T Nation

Just Getting Back, Need Some Help

I just recently joined the army and before I left for training I was starting to get really big into lifting and I was making some noticeable gains and was pleased with the progress I was making. When I got to basic we didn’t have access to weights or the time, same goes with my job training. I’ve gotten so out of shape since I’ve joined the army, I’ve put on a gut and can no longer lift anything close to what I use to. I want to change that.

I’ve gone to the gym a few times when I’m home and I can’t do anything close to what I use to, I get burnt out so fast. When I first started lifting I did rippetoes and saw good results and built my way up to more complex programs. So should I start there again or keep doing what I was doing before I left and just build my way back to where I was? Am I considered a beginner again? I had a year and half or so of lifting everyday and now I haven’t been able to lift like that for almost 8 months. So I’ve lost a lot.

Another thing. I was injured during my training and can’t run very hard. I can jog but I can’t run hard enough to where I feel like I’m getting something out of it. So should I stay with what I’m doing or try and pick up another form of cardio thats more demanding?

[quote]karl.allen2 wrote:
I just recently joined the army and before I left for training I was starting to get really big into lifting and I was making some noticeable gains and was pleased with the progress I was making. When I got to basic we didn’t have access to weights or the time, same goes with my job training. I’ve gotten so out of shape since I’ve joined the army, I’ve put on a gut and can no longer lift anything close to what I use to. I want to change that.

I’ve gone to the gym a few times when I’m home and I can’t do anything close to what I use to, I get burnt out so fast. When I first started lifting I did rippetoes and saw good results and built my way up to more complex programs. So should I start there again or keep doing what I was doing before I left and just build my way back to where I was? Am I considered a beginner again? I had a year and half or so of lifting everyday and now I haven’t been able to lift like that for almost 8 months. So I’ve lost a lot.[/quote]

You shouldn’t be thinking of you being a beginner. You should be thinking about getting back to where you were. When you first started lifting, it was hard to get to where you were at your “prime” before you went to the Army. You know it’s going to be difficult again, but since you had done it already, the gains should come back quicker than they came in the first place. If Ripptoes program worked, do it again, and reap the benefits of it. Then maybe switch to something else later on.

[quote]
Another thing. I was injured during my training and can’t run very hard. I can jog but I can’t run hard enough to where I feel like I’m getting something out of it. So should I stay with what I’m doing or try and pick up another form of cardio thats more demanding?[/quote]

I wish I had more help for you, but cardio is definately something I’m not good enough at to give advice. The more experienced members will chime in hopefully.

Thanks. I still know what I did before, but my body is almost to where it was when I first started, all the running they had us doing in basic made me cut weight fast and now I’m just trying to build back up to where I was. Should I take it somewhat kind of easy for a few weeks to build up a little bit of a base again or just go straight back into it pushing myself as hard as I possibly can?

Unless you are weary of a very possible injury, I think you need to go as hard as you can, every session, every week. You get better results. You know you’ll be sore, but that’ll go away after your body somewhat adapts to the “abuse.”

I’m already injured, so it can only get worse. But I want to try and strengthen my knee bc I had no problems with it until I wasn’t able to life anymore. So I guess push myself as hard as I can on everything but legs. I got to see what the knee does and how it acts. I appreciate the help.