Just. Don't. Suck. Vol. 2

Everyone on here wants you to do well in your new career. I’ll add the following.
As a part time public defender in my early years practicing law I noticed, repeatedly, the “kids” charged with mainly nonviolent, occasionally violent, crimes could barely read. I’ll always remember one aggravated rape defendant who was in that category; I think he would have not gotten into that much trouble if a teacher had just taken enough time to teach him to read. I also think if he’d been more polite… I’m not a bleeding heart, just an observation.

1 Like

Based on what I know from my daughter’s school experience (just finished 2nd grade), learning to read is more dependent upon parents than teachers. We had sheets of words that we had to work with her on so she could memorize them. From that stage her development grew into reading. Teachers can’t do everything.

My school experience had a bit of homework associated with it. If parents aren’t telling their kids to do the homework and/or helping when necessary then the kids won’t succeed. Why is it that most kids can read and write just fine, but some are darn near illiterate? They attend the same schools with the same teachers. What’s the difference? The difference is their home life.

My law enforcement experience has taught me that if you ignore a child from day one then they will be very primal. They’ll be selfish and violent. They’ll also appear to have a mental disability, but the reality is that they are just so dumb from lack of education that they appear to be special needs. There are some kids that are already years behind developmentally by the time they reach kindergarten. That’s their parents’ fault.

1 Like

I agree with your post, except I’d substitute the word “feral” for “primal”.

1 Like

:laughing: I almost used another word but decided to clean it up a bit.

C8 W2 D2 - Chest

INCLINE
115 x 5
135 x 5
140 x 3
160 x 3
180 x 8
INCLINE BBB
140 x 10 x 5 sets
with
LEG EXTENSION
100 x 10 w/ squeeze at top.
Weight on incline was perfect. Leg extensions were done with the hopes of flushing blood to my knees and patellar tendons. I’m tired of them being cranky. And I’m playing basketball tonight so I’m sure that will continue.

CABLE FLY (myo)
60 x 15+5+5+4+4+3

CABLE CURL
130 x 10+10 half
130 x 4+8 half + 110 x 4+4 half

CABLE LAT RAISE (bonus work)
30 x 15 x 2 sets
Basically went to failure and looked like a penguin at the end of each set. Not sure if I needed to do these but my shoulders need to suck it up and grow.

Time: 30 minutes

6 Likes

Played more basketball tonight. I think I’m finally able to run back and forth enough to get out of breath. I feel pretty pathetic when my legs burn so bad that I can’t/don’t go hard enough to get winded.

First game of league is Sunday. Hopefully I shoot better than I did tonight.

3 Likes

6.17.21 C8 W2 D3 - Legs, sorta

HALF SQUAT
120 x 5
170 x 5
210 x 3
230 x 2
250 x 2
270 x 2
290 x 2
310 x 2
210 x 5 full squat

DEADLIFT
185 x 3
235 x 3
275 x 2
325 x 1
345 x 1 x 3

HANG POWER CLEAN
185 x 2
205 x 2
225 x 1
235 x 1, 1

1 Like

Happy Father’s Day

I haven’t trained since that short session Thursday and I even forgot to do some BBB sets on that one. Suddenly, I don’t care about training again. It could be a short term thing, though. My wedding anniversary is Monday, but we celebrated Friday. My wife and I were both off work. The kids went to daycare during the day and then went to my parents’ house to spend the night. My wife and I didn’t do anything fancy; we just hung out. We went to lunch and dinner Friday with shoe shopping in between (for me).

Saturday consisted of more low key stuff sans kids. Today is Father’s Day so I get to do whatever I want. I started the day with yard work before it got hot (been 100 for several days now). I had my first game for my basketball league (we lost). And now I’m recovering by numbing my body with a Stone variety pack of beer.

I’ll to to get back to the iron tomorrow with a new full body approach (I’m changing my training - big surprise).

3 Likes

Feel you here, been my struggle of late.

To add to the above kids discussion, it’s astounding how much damage can be done to a child from even before they’re born, (for further reading Google adverse childhood experiences, or aces, in the womb). We’ve seen it first hand already with our very short experience of foster caring, it’s heartbreaking.

3 Likes

My mom was going to get licensed to do foster care a couple years back, and we talked about ACE’s when she was going through classes. Pretty crazy how deeply you can be impacted in so many ways. One of my uncles is a social worker and said he and his wife had talked about adopting, but after doing his job for a while, he decided it would be too much for them to take on a kid from situations like that. He said if the first three years of a kid’s life aren’t safe, stable, calm, etc. then there’s no knowing what types of potentially permanent issues that kid’s gonna have going on. Sad stuff.

