Just Started BJJ - What Videos Should I Watch?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:

[quote]Ranzo wrote:
This is why i do nogi for MMA. I don’t want to feel people junk and the purpose of an armlock is to hurt the other guy… If you are training you can go slow and control the application, If it is a competition then the guy should tap. Cups are required in MMA Who wants some other guys junk free swining all around?

[/quote]

Hey yeah, i’m doing exclusively no-gi for now for the purpose of of MMA. I know the pursists will tell me i need to learn the gi version and bla bla bla, not interested in having that argument. This is the path i’m going down and that is that.

And no way would i do this witohut a groin guard. I mean just the other day, during my first lesson, i was rolling with a little dude who wasn’t wearing a groin guard and totall squished his junk with my knee and i was like “dude, you need to wear a groin guard…” i thought this was ESSENTIAL equipment?

I can envisage this being even more necessary rolling with girls, that is HOT, and i do NOT want that to become apparent, if you know what i mean. hehe.

[/quote]

Jesus what are you 15 years old?
[/quote]

I’ve been grappling nearly 3 years and still have his problem. I’m 24, hahah.

I think it’s normal. I do NOT, however, come close to getting wood. Maybe my test levels are low or something, but if that shit happens you have some serious control issues, lol.

I’ve been training for BJJ for about 4+ years, and have always found value in watching video (any art for that matter). This is my favorite BJJ hl video, it’s crazy to watch Marcelo play around with Askren. It’s a testament to how much of a badass he really is, especially since Askren is no joke on the ground.

Marcelo Garcia is great multiple adcc and gi world champ. You can get a sub on his site and watch a lot of instructional videos.

Wildflower, I don’t think you are going to like the reality of your responsibilities as a new ground fighter.You are a beginner level ground fighter. You really only have one job and all video you watch should be based around becoming great at that one single responsibility. Gi or no Gi, you are at that white belt level. PM me for relevant video choices. Grass hoppa when you identify what that responsibility is ill link you to wonderful training aids.

I have a long letter for you wyldflower but i can’t seem to send it. I can’t find a way to PM you.

i think its important we dont completely dismiss visual learning. it can be a valuable aid when difficulties are found in the kinesthetic methods.

tenth planet has some useful sweep and escape videos that can get your mind working

Plenty of vids out there. Search youtube. You need to drill and spar though, but you know that.

Different vids help you at different stages of development. When I started out, the first vid helped me a lot. It was inspirational, beautiful, and gave me a feel of what BJJ (the art) was.

The next two helped me as I progressed as a grappler. I would get to half guard and have trouble progressing, so I step back, look at the problem and solve it on my own (vids, creativity) or ask my instructor.

After that, maintaining side control became a problem, then getting mount, then taking the back. And that’s just my positional game.

Treat your sparring as an opportunity to grow. Don’t neglect drilling. Don’t neglect things you suck at just because you’re good at other things.

Hope that helped.

rundymc good stuff. i just wanted to chime in as far as inspiration and grappling in mma i have to put kazushi sakurabas highlight and biography right up there

bwahahaha, looks like i spoke too soon… been getting my ass handed to me consistently… been tapping out like a little bitch all week! OUCH1!! MY KNEE GOT TOTALL FUCKED TODAY!!!

Thanks for the vids peeps, we get taught new drills every day and they’re all new to me i just wanna watch videos of THOSE ones, like Omoplata (sp) that i got taught today for the first time… i want to watch a video of a guy doing that REPEATEDLY all day so i can properly visualise how it’s properly done.

Damn man, my Brazilian instructors are soooooooooo cool, so much nicer than the Muay Thai guys ive been instructed by for the last 6 years (whom i love, but they’re just not the same)

x

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:
bwahahaha, looks like i spoke too soon… been getting my ass handed to me consistently… been tapping out like a little bitch all week! OUCH1!! MY KNEE GOT TOTALL FUCKED TODAY!!!

Thanks for the vids peeps, we get taught new drills every day and they’re all new to me i just wanna watch videos of THOSE ones, like Omoplata (sp) that i got taught today for the first time… i want to watch a video of a guy doing that REPEATEDLY all day so i can properly visualise how it’s properly done.

Damn man, my Brazilian instructors are soooooooooo cool, so much nicer than the Muay Thai guys ive been instructed by for the last 6 years (whom i love, but they’re just not the same)

x[/quote]

Might I suggest taking Sento and Cockney Blue’s advice about defense?

In the case of the omoplata there are a few things that the bottom man is going to have to do to you in order to apply the submission. Two very basic things that have to happen relatively early in the process are one of your arms(the one that is going to be attacked) is going to have to be at your side, usually with the hand touching the mat and they are going to have to get an angle that puts their upper body on the side of that arm.

So when in guard…

1.) Try not to put your hands palm down on the mat. If you have to post an arm do so quickly, get your balance and then put it somewhere less dangerous and more advantageous for you (their biceps, collar, etc.). If you have to post try to have your fingers pointing away from your body as opposed to forwards/the direction of your head or towards your own torso. This is a stronger position and will let you use a bit more muscle on the way to developing better technique.

2.) Try to keep a good posture (back straight, hips under you, arms controlling your partner, hands on THEM, your arms not across your own body- so your right arm is on their left side and your left is on their right, etc.), keep both your bodies in line until YOU need an angle to pass (so if your head is at 12 and your pelvis is at 6 so is theirs, when this changes it is on YOUR terms), try to keep their sacrum stapled to the mat. This will prevent them from scooting out to the side.

If these conditions are met you can prevent a lot of subs and sweeps before they start. When you feel their hips scoot out from under you and one of your arms being isolated try to return back to having both of your heads at 12.

None of this is going to fluster someone who is a lot better than you, they will find a way for you to hang yourself. That is the frustrating thing about someone good at BJJ/grappling. It is like grappling with a puddle of water. You think you are on top, then they are all around you and its “Why can’t I feel you, get back here, what are you doing? Hey, ow, ow, ow, fuck it I tap!” It should let you spend more time working against people closer to your level.

Hope that makes sense/helps a bit.

Regards,

Robert A

inside the guard posture is everything. If you maintain your posture it is virtually impossible to sub you. One of the biggest mistakes people make is letting their back round. Keep a natural arch to your back and keep in the middle of his hips (if he shrimps to one side, follow him). Focus on that and you are in a position to start thinking about passing.