T Nation

Just Go to Bed Honey...

You know, I always thought of myself as a good natured, well mannered, civilized human being. But, sometimes I long for the laws of the jungle. Justice was accurate, precise and most importantly; it was mercifully swift. If you were not keeping up with the pack or strong enough to fend for yourself, you suffered the consequences. And more to the point, if you stepped into a lions territory you had better be prepared for the retaliation because in the jungle there are no cops. There are no EMT’s standing by; if you fucked with the wrong bull, your last meal was a two pronged calcium fortified t-bone. I too am an animal; and tonight I have been denied my instinctual desire to whip some ass. Instead, I am typing this ridiculous excuse for preverbial exaltion of my need to fuck someone up.

It would be best if I started at the beginning. I grew up in the US. Been lifting and competing in sports all my life. I lift until I puke, then I lift some more. I sprint until I hurl, then I sprint somemore. I’ve kicked heavy bags till my shins were bruised; punched walls barefisted cause it felt good and relished the taste of my own blood in battle. But, those are my yesteryears.

Now I live in Sweden; the land of moderation. The spine has been replaced with social standards of conduct. Gone are the days of settling your differences right then and there. In fact, people here don’t settle their differences at all. They merely ignore them and hope they will just go away.

I’m here because I met a wonderful swedish woman and longed for the land that produced her. I longed for the Viking spirit, that unbridled and raw human desire to explore, discover, and conquer. The freedom to reach your heights without the self-imposed restraints of modern society. Instead, I have landed in a place that deplores individualism and exaults mediocrity.

Normally, none of that matters. I don’t need to rich and famous. I like to be anonymous and unknown. But, I DO NOT like to be bullied and can find no rational explanation for allowing its sustinance. It pulls at every fiber of my being when I experience even the slightest bit of said behaviour especially through others. I have always acted according to my conscience even at my own risk.

But, I live in Sweden now and apartments are like the beauty that caught my eye. RARE, RARE, RARE. Once a good one is found it is to be coddled with a delicate firmness that would make Faberge’ proud. We have one of those apartments, not too big; not too small; just right. The only thorn on this stem is the tenant below us. Every weekend is party time, with god-awful dance music containing a monotonous drone that scrapes my marrow. I normally ignore it like all the other Swedes but not tonight. My 4 month old was not happy and there is something about a crying baby that makes you see things in a different light, mainly RED. So, I politely knocked on the door and a lovely woman answered. I explained the problem and was assured that it would be taken care off. Great! No worries. WRONG…in fact I think it was even louder now. My wife sensed the tension and simply asked me to forget about the music and just come to bed. If I were content swimming in mediocrity I would have gone to bed. But, I’m not!!!

Damnit, I’m a man and I’ll be damned if some asshat is gonna keep me up at night. So, I marched right on downstairs again, this time the door was open. I made my presence known and was greeted with a FUCK YOU. This is where time stopped. This is where my ‘modern man and his guidelines’ part of my brain revealed itself. Instead of marching across the room and tossing that drunk faggot on his ear, I hesitated. Then like a raging river after rainy season I was flooded with the ‘what ifs’. And it was over. My dream that is.

My desire to be a pillar of strength, an example of manhood at its finest was no more. I had traded my most valuable commodity, my unbridled desire to remain true to my soul, for that nice apartment and the comforts of mediocrity. I did of course offer the tenant the chance to assault me so I could claim self-defense after I pummeled him but he declined the offer. I concluded the meeting with the finger and some stupid explicative directed more at myself for not finishing what I started.

You see, people like him will never actually do anything themselves. They are the minions of that evil void that longs to squash mankind and his fortitude. They inflict their harm by hiding behind the rules of society. Modern man is forced to fight his battles on civilized grounds, following unnatural laws. So, I am here writing in earnest to my brothers-in-arms in the hopes that I am alone in my defeat here in the land of mediocrity. I long for the day that I can once again return to the battlefield and loose the chains of the modern man. Until that time, my rage is focused on reaching a 300kg deadlift.

Tonight I have come face to face with that dark and menacing void of mediocrity and watched its fangs sink into my soul. I was amazed at how quickly it can take over your strength if you allow even the slightest amount of hesitation or doubt. I know my enemy now. And I must follow a new set of rules in order to defeat him.

I’m pretty sure that those rules allow a waking time of 8:00 on Sundays and its been a while since I practiced my dribbling skills. Ahhh…the sigh of relief. Just like any animal, if you kick them in the balls they’ll let go.

Time for some rest now cause its gonna be a long morning. Good night T-Nation, sleep tight and don’t let the…

Wow. Very good post. Keep us informed of the progress.

