Just Finished

My second MMA fight. First round TKO.

It felt 1000x better than the first one: was able to control nerves and basically went out and beat the crap out of my opponent.

Hope that’s not too obnoxious, but last fight was a tough three round decision.

I’ll post video when I get it.

Just curious, anyone get “MAVTV”? Fight is supposed to air in a couple of weeks…

Congrats dude. Pretty crazy how much better you can perform when you have your head in check. Good luck for the next fight.

what is your weigh-class and height? congratulations!

I’m eager for my 3rd mma fight, i hope this year.

Great Job. A KO win is always nice.

That’s wonderful, congratulations!

Awesome man, always nice to be on the dealing end of a beating.

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
what is your weigh-class and height? congratulations!

I’m eager for my 3rd mma fight, i hope this year.[/quote]

I’m 5’11" and fight at 170.

walk around which weight?

i fight at 170lbs too, walk around 194lbs

i fight at 170lbs too, walk around 194lbs[/quote]

I train pretty consistently at this point, so it’s been awhile since I’ve been way out of fight shape.

I usually walk around 186/188 or so, but have cut from as high as 192 for kick-boxing.

This last fight I ended up only cutting about 5 pounds of water on the day of the fight, and was back up to about 185 for the fight.

It was lighter than I needed to be I think, but I did my cut a little differently this time so I wanted to keep it smaller. I’ll probably work back to a weight where I’m stepping in closer to 190 again.

Spartiates,

I thought I had posted a congratulations previously. I meant to.

Congratulations on reaping the rewards of all your hard work. It is great to read.

If you would permit a slight de-rail:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

I train pretty consistently at this point, so it’s been awhile since I’ve been way out of fight shape.

I usually walk around 186/188 or so, but have cut from as high as 192 for kick-boxing.

This last fight I ended up only cutting about 5 pounds of water on the day of the fight, and was back up to about 185 for the fight.

It was lighter than I needed to be I think, but I did my cut a little differently this time so I wanted to keep it smaller. I’ll probably work back to a weight where I’m stepping in closer to 190 again.[/quote]

Do you have any opinions about coming in heavier vs lighter for kickboxing vs MMA? Are the costs vs benefit payoffs any different in your experience?

It seems to come up here often enough and this post put it in my mind.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Spartiates,

I thought I had posted a congratulations previously. I meant to.

Congratulations on reaping the rewards of all your hard work. It is great to read.

If you would permit a slight de-rail:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

It was lighter than I needed to be I think, but I did my cut a little differently this time so I wanted to keep it smaller. I’ll probably work back to a weight where I’m stepping in closer to 190 again.[/quote]

Do you have any opinions about coming in heavier vs lighter for kickboxing vs MMA? Are the costs vs benefit payoffs any different in your experience?

It seems to come up here often enough and this post put it in my mind.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

I feel like conditioning is more important for MMA (at least at my level) than in kick-boxing.

I feel like being bigger matters more too.

I would feel more comfortable having a kick-boxing or MT match without a big weight cut (giving up pounds to my opponent) than I would for MMA.

…HOWEVER, when those two factors conflict, I chose conditioning.

The reality for me is that there’s no decent kick-boxing around here. Pretty much “Friday night fight” type smokers, so probably won’t be putting in a lot of prep for a match, and would not do a big weight cut. On the other hand, there’s an MMA scene around here, and money to potentially be made.

So I’m going to be more likely to come in lighter to “preserve” conditioning for an MMA fight.

For kick-boxing I’m either going to take a fight basically at my walking weight and not “make a big deal” out of it, or I’ll do what I used to, and do a larger cut.

But again, around here, my kick-boxing match is probably going to be shorter rounds, more breaks, smaller ring.