T Nation

Just Getting Started, Supps & Workout?

I'm new to the site but enjoy it alot. My question is: I am a 35 year old male and have been athletic all my life but never really worked out all that much. Mainly I would work out for a few weeks see no progress and stop for awhile then pick it up and the cycle would continue. I got divorced a couple of years ago and just let my body go to waste and my weight training became non existant.

What I would like to know is: what type of supplements would benefit me for my age and what type of workout is suggested for someone over 35. I can't take steriods because I work for the Goverment but I do want to become as big as I can but only naturally. I know that this thread might be more better suited for the over 35 thread but any help will be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi.

LOL, first post on website and talking about steroid use already!!! That’s fantastic.

How about if you’re serious go to the beginner’s forum, some good advice there.

Well workout is easy. A 5X5 routine is best as you are just starting out and needing to get stronger before you can really gain any size. Over 35 (me too) and it works great. Just get lost of sleep and eat well.

Two different workouts

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Inverted Rows 3xF
Push-ups 3xF
Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF
Prone Bridges 3x30sec

Alternate workout A & B each session. Mo/We/Fr or Tu/Th/Su or Sa/Tu/Th. Or just every second day and alternated workouts. Always take at least 48 hours rest between 2 workouts. Alternate Pull-ups & Chin-ups each workout B.

Do 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight on all exercises. Deadlifts is only 1 set of 5 reps. Do 3 sets until failure on body-weight exercises: 3 sets of as many reps as you can do with good technique.

They recommend to Start with an empty bar on Squats, Bench Press & Overhead Press. Olympic bars weigh 45lbs/20kg and are 7feet/2m20 long. The empty bar will be too light for Deadlifts: start with 88lbs/40kg for that exercise and build from there. Always include the bar weight.

Why start with an empty bar?

â?¢Increased Motivation. Most people don’t miss 1 workout the first 3 months StrongLifts 5x5. Weights feel easy in the first weeks and you’re adding weight each workout. Adding weight gets addictive: you’ll look forward to going to the gym and increasing the weight each workout. You’ll also see your body change as the weight on the bar increases.

â?¢Decreased Soreness. Too much soreness from the 1st week would prevent you physically & mentally from going back to the gym 2 days later. You’ll get sore legs your 1st time doing Squats with the empty bar, but less than if you started heavier.

â?¢Better Technique. It’s easier to practice technique with light weights. Correct technique prevents injuries and allows for more weight in the long term since your body moves more efficiently. Starting light forces you to focus on technique rather than lifting heavy without learning how to lift correctly.

Do I have to start with an empty bar? I think I can handle more.
The point of starting with an empty bar is to learn correct technique. You’re adding 5lbs/2.5kg each workout, that’s 66lbs/30kg per month on Squats. Meaning you’ll hit a 100kg Squat for 5x5 within 3 months if you don’t miss any workouts and don’t stall. No need to start heavier, the weight increases fast already. There’s only 1 reason to start with more weight: greed. Forget about the ego. Strength training is a marathon not a sprint.

Another option is to start with 30% of your 5 rep max. Just don’t strat with high weight and get yourself wiped out the first workout. remember you will be adding 5 pounds to the weight each workout (so about 10~15 pounds a week. That adds up quick! In two weeks squatting 5X5 with 60 pounds more then you started with is a lot! It can become really exhusting quickly and make you miss workouts or not put your ALL into it when you go if you started to high in the weight! s

Supplements are also easy:
Multi-vitamin
Fishoil
Whey protein (immediately after workout)

That’s all you really need.

Steroids! when you have a good 5~10 years of consistant ecercise under your belt and are squating 1.5 to 2.5 X your body weight consistantly with and haven’t been growing and still want to then and only then should they be an option. As Matt Kroczaleski at EliteFTS once said, people do not reach they genetic potential until atleast 10 years of constant and quality train, until that point all it takes is eating, sleeping and hardwork to improve!

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Thanks TC. I have been thinking about doing a 5x5 program. I’ll have to check out the vast many 5x5 programs that are out there and grow from there.

x2 on the 5x5 program, it’s always been a winner in my book…

As far as supplements go I’d suggest fish oil and protein powder for now, nothing too much until you get further into it. You may also want to give creatine a look.

The best thing you can do though is eat right and sleep right. By eat right I mean you want 6+ meals a day, going no more than two hours between meals consisting of lean protein, complex carbohydrates (in the AM and pre-workout mostly), and healthy fats. By sleeping right, I mean a minimum of eight hours a night of uninterrupted sleep (Technically, 9.5 is ideal but I realize this may be difficult). Make your room a dark, quiet haven where you will not be disturbed until those hours are up. At your age, you really need to harness the power of sleep, as proper sleep helps the recovery process by giving your body time to rest, giving your CNS time to rest, and releasing various hormones that help recovery and hypertrophy. Good luck!

[quote]duffer74 wrote:
I’m new to the site but enjoy it alot. My question is: I am a 35 year old male and have been athletic all my life but never really worked out all that much. Mainly I would work out for a few weeks see no progress and stop for awhile then pick it up and the cycle would continue. I got divorced a couple of years ago and just let my body go to waste and my weight training became non existant.

What I would like to know is: what type of supplements would benefit me for my age and what type of workout is suggested for someone over 35. [/quote]

it’s common for athletes to find lifting and eating right a bit too bland to stick with. have you considered competing in something to give you that spark? you’re not too old to have some fun with mma. although, having let yourself go was a big mistake and so you’ll have to go slow with waking up your muscles and joints again.

CS and thruxton45, thanks for the help. I’m really going to look in to the 5x5 and I was taking Krav classes but then I moved to the mountains of Colorado and the nearest place is 30 miles from my house but that really isn’t an excuse for not getting in shape. But again I thank you.