BENCH
220 x 4 x 5 sets

INCLINE
170 x 5 x 4 sets

SEATED OHP
120 x 6, 6, 5

SQUAT
250 x 2 x 5 sets

I’m still sore from my workouts on Monday and Wednesday. I’m going to cut back on the assistance lifts until I can tolerate the new demands.

5 Likes

DEADLIFT
405 x 5 x 5

DEFICIT DEADLIFT
315 x 5
345 x 5, 5

GHD
BW x 8 x 3

Those deadlifts sucked. I was hoping 405 would feel lighter this week because I didn’t play basketball this weekend. Nope.

4 Likes

I ran 915 way back, early on in my training career. I got completely floored by week 3 of that program, it’s a tough one.

1 Like

I’m sitting here wondering how I’m going to successfully complete the workouts. What makes me feel worse is that I’m not even doing 80% of my recent maxes.

It’s feeling a bit like The Complete Power Look. CT likes working up to 5 sets of 6. I decided to back off to 3 sets for the assistance workouts. I’ll see if that helps by the end of the week. Squat day is Wednesday.

1 Like

LOW BAR SQUAT
275 x 5 x 5

PAUSED SQUAT
185 x 5 x 4 sets

SL RDL
30 x 10 ea x 2

BENCH
225 x 2 x 5 sets

Still feeling wrecked.

2 Likes

Your minimum-volume, maximum-effectiveness approach was working very well. If 915 keeps grinding you down, you might want to bail from it.

1 Like

I’m halfway there! I’ve been doing well with deadlift but I still have these stupid ideas and aspirations to hit 3 and 4 plates on bench and squat.

I’m not sure what’s next but I’ll finish this week. I only have the clean day and bench day left.

I also saw a post on IG that told athletes to drop the leg volume. I like that, but I don’t exactly practice for a my sport. :thinking:

Lastly, I probably need to go back to honoring my view that training should add to my life, not detract from it. My lower back isn’t injured, but it’s so wrecked that I can’t make a move without pain. My deadlift workouts have been so effective that my traps, lats, and rear delts are sore without doing anything to target them. The muscles on my sacrum are sore. I don’t know what they do, but they seem like their function should be isometric.

Thank you for your input! (I’m struggling to move on because I’m prone to program hopping.)

2 Likes

My mistake! I read logs in waves lately, so my sense of workout timelines is off. Three and four plates is impressive for bench and squat, especially with your tree branch limbs! Haha

But you do play basketball frequently, and with your history and relative skill level, I doubt you plod up and down the court, putting nearly no effort into it. Interestingly, DeFranco’s Washed-Up Meathead routine, which is written for 40+ year olds, assumes two or three leg-based cardio sessions each week so only has one weekly lower body lifting day.

Do you think the 915 program has shifted your perspective a bit?

Uf, that’s miserable. Have you looked into specific stretches and PVC-pipe rolls to release and relax the soft tissues? @FlatsFarmer is the best resource on this site for that type of info.

Your strength and posterior chain development are honestly impressive. I can’t help but think that high-volume, heavy deadlifts stimulate back muscles much better than several machine and cable exercises.

My pleasure! Similarly, thanks for posting in my log a month or so ago. I plan to reply more fully there soon. It’s nice you’re back to posting!

1 Like

These goals still feel like pipe dreams.

Not really. I’m playing in a league but that’s once a week unless I do some sort of basketball workout on my own.

I’ve been pushing my deadlift workouts so my back pain/stiffness has been a regular occurrence. I think it might be worse since I started 915. Part of me is concerned about joint health and part of me still wants to lift heavy. They’re conflicting goals.

Thanks for the refe reference. I’ll look it over for inspiration.

I’m posting but I’m not doing a good job of browsing and reading. I’m struggling to focus on the forum. I guess that’s not all bad because it means I have other constructive things to do.

1 Like

The 5x6 week was the one that folded me, haha. Good luck man!

1 Like

Might be skipping weeks 3 and 4. I’m having my students follow the same progression for their main lifts, but there’s not enough time to get through all eight weeks before Christmas break. I think we’re going to jump to week five where it’s 3x3 with 90% next week.

1. I don’t want to do week three.
  2. I’m curious how this will affect the program.

If it turns into a 5% improvement in five or six weeks, then it’s still a win.

1 Like

POWER CLEAN
205 x 3 x 5 sets

HANG CLEAN PULL
275 x 3 x 3

That’s all, folks. Tomorrow is bench day with a side of “explosive” squats.

4 Likes

Skipped bench day and program hopped to Washed Up Meathead. I underestimated 915 and it’s too much for me right now. I’ll post my workout later-ish.

2 Likes

Shhh don’t tell @TrainForPain you might get banned :joy:

2 Likes

As long as you still get your curls in

2 Likes

1. BENCH
200 x 8
215 x 6
230 x 4

2. DB BENCH
50 x 20, 14

3a. WIDE CABLE ROW
140 x 15, 15, 15
3b. CABLE PRESS DOWN
45 x 15, 35 x 15, 15

4a. DB SHRUG (SEC HOLD)
50 x 15, 15
4b. DB LAT RAISE
20 x 15, 15

5. FINISHER
10 reps of each, rest 90 sec, repeat.

• DEADLIFT
  • ROW
  • HANG CLEAN
  • PUSH PRESS
  • SQUAT
    Used 75 lbs and it took 1:30, then 1:25. 75 lbs seemed too light until I hit push press in round two.
2 Likes

SQUAT
265 x 8
285 x 6
305 x 4

HANG POWER CLEAN
205 x 3 x 4 sets

BACK EXT
25 lbs x 15 x 2

LYING LEG RAISE
2 x 15

CONDITIONING
Run 1 mile. Took 9:33 and it wasn’t a great effort. I was running inside and the power lifting team came up to the track and made it tough to run without interruption.

2 Likes

First and foremost, I’m not browsing the forums and I suck. I’m posting here but it’s all I can do. Sorry y’all.

PULL UPS
3 x 8

WIDE LAT PULL-DOWN
90 x 25 x 2 sets
DB OHP
25 x 25 x 2 sets

JM PRESS
95 x 8 x 4 sets
DB HAMMER CURL
45 x 8 x 4 sets

TOE TOUCH ABS
20 x 2 sets
SIDE PLANK
30 sec x 2 sets

FINISHER

• Push-Ups x 100 for time
    Nope
    Did push-ups on the bench (at an Incline; supposed to be easier)
  • 20, 10, 10, 10
    Didn’t feel that there was any benefit to going to 100.
1 Like

BENCH
200 x 8
215 x 6
230 x 4

DB BENCH
50 x 23, 14

CHEST SUPPORTED ROW
70 x 15
80 x 15, 10
CABLE PRESS DOWN
70 x 15bx 3 sets

SMITH SHRUG
175 x 15 x 2 sets
LAT DB RAISE
20 x 15 x 2 sets

DEADLIFT
400 x 8
425 x 4 (should’ve been 6)
450 x 1 (supposed to be 4)

If you want to lift heavy, you must lift heavy. I had about two weeks between deadlift sessions and the last couple were 80%. Everything felt heavy.

RUNNING
1 mile in 10:00 min
I ran a couple 0.25 mile intervals with a walking rest and then slogged it to a mile overall.

3 Likes