T Nation

Just Started Deadlifts

I am not a complete beginner but have neglected Deadlifting in the past to be honest, initially due to a training partner who 'didn't like' them and then literally just not being in the habit of doing them.

I am at a gym that doesn't have a squat rack/power rack so have been using leg press and smith machine squats as main leg exercises.

To get back into deadlifting I was going to start doing twice a week. At the end of back day with higher reps and also at the start of leg day with higher weight lower reps before moving onto the press/Smith.

Does this sound something worthwhile or am I wasting my time doing them twice a week.

I would not do them at the end of back day, even with lighter weights. The reason is that you will be tired, and risk compromising your form. Do them at the start of back day, after a proper warmup, and gradually build up to higher weights. Don't worry if you are not lifting much at the start - instead concentrate on proper form. Have someone who knows what he/she is doing watch you or post videos on this forum if you are unsure. Keep the reps per set low as well, as the more reps you do, the more your form will degenerate.

I don't think 2X/week is too much at least for now, as long as you keep them close to the start of your workout. As you progress to higher weights, you may find that once per week is enough to fully tax your system. Deadlifts are hard, but well worth the effort.

i agree with pcdude. have someone check your form and stick to low reps (3-5, maybe 6 or so occasionally). although i think deadlifting 2x per week, along with heavy squats (assuming you do squat) could be quite taxing in terms of recovery on lower back.

deadlifts 1 time per week for lowish reps aiming to get stronger week to week, with sufficient calories to support muscle strength and size is fine. many stronger guys deadlift once every 2 weeks or even just one time a month or even less!

how much are you doing currently on your work set(s)?

i agree with pcdude. have someone check your form and stick to low reps (3-5, maybe 6 or so occasionally). although i think deadlifting 2x per week, along with heavy squats (assuming you do squat) could be quite taxing in terms of recovery on lower back.

deadlifts 1 time per week for lowish reps aiming to get stronger week to week, with sufficient calories to support muscle strength and size is fine. many stronger guys deadlift once every 2 weeks or even just one time a month or even less!

how much are you doing currently on your work set(s)?