By the way, if you have a solution to put these assholes in their place, please forward it to us. There’s a squat rack and 45 lb plates currently going on about a-holes that don’t follow proper gym etiquette.

We need a solution. All of us. Unless we want civilization to get the best of us…

Following your train of thought, it would be proper to beat the living hell out of someone for, say, speaking on a cell phone in a foreign language.

“Excuse me, sir, but I find your language to be very offensive to me. Could you please speak English when you’re around me?”

“Ummmm, no. This is my first language, and it’s the language I feel comfortable speaking.”

“That’s it! You’ve fucked with the wrong beast! Jungle law now! RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR!” (I proceed to lunge forward and bite down on the man’s jugular vein)

Sorry, the world just doesn’t work that way. The thing to remember is that humans do not function in the same way as other species. We do not work soley on instinct. For this reason, if things were the way you want it, people would be dying left and right, for the tiniest reasons. It would be worldwide genocide! (I’m reminded of Rainbow 6. Great book, by the way.)

Also, I would like to know your reasoning behind your move to Sweden. You clearly don’t like it there. The way I see it, you’re allowing your whole life to suck just for one girl. Is it worth it?

I don’t see where he said he wanted to kill people for little reasons. A man blatantly disrespected him to his face, and was protected from retrubution by society. He doesn’t want to attack people speaking a different language on their cell phone, he simply wants to be able to hit someone who challenges him to.

To everyone who says things like this, I say go watch Man on Fire. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

You should have just walked on in and destroyed the stereo. It would have cost you a few hundred dollars, but it would have been well worth it.

I know your pain. I know how it feels not being allowed to be the man you really are. That’s why I left Sweden a bit over 10 years ago. Haven’t been back ever since. I now live in Thailand and here you’re allowed to be a MAN.

F&%K Sweden. I have plans going back visiting my friends this summer though but to move back… NEVER.

Regarding your neighbour, he probably have a nasty hangover in the morning so that is the time when YOU crank up the volume.

Don’t get mad, get even!

one word- Opera

Babies like it too.

This is probably completely opposed to the general sentiment, but if Sweden is so civilized won’t there be some laws / sanctions against noise pollution or disturbance or public nuisances or something?

[quote]Donzi wrote:
Now I live in Sweden; the land of moderation. The spine has been replaced with social standards of conduct. Gone are the days of settling your differences right then and there. In fact, people here don’t settle their differences at all. They merely ignore them and hope they will just go away.
[/quote]

Not that I want to defend Sweden – been there some times, found the people and the country so incredibly boring that the only thing to do is stare at the beautiful lakes and sleep – however I’m left wondering if the story would have played any different in most of the Urban US. Except for the nice Swedish lady answering the door, of course, who over here probably would be an obese b*tch.

Because if it would, somebody tell me; as we speak I’m suffering the same predicament – as I do every single Saturday AND Sunday from several of my neighbors (not just one, mind you). If I can go right now knock at their doors, tell them again to stop that outrageous loud noise that is preventing me from getting my deserved sleep after a very intense Saturday workout, but THIS time kick their *ss if they don’t turn it off, please tell me, 'cause I really wanna right now! :slight_smile:

That was a very well written post, regardless of the subject …

But on that topic, I rent a room in the city where I study.
And you know college and university people … especially freshmen kids.
In this house, you can hear everything loud and clear, so after being up for what must be 30 nights, some in a row, and politely going to ask if the music or tv could be turned down to a humane level, I hung up a paper in the kitchen, together with some other guidelines …
And yes, I’m an agressive person by nature, but I’ve learned to deal with it …
until the person who this was about all along had the tv blasting at 1.30 am.
I walked calmly downstairs, I kicked the door out of its lock with on my bear feet, and I asked politely if she could turn the tv down.
I, or any else in the house never had a problem since.
And the landlady had the door fixed, no questions asked.

[quote]doogie wrote:
You should have just walked on in and destroyed the stereo. It would have cost you a few hundred dollars, but it would have been well worth it.[/quote]

I thought about that, but we are in the process of getting the First rent contract and the landlord hadn’t approved us yet. Not that it should have mattered, but first hand contracts in a good hood are extemely rare.

[quote]911 Girl wrote:
one word- Opera

Babies like it too.[/quote]

Now that is brilliant!!!

Any suggestions??

[quote]thomasWaterless wrote:
This is probably completely opposed to the general sentiment, but if Sweden is so civilized won’t there be some laws / sanctions against noise pollution or disturbance or public nuisances or something?[/quote]

I called the cops, but they said they won’t come out for that. The landlord office is closed on weekends, I’ll call on monday but they are very PC. It may solve the problem but I doubt it. And if it happens again it can’t be addressed until the following monday.

