T Nation

Just Got a Weird Phone Call

OK, so today I finally get some closure on a harassment case against these two older women at my internship. Long story, no need to post the whole thing here. Let’s just say I had nothing to do with these two people, and they were waaaay too focused on me. So it’s been dragging on for weeks, and it finally ends today.

So I’m at home and just before midnight I get a call from a restricted number on my cell phone. It’s a girl and she says something like “hey it’s nicole I met you at skybar a couple weeks ago in Springfield”. She then goes on to say that I gave her my number and name and she was just calling to see if I wanted to hang out or hook up, and that she remembers me as being really hot.

The only problem is I haven’t been to Springfield in a year, it’s on the opposite side of the state from me. She then says that she’s a medical coder or something at a hospital in Springfield. I tell her that I haven’t been anywhere near the town she said she saw me in, in about a year. So I ask her where she lives, and she coincidentally names my hometown. She then names a street that doesn’t exist in that town. I even map-quested it and it doesn’t exist.

So I say “are you sure you didn’t get my number from a friend or something?” She says no, she even remembers me, I was about 5 10, dark hair…distinctive looking she says…I ask how I look distinctive…she says that I have really full lips (which is true), and that I use a lot of tongue when I kiss (which is NOT true, quite the opposite actually, except for when I’m drunk). So we’re at defcon-1 for creepiness at this point…

I’m sketched out, so I ask if she has a myspace or facebook, since she’s 19 or 20. I tell her I’ll email her my link (basically I wanted to get an email address out of her to see if I could find out who this creep is). She gives me an email address (I later figure out it’s fake). I then say ‘well wait, what’s your name and lemme just search for you on myspace and i’ll add you’ she gives me her last name, and of course I come up empty when i search on myspace later. Google also turns up nothing on this girl at all.

Now here’s where it gets REALLY creepy. She claims that I gave her my phone number, which I NEVER do. AND she claims to know my last name. She was blatantly fishing too…she said “it was something like _____ or ______” both of which were somewhat close approximations of my last name. She sounded like she hoped I would say what it actually was.

Anyway, to wrap up this novel of a post, I told her 'yeah sorry if I sound sketched out…I just finished off a harassment case today against these two ladies at my internship…" and the girl starts asking what the ladies had done, like realllly interested in it.

So now I’m not sure if it was a friend of these ladies or what, but the fact remains I haven’t been to springfield in a year, I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER give out my last name to people, I don’t even give out my phone number to girls, (I GET girl’s phone numbers), she claims to be from my hometown, yet the street she named doesn’t exist, her name turns up nothing on myspace, and her email address appears to be bogus. This whole thing is really making me nervous, what should I do? I’m not sure if it’s connected to these ladies from my internship or if it’s just random, but the whole thing creeped me out.

Just ask her to meet and bring a weapon. If she’s a hot girl then sweet. If it’s someone screwing with you, well, they will be in for a surprise.

Why is this even a consideration?

Don’t meet anyone.

fella… pretend you are your own best friend. What would you tell him to do?

breathe… stay away from everyone but family.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
This whole thing is really making me nervous, what should I do?

[/quote]

I’m going to have to suggest something involving the pooper.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
fella… pretend you are your own best friend. What would you tell him to do?
[/quote]

definitely the pooper, then.

But seriously, there’s probably nothing you can do. The police won’t be able to trace the number without a warrant, and nothing has happened that would merit a warrant. You don’t know who it was or what they wanted. I say, pretend it never happened and go on with your life. If this person contacts you again, you may want to not talk to her.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Why is this even a consideration?

Don’t meet anyone.

fella… pretend you are your own best friend. What would you tell him to do?

breathe… stay away from everyone but family.

[/quote]

oh yeah, I had no intention of meeting this person

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
But seriously, there’s probably nothing you can do. The police won’t be able to trace the number without a warrant, and nothing has happened that would merit a warrant. You don’t know who it was or what they wanted. I say, pretend it never happened and go on with your life. If this person contacts you again, you may want to not talk to her.[/quote]

yeah, that’s about what I figured…strange though

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
But seriously, there’s probably nothing you can do. The police won’t be able to trace the number without a warrant, and nothing has happened that would merit a warrant. You don’t know who it was or what they wanted. I say, pretend it never happened and go on with your life. If this person contacts you again, you may want to not talk to her.[/quote]

Well there are other ways to trace a number besides the police, none of which are easy though. Verizon can do it if need be, or whoever your provider is. If you save the call on your phone and tell them what time it happened and that you have a harassment lawsuit in effect or some BS they may do it for you.

