Just Starting Out Again

Ok I lifted for a few months when I was 16, I got some decent gains and then stopped for 4 years, got fat and am back at it again.

Currently I am 6’0, 185lbs, Mesomorph body type.

I’m doing “Mark Rippetoes, Beginning Strength” workout right now which goes as follows. (I train 5 days a week instead of 3, so I take my 2 day break on saturday and sunday)

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Tuesday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Thursday - Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Tuesday - Workout A
Wednesday - Workout B
Thursday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A -

3x5 Squat (115lbs)
3x5 Bench Press (110lbs)
1x5 Deadlift (100lbs)
2x8 Dips (I use the Gravitron for this, I do all the dips/pullup variants on the machine at 50% my body weight)

Workout B -

3x5 Squat (115lbs)
3x5 Standing military press (100lbs)
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (95lbs)
2x8 Chin-ups

I also do 30 Minutes of No Impact Cardio Running befor every workout.

It’s working rather well, I’m moving into my second week. I am moving into eating healthier, I cut out almost all sugar, but I’m not going overboard yet becuase I’m not sure how to formulate a diet specifically for me. I do however after every workout have an Amplify Shake. Pretty much pure protein, and an hour after that I usually put down either some Sushi or a Turkey, Pickel, Mayo sub from subway.

My goal is to get up to 220lbs of lean muscle and to have my body fat below 10% while having nice muscle definition.

Any suggestions/Critiques/Advice would be greatly appreciated.

You’re squatting everday, which probably is going to burn you out.

You also probably would be better off doing cardio after your workouts if at all.

I’d change the workout entirely though.

[quote]ExNole wrote:

You also probably would be better off doing cardio after your workouts if at all.

I’d change the workout entirely though.[/quote]

If you think I’d do better on another workout then please do advise and suggest. I actually did start only squatting every other day, as oppose to every day. But if you know of another workout that would benefit me more please do tell.

[quote]Wockilla wrote:
ExNole wrote:

If you think I’d do better on another workout then please do advise and suggest. I actually did start only squatting every other day, as oppose to every day. But if you know of another workout that would benefit me more please do tell.[/quote]

Try any of Waterbury’s or CT’s workouts. I’m using a westside/upper lower split right now, but I think we have different goals.

Quattro Dynamo or HSS100 would probably both work pretty well.

[quote]ExNole wrote:

I’d change the workout entirely though.[/quote]

I don’t think the exercise selection is terrible…It’s based on some of the best compound movements there are

[quote]davidtower wrote:
ExNole wrote:

I don’t think the exercise selection is terrible…It’s based on some of the best compound movements there are

[/quote]

It’s not awful, but he at least was squatting everyday, and has a pressing movement everyday.

He’s doing the right exercises, but it probably needs to be rearranged.

I think the starting strength program is a good place to start. It will build strength in all the basics lifts which should be your priority. However doing it 5 days a week your not going to get the intended benifits of this program. If 5 days was better then 3 don’t you think thats how it would of been layed out originally? If you want to exercise 5 days a week do cardio on the off days

Second you need to pick a goal and run with it. It sounds like your 6’ and a skinny/fat 185 and you want to get to a muscular 220lbs. So your going to need to build a whole bunch of muscle and lose some fat. Exercising regularly and eating healthy food should take care of much of the fat so I suggest eating to grow. If your weight isnt going up or your not seeing visable progress EAT MORE! Another tip, an amplify shake and some sushi isnt ideal post workout nutrition.

My advice:

Do starting strength as outlined for at least a few weeks if not months. While your getting stronger read all you can on nutrition and training. Once you have built up a base of strength/knowledge you should have some clue where to go from there.

yea I’m actually following Chad Waterburys Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy 1 program right now, three days a week. It’s working very well for me, I am already seeing newbie gains and while I’m not losing weight, I am seeing body fat disappear rather rapidly so thats always good. I did stop taking the amplify as it’s giving me really bad gas and even worse diahrrhea.

I am trying to eat healither but I still have alot of reading to do, but for now I’m eating whole grain no sweetend cereal in the morning. I usually have Cottage Cheese and Ramen for lunch along with a glass of ovaltine( its the best I can do for now). Dinner is almost always meat, veggies and salad. Usually steak and potatoes, or chicken breasts (non marinated) with some other vegetable.

So it is getting better, it’s just a life style change an it is proving to be a bit difficult to change, but I will perservere.

[quote]Wockilla wrote:
Ok I lifted for a few months when I was 16, I got some decent gains and then stopped for 4 years, got fat and am back at it again.

Currently I am 6’0, 185lbs, Mesomorph body type.[/quote]

6’-0" and 185lbs is not fat. You can say you got lazy, but not fat.

[quote]I’m doing “Mark Rippetoes, Beginning Strength” workout right now which goes as follows. (I train 5 days a week instead of 3, so I take my 2 day break on saturday and sunday)

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Tuesday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Thursday - Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Tuesday - Workout A
Wednesday - Workout B
Thursday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A -

3x5 Squat (115lbs)
3x5 Bench Press (110lbs)
1x5 Deadlift (100lbs)
2x8 Dips (I use the Gravitron for this, I do all the dips/pullup variants on the machine at 50% my body weight)[/quote]

You weigh 185lbs and you can only squat 115? Are they at least ATG?

Same comment on Deadlift. 100lbs, even for a newbie, should be pretty easy.

Are you sure you are pushing yourself hard enough? You could cut out two of your workouts each week, up the intensity a lot, and get far superior results.

[quote]Workout B -

3x5 Squat (115lbs)
3x5 Standing military press (100lbs)
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (95lbs)
2x8 Chin-ups

I also do 30 Minutes of No Impact Cardio Running befor every workout.[/quote]

Before? WTF? Who told you to do it before. That’s about as bass-awkward as you can get.

Wow you really need to read up on your PWO nutrition and nutrition in general. Read everything by Berardi.

Not going to happen with your current plan.

Lift hard.
Eat big.
Read more.
Sleep longer.
Repeat.