[quote]hspder wrote:

Not that I want to defend Sweden – been there some times, found the people and the country so incredibly boring that the only thing to do is stare at the beautiful lakes and sleep – however I’m left wondering if the story would have played any different in most of the Urban US. Except for the nice Swedish lady answering the door, of course, who over here probably would be an obese b*tch.

Because if it would, somebody tell me; as we speak I’m suffering the same predicament – as I do every single Saturday AND Sunday from several of my neighbors (not just one, mind you). If I can go right now knock at their doors, tell them again to stop that outrageous loud noise that is preventing me from getting my deserved sleep after a very intense Saturday workout, but THIS time kick their *ss if they don’t turn it off, please tell me, 'cause I really wanna right now! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Well, in the US you can call the cops and they’ll usually respond, maybe a few hours later but at least its something. Also, apartments are much more rare here in populated cities in Sweden than most US cities. Like 5 years waiting list for a good first contract apartment, unless you have a connection; which I don’t.

There are laws here about behaviour in apartments but those would also apply to me busting in and smashing his stereo, to which he would have witnesses and evidence. Now its just he said she said with the noise and since no one else will stick their neck out I am all alone in the complaint.

I don’t know the answer, but in the past in the US intimidation has usually worked. I put on a wife beater, grab a big stick, and bang loudly; then ask politely to keep the noise down. At least in the US we know that its possible that someone might snap and unleash the beast if pushed too far. Here in Sweden, there is no fear of that happening. People here in the city are used to mouthing off to each other and nothing ever happening. And I just reinforced that belief by not unloading on the Johnny Big Mouth.

My plan is to find the agency/person who is responsible for maintaining order in my complex and bothering the hell out of him until he fixes the problem. And of course I pay a few nightly visits at the time of the offense with the hope that one day he’ll lay a finger on me and I’ll get the white lights to unload. Its sad I know but I feel like a caged animal with no grounds keepers that give a shit about my frustration. Of course, I’ll also continue the auditory assault the morning after, but now with OPERA.

[quote]Bulldawgcountry wrote:
I don’t see where he said he wanted to kill people for little reasons. A man blatantly disrespected him to his face, and was protected from retrubution by society. He doesn’t want to attack people speaking a different language on their cell phone, he simply wants to be able to hit someone who challenges him to.[/quote]

I couldn’t have said it any better.

[quote]Leeuwer wrote:
but I’ve learned to deal with it …
until the person who this was about all along had the tv blasting at 1.30 am.
I walked calmly downstairs, I kicked the door out of its lock with on my bear feet, and I asked politely if she could turn the tv down.
I, or any else in the house never had a problem since.
And the landlady had the door fixed, no questions asked. [/quote]

Congratulations for the results!

Could the ‘victim’ have charged you with Breaking & Entering. Or just Breaking (in), if the case you had chosen to stay outside?

Some of these a*holes could snap back. Others will see the light. Some could use the law against you, if they can afford it. Looks like a case-by-case, Know Your Enemy thing.

I will keep your solution, and the Opera one in mind. My neighbors below get very noisy and party all night when they get their welfare cheques. I have not called the cops yet because my ‘dear’ neighbors’ noise pattern is more of the random very loud peak, rather than suistained noise type. Hard to catch. Hard to prove. Now I have alternatives, besides the cops. Thank you. :0)

The unwritten morals that prevented you from smacking the hell out of him (kudos for not doing that. that would of been easy, but soooo satisfying) should of course, pertain to noisy downstairs.

However, as he has seen fit to abdicate from those social constraints, it only seems fail that you should, of course, abdicate also.

This would therefore be a level playing field, so when he opens the door, grab him by the neck, spin him on to the floor and slap him repeatedly in the face. not punch, slap.

As mentioned prior, the likelyhood is that he is “all mouth no trousers” and whilst this is dodgy legally, as long as there are no witnesses you will be fine.

I had this with a bar that i lived near, and just stopping short of fire bombing the venue, the council were helpful. the police may not help, but the local authorities were my only potion.

The owner was a woman, who had a particularly unique view on social etiqette and was possibly the most unreasonable person i have ever met. This way hurt her the most, as it cost her money, put her license under threat and kept her on her toes for the next 4 months noise wise.

[quote]Tadpole wrote:

Also, I would like to know your reasoning behind your move to Sweden. You clearly don’t like it there. The way I see it, you’re allowing your whole life to suck just for one girl. Is it worth it?[/quote]

Tadpole, good call. Nice.

TB