That is pretty eerie, man. Without going into too much detail, I had some experience with a crazy-stalker type person a few years back. I slept with a knife and a big-ass baseball bat next to my bed every night. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and

– Enter subjectivity, may be bad advice –

if this person calls you or contacts you again, I’d recommend NOT ignoring them. Talk it out with them, but throw them off balance by throwing out different things about yourself, unless you already told her too much.

[quote]SSC wrote:
That is pretty eerie, man. Without going into too much detail, I had some experience with a crazy-stalker type person a few years back. I slept with a knife and a big-ass baseball bat next to my bed every night. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and

– Enter subjectivity, may be bad advice –

if this person calls you or contacts you again, I’d recommend NOT ignoring them. Talk it out with them, but throw them off balance by throwing out different things about yourself, unless you already told her too much.[/quote]

I like that idea actually…see how they react to fake details.

It seems likely that this is related to the harassment case, but just to play devil’s advocate, have you considered the possibility that it’s not? The only reason I ask is that you seemed surprised that she was SO interested in the harassment case, asking what the women had done etc, but teh truth is, I am pretty intrigued by this harassment case for the basic reason that it is only very infrequently that you see a disclosure-type female harassing a male case. So I’m not saying that the phone call and the case ARENT connected, I’m just saying dont assume anything.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
SSC wrote:
That is pretty eerie, man. Without going into too much detail, I had some experience with a crazy-stalker type person a few years back. I slept with a knife and a big-ass baseball bat next to my bed every night. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and

– Enter subjectivity, may be bad advice –

if this person calls you or contacts you again, I’d recommend NOT ignoring them. Talk it out with them, but throw them off balance by throwing out different things about yourself, unless you already told her too much.

I like that idea actually…see how they react to fake details. [/quote]

Speaking from the lawyer point of view, I would go with the flat out ignore them and talk to your attorney about it. Might be absolutely nothing at all, but if you have any kind of case or settlement pending, the last thing in the world you want to do is talk about it… especially to someone who [i]MAY[/i] be seeking to undermine your case.

And yes, lawyers always give downer answers that are decidedly unfun.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
SSC wrote:
That is pretty eerie, man. Without going into too much detail, I had some experience with a crazy-stalker type person a few years back. I slept with a knife and a big-ass baseball bat next to my bed every night. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and

– Enter subjectivity, may be bad advice –

if this person calls you or contacts you again, I’d recommend NOT ignoring them. Talk it out with them, but throw them off balance by throwing out different things about yourself, unless you already told her too much.

I like that idea actually…see how they react to fake details.

Speaking from the lawyer point of view, I would go with the flat out ignore them and talk to your attorney about it. Might be absolutely nothing at all, but if you have any kind of case or settlement pending, the last thing in the world you want to do is talk about it… especially to someone who [i]MAY[/i] be seeking to undermine your case.

And yes, lawyers always give downer answers that are decidedly unfun.[/quote]

it may be unfun but you’re probably right!

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
Kuz wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
SSC wrote:
That is pretty eerie, man. Without going into too much detail, I had some experience with a crazy-stalker type person a few years back. I slept with a knife and a big-ass baseball bat next to my bed every night. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and

– Enter subjectivity, may be bad advice –

if this person calls you or contacts you again, I’d recommend NOT ignoring them. Talk it out with them, but throw them off balance by throwing out different things about yourself, unless you already told her too much.

I like that idea actually…see how they react to fake details.

Speaking from the lawyer point of view, I would go with the flat out ignore them and talk to your attorney about it. Might be absolutely nothing at all, but if you have any kind of case or settlement pending, the last thing in the world you want to do is talk about it… especially to someone who [i]MAY[/i] be seeking to undermine your case.

