Just How Heavy Do We Need to Lift?

I’m 56…not doing too badly.

I just don’t see the value in this thread. The discussion seems pointless. If you don’t want to lift heavy, don’t. All have seen is a bunch of wasted verbiage. You insist on worrying about the perils of heavy lifting. This thread seems totally misplaced in Bigger-Stronger-Leaner forum.

2 Likes

But doesn’t the current science demonstrate that you can get bigger stronger and leaner while still lifting lighter? As long as you are still training hard of course…

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

― Socrates

I don’t care what I was designed for. I care about what I’m capable of.

2 Likes

How much lighter? 50% of maximum? 40% of max? And that should have been the focus of the thread, not the nonsense that comprises most of the posts.

2 Likes

No, not really. Read below by our resident guru.

This thread reminds me of something that could have been created by Castoli… vague thread, no purpose, non-subtle hints at wasted time.

Makes me wonder what OP’s thoughts are on Modern Monetary Theory…

Did you watch the account videos? They formed the basis of my post.

Sports scientists like Schoenfeld would disagree.

You can get leaner and grow big muscles without going very heavy.

But if you want to be strong, it’s gotta be heavy.

And if your body is Built or Designed to be good at a certain lift, like Plantz or Big Juluis Maddox, lifting “heavy” is going to take a lot of weight.

1 Like

Mine absolutely does. Its just my heart instead of my spine, but I still get up and get after it as much and often as possible.

Was what I did, in all regards- worth it?

Absofuckinglutely. It made me who I am, and I’m ok with me. Really wouldn’t have it any other way.

I might have died a couple times, and been in a drug induced coma or two, but I’ve lived my ass off the whole damn time! :rofl:

Let’s play that out… In his own words:

Intensity (i.e., load) has been shown to have a significant impact on muscle hypertrophy and is arguably the most important exercise variable for stimulating muscle growth (42). Intensity is customarily expressed as a percentage of 1RM and equates to the number of repetitions that can be performed with a given weight. Repetitions can be classified into 3 basic ranges: low (1–5), moderate (6–12), and high (15+). Each of these repetition ranges will involve the use of different energy systems and tax the neuromuscular system in different ways, impacting the extent of the hypertrophic response.

The use of high repetitions has generally proven to be inferior to moderate and lower repetition ranges in eliciting increases in muscle hypertrophy (24,71). In the absence of artificially induced ischemia (i.e., occlusion training), a load less than approximately 65% of 1RM is not considered sufficient to promote substantial hypertrophy (115). Although such high rep training can bring about significant metabolic stress, the load is inadequate to recruit and fatigue the highest threshold MUs.

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/35248131/mechanisms_of_muscle_hypertrophy-libre.pdf?1414057292=&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3DTHE_MECHANISMS_OF_MUSCLE_HYPERTROPHY_AND.pdf&Expires=1674680841&Signature=JiI4-9Ws5FJokxm3QMzd2bW8XDMZhwzONf5X1nxUiRrXkXbM0jaX8mI0w1NgQ0BUpTPPg80XIi80HIXXuLNy41jahYxjRrvdXoL-vmuw0B0GBEETliJPnMD0brnZB6Z3vypAaTwOOIV9rMop0ckW30MIoRFXJ6ngg-Bq00MzmCDuzqYtnWwU2XWD2l6uCtbN9Kuq2PJM1LKJNULhAtVV-cmcft7D839pBQMzm2jVUQ9SBMmVq-WwZfm-9hgJAqpLgXSdhS8S3co8DwE7zigm0dU2T65b998LoFk-44ire8osCTXSONkbtu786yeQxMT66KZI7QRzm9jiRACXHudZXw__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

Check please

3 Likes

My apologies if my thread doesn’t meet your moderation criteria. But I didn’t ask you to post or comment.

haha
hahahaha

What kind of asshat makes a statement “sChOeNfIeLd WoUlD dIsAgGrEe”, gets proven wrong IMMEDIATELY, then gets pissy about it? A fucking clown.

Good luck with your rambling bullshit thread dude. Imma keep doing things that “my body isn’t built for”.

5 Likes

Somebody had to make some sense.

Might as well have been him. :laughing:

1 Like

When done for reps though, 30% of your one rep max will eventually become 65% of your one rep max once you go deep enough? No? I was under the impression that proximity to failure is what’s most important. There have been a few studies where 30-50% was enough. Pretty sure I read here about a Schoenfeld study where 25-35 reps created the same hypertrophy response as 8-12 reps. Obviously this just goes for bigger and leaner, not stronger.

3 Likes

Obviously Andrewgen Receptors hasnt read that study…or has conveniently cherry picked an earlier one to suit his needs.

So… you were given a dose of truth…and you respond with insults.
Well that pretty much sums it up…conversation closed…

So my truth, which isn’t yours, doesn’t make sense to you? Fair enough…I can live with that. Won’t lose any sleep over it.

Oooh look what I found…and for full disclosure I’m okay with moderate rep ranges…
The Hypertrophy Rep Range: How Many Reps to Build Muscle?.