T Nation

Just Started Bulking Up

just a general question for everyone who has…or is on a bulk…do you ever find it hard to pack in 35-4500 calories of completely clean food per day…im having a lil trouble doing it…just wondering what would be accepectble for a clean to dirty food ratio…

im prolly around 90% clean foods a day…with maybe a meal or snack of something non clean(nothing like sugar/sweets)

Not really. Healthy fats are your friend when bulking(well, fats are your friend period). Adding peanut butter and oils to shakes is a great way to pack in come calories. I remember a guy who had recipe for a peanut butter and coconut milk shake that was about 700 calories itself. Some of my favorite calorie dense bulk foods are:

Mixed nuts(almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews and peanuts)are great because they require no preparation. Throw some in a bag and take them wherever you go.

avocados (avocado, mozzarella cheese, roma tomatoes, with some herbs drenched in olive oil is awesome!)

Shug’s morning hot protein and coffee drinks are awesome. Drink one or two of these(I have one with breakfast and take another with me for the drive to work)with breakfast and you are getting some extra protein to wash it all down.

You need to get creative with your food prep. Then it’s not nearly has difficult to get your bulk on.

i was tryin to keep my fats in check a little bit…but maybe i was a little misinformed…

i was tryin like a 40p/40c/20f or so…but would it be alright to go a lil more of a balanced diet

[quote]Dizzle wrote:
i was tryin to keep my fats in check a little bit…but maybe i was a little misinformed…

i was tryin like a 40p/40c/20f or so…but would it be alright to go a lil more of a balanced diet[/quote]

add more healthy fats

A cup of oatmeal will have something like 360 calories without adding anything too it. Add a scoop of whey and thats an extra 100-150 calories. Eat a peice of fruit, there’s 80-100 calories. Have a glass of skim milk, another 90-100. Have some whole wheat toast and peanut butter. Thats at least 700-800 calories right there. That’s just breakfast.

It’s not hard at all.

One thing that is great for breakfast or just in general and has ALOT of protein is cottage cheese. Put some fruit in it and there you go too. I am not sure whether its good fat or not but it seems like it would be good.

Have your three normal meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but, space them out and have a snack about two hours after each one. Make the snack a protein shake, 1 tbsp of olive oil (take it like in a shot glass), some mixed nuts and a piece of fruit, or a bowl of fruit cocktail (mixed canned or sliced )fruit. There, that’s an easy way to get some more calories in, eh, champ?

Oh, and don’t forget your protein shake before bed! Important, important!