Just Lost 40lbs, Should I Bulk?

So I just lost 40lbs since January of this year. I figured I’d do it really slowly and try and minimize muscle loss as much as possible. I went from being 255 at 6’2", to about 215. Never had my bodyfat taken, but I went from having a full blown gut, size 40 pants, to a 36 being quite loose with top row of abs showing now. Ok enough of the intro, so my real question is should I begin a bulk even though I’m naturally a guy that can gain weight rather easily.

I feel the need to really add some quality mass on since these last 9 months were pretty much torture mentally in terms of shrinking. If there are any key tips for “endomorphs” when trying to add size with minimal fat gain I’m all ears. I don’t mind if it is a slow process (which it undoubtedly will be) since I realize I have the patience to do things slow and steady if that is how they have to be. Last thing, I’m not one to care about not seeing abs, I just don’t want to be so fat ever again.

Starting a bulk immediately after a cut is a bad idea.

You need to maintain your current bodyweight/body fat % for a while in order to stablize yourself.

If you don’t do this, you will certainly gain back that 40lbs that you took so long not to loose.

8+ weeks.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Starting a bulk immediately after a cut is a bad idea.

You need to maintain your current bodyweight/body fat % for a while in order to stablize yourself.

If you don’t do this, you will certainly gain back that 40lbs that you took so long not to loose.

8+ weeks.[/quote]

I can speak to the veracity of needing to re-set your body’s default BF%, having experienced what happens when you switch from cut to bulk too fast.

It ain’t pretty.

8+ weeks is probably a good time frame.

I should have probably said that I’ve been at 215 for like 10 weeks now.

Whether you bulk or not really depends on your goals, if you want to gain size then you will need a calorie surplus. �??Bulk�?? is a pretty overused term though and people often use it as an excuse to eat loads of crap.

If you simply up your calorie intake by a few hundred calories a day (most say 500 but it doesn�??t have to be that high if you want to limit fat gain) and watch your carb timing then you should be able to increase muscle and limit fat gains

Plus, with regards to the whole �??regaining fat fast�?? thing, you�??re not getting to gain 40lbs of fat back overnight if your diet is off; just keep an eye on your weight and BF% and you�??ll soon see if things are going in the wrong direction and you�??ll be able to change things around a little

[quote]DaBeard wrote:
I should have probably said that I’ve been at 215 for like 10 weeks now. [/quote]

Well, if you have been able to hold steady at a certain weight for that long; then I think your body has stabilized (i “think” being the operative word).

If your going to bulk; don’t jump into it. 250-500kcal increases will show results in a week or two.

I just realized “Otep” is a band.

lol, i’m friggin smart.

Thanks for the tips. I think I will slowly add in the calories and see how that works in terms of minimizing fat gain.

I will say that I’m not afraid of gaining some fat back in order to maximize muscle gain, I’m not saying copious amounts of fat, but a couple pounds is okay to me since I know how to get rid of it pretty well now.