Just Joined

Hey T-Natioin. I stumbled across this site about two weeks ago and have been on Daily ever since. Im not a beginner, but im not advanced. I lift at work and im kinda isolated from serious weightlifters since i got out of the army about 18 months ago.

I lift 4 days on and 3 off, thats what my schedule allows: Chest/Tri, Legs, Back/Bi, Shoulders. I walk and run with the wife and kid on my days off. My biggest question, Is 1:30 enough time to work out, and what should i limit my rest period to between sets and exercises?

[quote]irishcop wrote:
Hey T-Natioin. I stumbled across this site about two weeks ago and have been on Daily ever since. Im not a beginner, but im not advanced. I lift at work and im kinda isolated from serious weightlifters since i got out of the army about 18 months ago.

I lift 4 days on and 3 off, thats what my schedule allows: Chest/Tri, Legs, Back/Bi, Shoulders. I walk and run with the wife and kid on my days off. My biggest question, Is 1:30 enough time to work out, and what should i limit my rest period to between sets and exercises? [/quote]

lately a lot of coaches and people have been advocating no more than an hour in the gym, b/c cortisol levels start to rise the longer you workout and this can halt your gains, but this rule can be stretched. And you need to know what your going for in order to determine your rest periods, whether it be maximal strength(longer rest periods) or to look good nekid(shorter rest periods).

I looking for strength. Looking good wont save my life. Endourance is big, too. My looks wont get me through a foot pursuit and a fight with some flea-bitten sack-o-shit.

[quote]irishcop wrote:
I looking for strength. Looking good wont save my life. Endourance is big, too. My looks wont get me through a foot pursuit and a fight with some flea-bitten sack-o-shit. [/quote]

wait, I’m confused, are you talking about chasing down and fighting a criminal with fleas, or collaring (get it? flea collar? see what I did there?) a constipated cat?

If it’s the former, good on ya, sprinting intervals will help. I’ve been using them to increase my speed and endurance for rugby and it’s helped a lot. If it’s chasing down the cat you’re planning your training around, um, I don’t really know what to say, my joke sort of ran out of steam there.

[quote]irishcop wrote:

I lift 4 days on and 3 off, thats what my schedule allows: Chest/Tri, Legs, Back/Bi, Shoulders. I walk and run with the wife and kid on my days off. My biggest question, Is 1:30 enough time to work out, and what should i limit my rest period to between sets and exercises? [/quote]

1:30 is more than enough time!! Seems like your doin split routines, any chance youd try a Total Body workout?? I use to be huge on Split routines and i recently switched over to Total Body workouts about 6 months ago and my gains/body comp has changed significantly for the best…

sometimes im out in 45-60 minutes…and if u do this, u can workout 3 days a week, than save that 4th day for sprints, which would greatly help your progress in the gym and to chase that piece of shit bastard dont if u need too!!! good luck…btw, ARMY?? Arent Ready for Marines Yet?? haha jk man, great to hear you were in the Army! hope this helped

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
irishcop wrote:

I lift 4 days on and 3 off, thats what my schedule allows: Chest/Tri, Legs, Back/Bi, Shoulders. I walk and run with the wife and kid on my days off. My biggest question, Is 1:30 enough time to work out, and what should i limit my rest period to between sets and exercises?

1:30 is more than enough time!! Seems like your doin split routines, any chance youd try a Total Body workout?? I use to be huge on Split routines and i recently switched over to Total Body workouts about 6 months ago and my gains/body comp has changed significantly for the best…

sometimes im out in 45-60 minutes…and if u do this, u can workout 3 days a week, than save that 4th day for sprints, which would greatly help your progress in the gym and to chase that piece of shit bastard dont if u need too!!! good luck…btw, ARMY?? Arent Ready for Marines Yet?? haha jk man, great to hear you were in the Army! hope this helped
[/quote]

Where’s the Air Force lovin’? :frowning:

Haha, during some of our PT sessions we do suicides on endurance days that really kick our ass. As for lifting isolation or full body, I can’t give any advice because I’ve never lifted full body yet.

