Just Need to Confirm Some Things

Hey guys,

For the past few weeks I’ve been googling many of the questions I’ve been having, and trying to answer them myself, some of the impressions I’ve gotten may be completely off base, as I’ve got many conflicting pieces of information (internet - blessing and a pain!;)).

Anyway, I’m currently 6 foot, and 154lbs (70kg). A large, large percentage of this is fat, as I’m (apparently) very underweight, and yet still have no discernable six-pack!

My goal, is to look like this guy :

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/9117/rthj5fvw5.jpg

I’ve been following this for about three weeks : VideosHub | Popular Internet Videos

I can now bench about 40kgs, not great.

The impression I get, is that I should be concentrating on bulking - vis a vis eating as much as I can, about 4,000calories a day if I can manage it, about about 300g protein a day, and trying to do some low-rep, high-intensity exercises whilst at the gym.

I should try and bulk up to about 80kg, and then cut myself down, in order to get a body like the guy in the picture. Is this correct ?

I’m finding it very difficult to eat so much a day, although I’m now three weeks into working out, and I’ve gained 3kg (I was 70kg, now 73kg).

I’ve also bought some MassX drink mix, to gain some weight (it tastes HORRIBLE), and some protein shakes, which I haven’t really tried yet.

I can only make it to the gym about twice a week tops. I know, it sucks but my job takes up all my time, is it still possible ? I’ve been doing the exercises above almost daily for the past 2-3 weeks, and I think its time for a change now also (the only part of this exercise giving me trouble are the elevated pushups, which make my lower back hurt and the blood run to my head which is kind of uncomfortable). Can anyone recommend any other good, home programmes I could follow ?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the length of my post ! I just wanted to confirm some things and ask some more ! :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

OK. From one newbie to another:

Good. So your goal is an asthetic and healthy body. It is important to know what your goal is.

I’m not going to bother to look at that crap. You need to do these lifts: Bench,Squat,Deadlift,Pullup,Dips. You need to lift heavy (a weight which you can only get 6to8 reps per set is a good start). Look at the plans on this site for some good ones. WS4SB gets a lot of praise.

We all start somewhere. Progress is what gains respect.

No. You should be not be gorging on food to bulk. You are a beginner. Read on…

You need to eat a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, protein (meat, fish eggs) and good fats.

You need to eat 6 times a day.

You should get around equal amounts of your calories from protein, carbs and fat. There are more refined diet plans but this will see you make gains for a while yet.

A very rough guess is @ 150 BW and with the training you will be doing 2500 to 3000 calories a day is a good starting point. You will find that only eating healthy food will make 3000 calories a challenge.

If you start training like I just said and eating like I just said you won’t a BW goal is not for you just yet.

Your goal is to become stronger. Specfically you should aim for being able to do (for 1 rep only):

Bench 1.25xBW(85kg)
Squat 1.5xBW(105kg)
Dead 2.0xBW(140kg)

Your body will start shedding fat and building muscle because it will be forced to adapt and with all the nutritous food it will do so quickly. After 6 months re-think your short-term goals once more.

Yep, it is difficult. Get used to it. I would not worry about the scale just yet. Focus on the 3 goals above.

Supplements are not magic. Some protein shakes after a workout are useful. Some fishoil is useful to aid in recovery. Creatine is something to look at in 6 months time.

[quote]
*I can only make it to the gym about twice a week tops. I know, it sucks but my job takes up all my time, is it still possible ? I’ve been doing the exercises above almost daily for the past 2-3 weeks, and I think its time for a change now also (the only part of this exercise giving me trouble are the elevated pushups, which make my lower back hurt and the blood run to my head which is kind of uncomfortable). Can anyone recommend any other good, home programmes I could follow ?[/quote]

THREE TIMES A WEEK WOULD BE BETTER. Make the 2 times you can hit the gym really heavy days. Perhaps some bodyweight exercise on the weekend for 30 minutes and you’ve got 3 workouts a week!

No worries. My replys are very quick and dirty but just stick with it and read T-Nation when you get a chance.

Cheers!

There is really not much of an excuse for only getting to the gym twice a week. If this is something you want, you will make the time to work out, you have to make the decision if it is important to you. When I was in the corps there were periods when I only had an hour and a half of free time (to do laundry and all of lifes other chores) and I would spend it in the gym. Guys in Iraq right now come back from combat patrols and head right to the weight room. 2 times a week is not enough to see the changes you want.

Didn’t watch that video but if that is that stupid 300 workout, it is not a WORKOUT. It is a TEST, nothing more.

I see these kids in the gym doing it. I love the 300 movie, but I think that movie is doing what “Fast and the Furious” did for street racing and fart can mufflers.