And yes, lawyers always give downer answers that are decidedly unfun.

it may be unfun but you’re probably right![/quote]

I had a woman do something similar to that about two years ago. In fact, she began showing up at my house, knocking on the front door at all times of the night to the point that I nearly called the cops. Mind you, I “met her” by opening my garage door and finding her standing there claiming she was looking for some old friend that used to live in my townhouse. Mind you, these were NEW townhouses, I was the second owner and I had known the previous owners as they were military…they hadn’t lived there long. In other words, she was lying her ass off. At first, I thought, “cool, I didn’t even have to go to a club!”…but then came, “hold up, that sure was fucking weird”.

I made the mistake of giving this woman my phone number…which she called day and night for weeks on end. We never went out. We never slept together. But that didn’t stop her from throwing rocks at my window one night when she thought I might be home.

That also freaked me out. I mean, who does that?

Bottom line, I would stay away. If I don’t approach them or at least meet them casually in non-suspicious circumstances, I leave them alone.

I have known way too many crazy women in my life time.

Call the police and file a report. Be proactive as much as you can. Cover your ass as much as you can. BELIEVE me when I tell you this, I had an experience with a woman trying to set me up over a revenge type thing. The authorities ALWAYS want to believe the woman over a man. Telling your friends about it and all that is fine, but it is not admissable in court if it came to that, because it is heresay. File a report, and every time she calls, file another one.
I smell a rat bro…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
Kuz wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
SSC wrote:
That is pretty eerie, man. Without going into too much detail, I had some experience with a crazy-stalker type person a few years back. I slept with a knife and a big-ass baseball bat next to my bed every night. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and

– Enter subjectivity, may be bad advice –

if this person calls you or contacts you again, I’d recommend NOT ignoring them. Talk it out with them, but throw them off balance by throwing out different things about yourself, unless you already told her too much.

I like that idea actually…see how they react to fake details.

Speaking from the lawyer point of view, I would go with the flat out ignore them and talk to your attorney about it. Might be absolutely nothing at all, but if you have any kind of case or settlement pending, the last thing in the world you want to do is talk about it… especially to someone who [i]MAY[/i] be seeking to undermine your case.

And yes, lawyers always give downer answers that are decidedly unfun.

it may be unfun but you’re probably right!

I had a woman do something similar to that about two years ago. In fact, she began showing up at my house, knocking on the front door at all times of the night to the point that I nearly called the cops. Mind you, I “met her” by opening my garage door and finding her standing there claiming she was looking for some old friend that used to live in my townhouse. Mind you, these were NEW townhouses, I was the second owner and I had known the previous owners as they were military…they hadn’t lived there long. In other words, she was lying her ass off. At first, I thought, “cool, I didn’t even have to go to a club!”…but then came, “hold up, that sure was fucking weird”.

I made the mistake of giving this woman my phone number…which she called day and night for weeks on end. We never went out. We never slept together. But that didn’t stop her from throwing rocks at my window one night when she thought I might be home.

That also freaked me out. I mean, who does that?

Bottom line, I would stay away. If I don’t approach them or at least meet them casually in non-suspicious circumstances, I leave them alone.

I have known way too many crazy women in my life time.[/quote]

You said you’d forgiven me!

I’m back on my meds now…

Not sure if this is the case or not but I used to work for a Private Investigator. When opening a file, we always did locates to verify a person’s location before we wasted our time doing anything else with the file. Tactics like this would not be uncommon and these locates are done by phone. You mentioned legal proceedings so a PI doesn’t seem that unreasonable. Not to make you worry or anything but just be careful what you say to anyone about what happened.

Good luck to you. It was a weird phone call and I hope it’s not some weirdo.

Just be sure to start using lotion all over your skin. Cuz when this SOB kills you, she is probably gonna wear you, so be a sport and keep that skin supple.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Speaking from the lawyer point of view, I would go with the flat out ignore them and talk to your attorney about it. Might be absolutely nothing at all, but if you have any kind of case or settlement pending, the last thing in the world you want to do is talk about it… especially to someone who [i]MAY[/i] be seeking to undermine your case.

And yes, lawyers always give downer answers that are decidedly unfun.[/quote]

I asked once a lawyer about something like this. Pooper-related advice followed.

I would call the police just to give them an idea of what happened so If it does escalate then you will have proof that you werent doing anything. If she is related to the case then it may be very important