T Nation

Just How Bad is My Routine?

So I started lifting again around October, with about 9 years since I last lifted. Since then I’ve made consistent gains on every lift almost every week except curls and bench, I also lost a bit of weight but gained very noticeable amount of muscle especially around the shoulders.

So I change my workouts a little every now and then but here’s the basics

Day 1
Military Press
Shoulder Shrugs
Upright Rows (sometimes)
Lat Raise
Front Raise
Alternating Dumbell curls on an incline bench
Bodywieght Dips 3x failure
EZ Curl Bar
Tricep Rope Pulldown

Day 2
Squat
Barbell Glute Bridge*
Seated Hamstring Curls
Adductor Machine Inside and Out.
Seated calves 2 sets each of toes pointed in/out/and strait.
Thinking of adding Single Leg Squats

Day 3
Bench
Wide Grip Bench
Incline
Cable Flys
Bent over Row
Strait Leg Deadlift
Back Extensions
Pullups

Ab work when I have time/feel like it, probably average 2x a week.

I had been doing 3x10 of everything excepts dips (til failure) and squat, bench and bent over rows (3x5) but I’m going to switch everything except dips to 3x10

My work schedule is really fucked up so sometimes I workout 4 days in a row and take 4 off sometimes I’m able to go every other day for 5 or 6 workouts sometimes I do two on one off It’s just different, but I make sure I get at LEAST 3 workouts a week, most of the time it’s four.

Goals are weight loss by increasing muscle mass.

*had been doing these ones http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth But I’m going to switch to the one found here ( http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/glute_boy_speaks_an_interview_with_bret_contreras )

Biggest issue to me is not enough squat variations. Add in some front squats, zercher squats, regular deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, lunges, goblet squats, whatever. But the only bread and butter leg/posterior chain lifts you have in there are back squats and SLDL, you need more work/variation in that department man.

First up, do your core/ab work FIRST, that way you’ll never skip it - its easy to punish the fun stuff & then say fuck it when it comes to ab work at the end, so do it first because you’ll never say fuck it to the bench press.

Id change the order of your exercises too (as well as h4m’s advice - for the record, nothing beats overhead squats), from compunds down to isolation work / largest muscles groups to smallest…

[quote]sjfou wrote:
First up, do your core/ab work FIRST, that way you’ll never skip it - its easy to punish the fun stuff & then say fuck it when it comes to ab work at the end, so do it first because you’ll never say fuck it to the bench press.

Id change the order of your exercises too (as well as h4m’s advice - for the record, nothing beats overhead squats), from compunds down to isolation work / largest muscles groups to smallest…
[/quote]

You’re not recommending core work before squatting and/or deadlifting are you? That would be a bad idea.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]sjfou wrote:

[/quote]

You’re not recommending core work before squatting and/or deadlifting are you? That would be a bad idea. [/quote]

Also, I’d never recommend overhead squats to anyone posting in the Beginner’s forum due to the high level of technique and flexibility required to do them properly.

That’s a lot of volume IMO. Have you tried out Reg Park’s beginner routines? Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength? Texas Method? Stronglifts? Squats n Milk? I personally made a lot of gains using Reg Park’s stuff. Simple 3x5 of the big lifts.

"Reg Park and 5x5

The 5x5 model was Reg Park’s choice du jour for packing on slabs of muscle and producing hundreds of pounds of strength. This is also the model that Arnie came to know and love during his formative years. But this isn’t Bill Starr’s 5x5, this is Reg Park’s 5x5 and it’s a little different. The first two sets of five are actually used as warm-up sets. So let’s say we’re going to work our way up to a 150 lb bench, the first set of five would be about 60% or 90 lbs, and the second set of five would be about 80% or 120lbs. After that you would get down to the grit, what Reg liked to call Stabilizer Sets; 3 sets of 5 at 150lbs. So it would end up looking like:

5x90 (Warm-up @ 60%)
5x120 (Warm-up @ 80%)
5x150 (3 stabilizer sets)
5x150
5x150

When you can get all your reps of 5 at 150 lbs, you add 5 lbs. So next time your bench it would be:

5x95
5x125
5x155
5x155
5x155

Reg liked to use about 3-5 minutes to rest in between sets.

One more thing: When you’re first starting any 5x5 program you never want to start with your max. Typically you start 30-45 lbs below what you think you can do and work your way back up. Starting anywhere near your maximum capacity is a good way to stall out, so give yourself a running start. If that means starting with an empty barbell, well, just consider that Arnold and Reg both started at the same place you will.

Onto the programs…

The Reg Park Beginner Routine

Here is a workout that he and Arnold used with great success (provided by Kaya Park, Reg’s grandson)

Workout A

Back Squats 5x5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
Dips or Bench Press 5x5
Wrist Work 2x10
Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5x5
Rows 5x5
Standing Press 5x5
Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Wrist Work 2x10
Calves 2x15-20

Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Week 3: A, B, etc"

This is a write-up of the program from a user “bango skanko” at a site I can’t mention without getting edited by the mods.

just about the worst ive seen