T Nation

Just Starting Out

I’m just starting out some bodybuilding/weights traing in the last few weeks.

Mainly I started cos I was sick of myself, always partying, always being broke, low in self esteem also.

Just wondering if anybody can give out some helpful tips on anything at all.

Id love to get my upperbody a lot bigger. I am enjoying what i’ve done so far but i want to keep educating myself also.

those are great reasons for wanting to start out. i am almost 19 and started (seriously training) for kind of the same reasons about a year ago - i am very happy with my gains and i think bodybuilding/weight training and conditioning will always be a significant part of my life.

in terms of tips, firstly although a bigger upperbody is a good goal, you shoul dnot neglect ur lower body as almost all men who casually train in the gym once or twice a week seem to do. if u do, you will end up looking silly with toothpick legs or will just sacrifice overall size gains imo. in terms of diet, dont get too complicated at first - if you are naturally skinny just focus on eating a meal or shake every few hours containing at least 30g protein and and some carbs, and eat healthy fats from nuts, avocado and olive oil. most of all, eat enough that u gain weight and dont fuss too much, just get on with it and eat.

I’m assuming you haven’t already read through this.

[quote]magee84 wrote:
I’m just starting out some bodybuilding/weights traing in the last few weeks.

Mainly I started cos I was sick of myself, always partying, always being broke, low in self esteem also.

Just wondering if anybody can give out some helpful tips on anything at all.

Id love to get my upperbody a lot bigger. I am enjoying what i’ve done so far but i want to keep educating myself also.[/quote]

The biggest clue I can give you is that…

At the end of the day you are on your own.

YOU have to do this, so do something for yourself, don’t go looking for hand outs…

Don’t bitch 'cause I didn’t give you the Ultimate Programme, or nutrition plan, or pay your gym fees for 10 years in advance…

Learn to help yourself first…

Check out the Best of T-Nation, and the Beginner Board Stickies…

The most important thing is effort. Work as hard as you can on the basic lifts and you will be rewarded.

research proper training and keep it simple, you’ll grow more on basic programs than advanced ones. Push/Pull/Legs splits are great for anyone, beginners included. focus on compound movements and build a base. it doesnt sound fun at first but you dont want to be one of these guys that are 3 years in and wondering why their development still sucks when they finally realize what they should have been doing in the first place.

research proper diet
work your ass off
be consistent
be patient
listen to people with experience, even if it sounds a little counter-intuitive.