator if you don't have access to one). If you don't have a refrigerator, then you might have to resort to alot of canned food (tuna, chili, etc). Careful with the sodium content though. I know the T-Nation crowd won't like the canned food idea, but you might have to revert to it. Basically, if you can get your hands on refrigerator (since you don't have a kitchen to work with), it would help you out alot.

Also, not to be too personal, hows your financial situation? That may also be able to influence if you can buy pre-made food (like whole foods, decent and somewhat "healthy" fast food places, etc)

peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. GOGOGO ~

Defintely don't miss a meal. Take the cafeteria for all the eggs, meat and vegetables you can manage.

Keep protein powder around for two more meals a day. Also snack on nuts, cott cheese, greek yogurt, fruit.