T Nation

Just Got a Staph Infection

i have got 1 which i caught early,i think i got it st a bjj nogi comp last week ,i cant do any contact sports for 1 week.have any of you guys had 1 ,it suck =(.

I had an infection from Staph a couple of years ago from gym mats. Took me out for about two weeks. Best thing to do is keep the ‘blisters’ free of clothing and closely monitor them. Painful as hell when they start. They will usually be accompanied by swollen lymph-nodes. A good run of cipro will do the trick.

Get that shit taken care of NOW. I got one in the bursa of my right knee a couple years ago; apparently, if I had waited another day to go to the hospital, they might have had to amputate.

1 Like

i went to the docs yesterday and i gott cream that should sort it out called polyfax ,they are really painfull and i just want to attack them but know better,im pretty lucky i have a weights and cardio gym at home so at least i can do a little training to pass the time ,but i will especially miss bjj as i have been makeing gr8 impreovements lately .

Been there, done that. As long as you go in early, it’s no biggie.

I got one from ankle surgery when I was 18. Never saw a DR actually turn white before that. Purple shit running up my leg, hurt like nothing else. Took 1gram of antibiotics right in ass and had to go back every day for a week… so shity. My brother got one in his face from the mats at his school…

1 Like

since posting ,another guy from my club has got it on his face .its such a shame cos our instructor keeps the dojo really clean and has a lot of signs up about infections.
i have also heared that over cleaning the mats can be bad as the bug can buid up a resiliance to anti bac disenfectant,you just dont know what to do 4 the best .=(

Mine felt like cigar burns and at the worst the blisters were doubling in size about every 24 hours. Ended up with about a dozen or so. Tried to see the doctor and they scheduled me in for two weeks later. I called the local hospital and they told me to come immediately. I’d be worried if I got them on the face, as they can lead to significant scarring on more delicate tissue. Make sure your teammate goes to the Doc or ER. Might also be a good idea to recommend bleaching the mats with a strong concentration once or twice.

Bigjitsu did you end up with phlebitis in your leg?

Make sure you clean your equipment at home, just to make sure it doesn’t spread.

I’ve had one before, all i have to say is: Bleach.

ohh man i had impetego a form of CA-MRSA and you NEED to have gone to a Doctor and get some pills to kill the virus. It sucks so badly. The best thing to do it to shower within ten minutes after the workout OH and just so you know- if you get it once, then you’re more and more prone to getting it the second and third time to be careful!

thanks guys for the advice, all but 1 mark have nearly gone now so i could be back in fighting training really soon.

All that shower stuff is right.

Also, wear lotion before training. Your skin is your best barrier to this stuff. You gotta keep it protected. So, as lame as it sounds, you need to moisturize. (Waits for Xen to say that’s how the ladies like it, and that you should have been moisturizing anyway.)

Wear long sleeve rash guards, or at least a short-sleeved one. T-shirts provide zilch barrier.

[quote]jon andrew wrote:
thanks guys for the advice, all but 1 mark have nearly gone now so i could be back in fighting training really soon.[/quote]

Are you guys using bleach when you mop the mats?

im not sure what guys at the club use but i always see big hand pumps there ,i will question them about what they use .

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
All that shower stuff is right.

Also, wear lotion before training. Your skin is your best barrier to this stuff. You gotta keep it protected. So, as lame as it sounds, you need to moisturize. (Waits for Xen to say that’s how the ladies like it, and that you should have been moisturizing anyway.)
[/quote]

I take a quick shower and use Cetaphil moisturizing lotion before training…it dries up quick,isn’t greasy,and doesn’t smell. Works for my skin type.

[quote]jon andrew wrote:
im not sure what guys at the club use but i always see big hand pumps there ,i will question them about what they use .
[/quote]

Use bleach. Follow the equation enough = plenty.

yes, we participate in one of the more disgusting sports known to man…staph sucks, but the one I get more often than anything else is frickin ring worm…I hate ring worm

[quote]slimjim wrote:
yes, we participate in one of the more disgusting sports known to man…staph sucks, but the one I get more often than anything else is frickin ring worm…I hate ring worm[/quote]

iam yet to experience this ,it sounds delighfull lol,haha these sports truely are an affliction but even with all the crap that comes with them ,i couldnt live with out them =)