Our suicides go as follows:

Sprint each run,
1/3 distance and back, 50 pushups
2/3 distance and back, 15 bodybuilders
3/3 distance and back, 50 flutterkicks
2/3 distance and back, 25 V-situps
1/3 distance and back, 10 jane fondas

Bodybuilders are where you stand at attention, bend over and put your hands on the ground (1), kick your legs back (2), kick your legs out to the sides (3) then back in (4), then pushup (down: i up: love), legs back toward hands (the air) and stand up (force). you can probably change the jingle or not say it at all if you in fact don’t love the Air Force.

Jane Fondas are to remeber the great American traitor during the Vietnam war, and to blast your legs one final time. To perform the Jane Fonda, stand legs shoulder width apart, bend over and grab your heals with your hands (kind of wrap them behind your legs, thumbs inward like a beer can). From this position, lower your butt as far as you can then blast it up. It does look really dumb which is why it is named after a traitor, but it’s very effective in blasting your legs after all of those sprints.

On top of that, I would suggest doing Arnold Runs if you have a smaller indoor track. These you need more than one person, but it’s a good sprint/jog exercise. Two or more people start out jogging very slowly around the track. The person in the back shouts “go” and the person in the front sprints around the track and catches back up with the team. Once that person is in back, they shout “go” and the next person takes off. 15 minutes of that, if you can do it, and you will be toast. I’ve only really ever made it for 4 rounds but then again I’ve only done them a few times.

Hope that helps with your sprint/endurance day!

im new i dont kno what to do… im on here to dicuss a very good stregth program so i dont get pushed around anymore … im about 150lbs and 6 foot with a very lanky frame.

Is this good or bad??..also i have no work out plan and i wanted some experts to kinda fill me in on what i need to be doing. On the court i am more of a wing player like a shooting guard and being a basketball player i deffinately dont want to loose flexibility but also gain it if i can.

Jumping is a big concern as well what can i do to be able to jump higher. I am sophmore at a power house high school in indiana trying to gain vauble varsity minutes next year. all comments are greatly appriciated. THANKS A LOT … pj

PJ,

Im guessing you are about 16? First off, be patient!! you are still growing up, and its hard to grow out, also. I buy the micronized creatine powder with about 250 svgs that lasts a long time. You should concentrate on eating rather than suppliments. A proper diet is the key to gaining weight.

Instead of creatine, invest in some weigh protien. There are plenty of articles in this site about how much protein to eat, along with carbs and fat. But dude, at 16 the sky’s the limit.

Greetings from a fellow badge & gun toter in Tornado Alley, Oklahoma. I’m half way through my ride (if I don’t opt for Plan B) and having the time of my life.

I found T-Nation way back when it was Testosterone.net (1998). Lots of good authors and information here.

Watch your six
Fred

thanks irish cop , but also do you know of any good workout plans that are made for what im trying to do … mainly build strength but also flexibility… thanks ooo and by the way your right im 15 about to turn 16 in may… i appriciate the advice.

[quote]PJ_jr wrote:
thanks irish cop , but also do you know of any good workout plans that are made for what im trying to do … mainly build strength but also flexibility… thanks ooo and by the way your right im 15 about to turn 16 in may… i appriciate the advice.[/quote]

PJ, make your own thread before you hijack! Haha, anyways, just do your best to read all of the articles on here and maybe even purchase a book or something. The best advice I could personally give to you as a new lifter would be to gather as much information as possible.

Another thing you may want to do is find a workout partner that really knows what they are doing. If you can’t do that, be sure to just watch people in the gym that you think you may want to compare to (but don’t be a creeper, that’d be just plain weird).

i dont know how to start a new thread … i have looked and looked and cant figure it out… how do you do it?