Just Got a Sales Job, Need Ideas!

[quote]helga wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Get a new job. Door to door sales is bullshit.

Zap, how about reading posts correctly. He did not say that he is selling door to door, he is managing people that do.[/quote]

His advice still applies. Not only should his employees get new jobs, he should also. I couldn’t have said it any better that Zap, “Door to door sales is bullshit”. Just as bad as telemarketing. People who choose to take sales careers in these fields are like cockroaches. You can get rid of them temporarily but they keep coming back.

Can we get on topic here for Christ sakes…who says you need to answer in agument form on the forum, that’s what PMs are for…stop playing internet bully and give this guy some fucking advice.

He might choose this job bub, and who are you to play holier than though and say that sales reps are scum. Without sales in a company your cheque doesn’t get paid, so step up and recognize them for what they are!

Sales management tools: well, I’d say the biggest thing you can do when you’re meeting/talking to someone for the first time, you need to distinguish yourself from every other punk out there doin the same thing. So you are going to have about 30 seconds to make that distintion before they start with the knee jerk reaction of humans: NO!

I sell a service which to me is 9 times harder than selling a product b/c of no tangible benefits to the consumer. So my advice would be to start by getting your sales guys to ask a question when opening the door.

For instance, if I was selling ADT security systems I would start by asking them if they knew how much their insurance payments would drop if they had a security system per month? If they say…well no I hadn’t thought of that, then you have a line to work your product. You would respond by asking, well did I catch you at a bad time or do you have a few mintues to allow me to show you where you can save money in your home? It’s not rocket science it’s business and buyer psycholog/consumer behavoir.

I’ll tell you what happens when people realize you’re a sales rep…they lump you in with those people who call at 6:00 as you’re sitting down to a steak or something else important. You need to not act/look/talk like a sleezy sales rep, act like a professional b/c that’s what you are! I could go on for days about shit to do…but my wrists hurt and quite frankly I have about 10 calls to make and a few meetings…so I should get down to it!

Good luck, I’ll pop in and see if anyone else actually answered your post instead of debating whether one job is honourable or whatever?! Honestly…this bickering for no reason is becoming a disease of this board…stay on topic people and don’t waste time!

Best,

T

[quote]TOTrev wrote:
He might choose this job bub, and who are you to play holier than though and say that sales reps are scum. Without sales in a company your cheque doesn’t get paid, so step up and recognize them for what they are!
[/quote]

I work in sales bub and I still say door-to-door and telemarketing sales people are for the most part cockroaches.

[quote]singram wrote:
I used to sell Kirby vacumms and ADT security systems door-to-door.The responces you got were from bean counters and people who hate sales people.Most people can’t do what I did,you can’t let failure let you down.In this business 98% of people will say no,you have to be agressive enough to get to those 2% who say yes and not fuck it up when you find them.If you can,you will make more money than 98% of the population.Not bragging,but in June and July of 98 I made $40,000 selling ADT security systems door-to-door in central and northern Alabama.So it can be done,its all in finding the people who aren’t scared of rejection,not people who look,act or sell a certain way.[/quote]

$40K in 2 months!?? Door-to-door? Wow.

Do you have any succesfull, experienced salespeople in your team? What distuingishes them from the others?

[quote]randman wrote:
TOTrev wrote:

I work in sales bub and I still say door-to-door and telemarketing sales people are for the most part cockroaches.
[/quote]

I think unsuitable candidates would be a better term. 90% of people don`t have the Entrepreneur profile, statistically. I say 95%.

I am not saying its not possible to build a good team. It just takes a lot of effort, incentives, and energy to filter out the good candidates. Theyre out there. But the natural salesperson is still a rare, although handsomely paid*, person.

• Hey, its earned. And, as is well known, until a sale is made, nothing happens. Theres no price for a good salesman.

[quote]randman wrote:
TOTrev wrote:

[/quote]

Exactly. Nothing wrong with sales but door to door is not the way to go in our society.

Why help someone down a wrong path? Encourage him to turn around!

Dude,ain’t nothing wrong with somebody wanting to make a living honestly.Door-to-door sales is a tough living,but the guy wanted advice on how to suceed,not being preached to about what he does for a living,and how much it sucks.Just because you’re an engineer,doesn’t mean you’re a better person than someone who goes door-to-door for a living.

Randman,

Then pony up and drop some tips. That’s the point of this thread as I and singram stated in the past posts.

Tips guys? Help is what he’s asked for, help is what we should give him.

I know with our sales team here, we work best as a team. In other words, have weekly/monthly meetings to discuss techniques on what’s working out there and what’s not. It’s also fun to tell horror stories about people who are downright rude and some of the things people say to you. It also justifys and motivates these people b/c they have an incredibly hard and socially tabu job. Think about waking up every morning facing bitchy customers who hate that you’re there. The only other job that might rank up there in bitchy customers is a credit call center! Yikes.

Anyways…use that tip if you’d like. I know if works well here, some old guys learn from some new guys tips and vice versa also building commarderie.

Happy selling!

T