T Nation

Just Starting the Deadlift

I have decided to include the deadlift into my workout. I know my form probably sucks, and I have tried both regualr deadlifts and sumo deadlifts. I have found sumos to “feel” easier, and it seems like I can do more weight. And I guess it stress more of the legs, which I need?

So what are the differences between the two (in terms of muscle focus)? Is maintaining form easier with sumos? Can you do more weight with them too?

I’m a beginner so Im not offering any advice but check this out. May not directly answer the questions you had but should help.

Just depends on your goals man. If you have aspirations to be a powerlifter play around and train both see which is more comfortable and which you are stronger in. If Strongman competition is your goal I recommend conventional as sumo is 90% never allowed in competitionn.

Also I believe conventional is much more spots specific as I don’t know of many sports youcwould be so wide. Although that doesn’t mean sumo shouldn’t be trained atleast occasionally as it is one of the best builders hip glute and hamstrings in my opinion.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
I’m a beginner so Im not offering any advice but check this out. May not directly answer the questions you had but should help.

O

Great article. Thanks!

My main goal is strength. I’m a boxer who is at the low end of my weight division, so I need strength and I can put on 5 lbs of muscle and still be ok.

If I was you when it comes to a sport like that the conventional deadlift would be best. But even better if your not already doing them would be power and hang cleans.

Conventionals are best for more rounded strength, Sumos work the glutes more. Just because you can pull more weight doesn’t necessarily mean you’re stronger. Unless you’re doing stiff leg or other hamstring work I would recommend pulling conventional

[quote]Reed wrote:
If I was you when it comes to a sport like that the conventional deadlift would be best. But even better if your not already doing them would be power and hang cleans.[/quote]

Yeah, I wish I could work with someone who could show me the proper form. I don’t want to injure myself with some of the oly lift. I guess it might be worth just hiring a trainer/coach to teach me properly. Most guys at my gym have suspect form.

Have you watched any of Rippetoe’s videos, or read anything he’s written on the subject? Or Pavel Tsatsouline?

A qualified real-live-in-person-coach is always going to be better, but I’ve found both Pavel and Rippetoe’s material helpful. As well as just watching “rate my form” videos around here.

i did them the other day for the first time not sure how good my posture was… but i did them and sqauts with a good weight and after it my legws were jelly! and sore the nesxt day and even today lol but damn it feels a good sore.

Did deadlifts for the 1st time last thursday, let’s just say my lower back, glutes, traps, hamstrings were sore. That put me out for 2 days lol but yeah it was a darn good feeling