EDIT:

How’s this been going for you? Always curious to hear people’s experiences.

2 Likes

6.21.21 Full Body Week 1 Day 1

Also, today is my 13th wedding anniversary.

DEADLIFT
185 x 5
235 x 3
275 x 2
325 x 1
345 x 1
365 x 1 x 5
with
BENCH
135 x 5
160 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 9+3+3

HANG POWER CLEAN
185 x 2
210 x 2
225 x 2
235 x 1 x 5
with
STANDING DB OHP
45 x 10 x 5 sets

SMITH REV LUNGE
95 x 8 x 2 sets
with
CABLE ROW
170 x 15
190 x 11+3+3

CABLE CURL
200 x 15 x 2
with
OH CABLE EXT
90 x 23
110 x 7+ 90 x 5 + 70 x 5

Time: just under an hour. Pretty solid workout. It takes some time to grind it out but there’s no slacking off in this session.

4 Likes

Good on you my man.

3 Likes

^ same here. A good marriage does take some work but it’s is far more important than any workout.

3 Likes

Congrats, hope you’re spoiling her for the occasion!

1 Like

We celebrated Friday. I delivered Tulips to the bedroom b/c she slept in while I took the kids to daycare. We’re so lame that we just hung out all day Friday and Saturday. We did mundane stuff like shopping for running shoes and clothes for me (won’t be wearing a uniform much longer so I need to update my wardrobe). It felt similar to when we were younger and in the early years of our relationship. We don’t need to do exciting things; we just like being together. We kind of lost that for awhile so it was nice to experience it again.

8 Likes

Hey J, hard to describe, but I’ll try, overwhelmingly positive, my kids are so welcoming and loving (they’re 11 and 8) we’ve had a baby for a few months now (second placement) and they’ve just pour out love and care, my wife also, I truly believe that she was made to do this (me to but she’s got the primary care role).

The hard times will come soon when we get to moving the placement on (to either adoption or alternative) then it will be a period of grieving and readjustment. There are some hard bits in-between, court processes, evidencing and witnessing certain things but it’s all part and parcel of it. But it’s a privilege to be able to do and been a wonderful to see trauma being undone, attachments being properly formed, a child realising that there are people who care for them and can meet their needs, even at this age of child it’s incredibly evident (unfortunately).

3 Likes

Amazing, infinitely better than spoiling, just hanging out and being in love and being an awesome couple! (Although props for the flowers and the lie in - how many more weeks till due date?)

1 Like

We’re at the halfway point so 20ish weeks to go.

3 Likes

6.23.21 Full Body W1 D2

OHP
bar x 10
100 x 5
115 x 5
130 x 6+1+0
with
PULL UPS
BW x 10, 10, 10, 8
with
LEG PRESS
316 x 15
496 x 5F/20T/5F/20T/5F x 2
I goofed up by doing these before hang cleans. My legs were jello after the second set and there was no way the catch phase was going to go well.

LOW INCLINE DB BENCH
60 x 10, 10, 10, 8, 8

CABLE LAT RAISE
30 x 15 - lots of partial, very few full reps
20 x 15 x 2 - a mix of full and partial reps

REV CABLE CURL
90 x 20
100 x 10+4+3

LYING LEG RAISE
15, 15

It’s hot today. My patrol car’s A/C was off and on. I sweat more in the car today than I did in the gym. Due to being hot and doing this near 3pm, my motivation was zero. But if I want to train Friday and Sunday and get back on track then I had to do it today. On the flip side, I’m not sure if I want to train on Sundays because I have basketball games. We’re off the next two weeks and then we have two games the weekend after 4th of July. I won’t be lifting on that day.

2 Likes

I’m currently enrolled in one class for graduate school that has lots of reading (80-100 text book pages) each week plus a written assignment and online discussion with the class. I’ve continued posting my workouts, but I haven’t looked at anyone else’s logs or any other threads. I have a little time this morning so I was just about to catch up, and I just can’t. I don’t know if I’m tired, distracted, or selfish, but I just can’t focus on much of this stuff right now.

Don’t be surprised if I disappear for awhile. I’ll have a second class starting soon and then two more in the fall (one is Educational Research so I’m sure that’ll be a doozy). Any free time I have right now needs to be spent reading my text books or my Bible (I’m eight days behind my yearly reading plan!).

I have a Facebook account and some of you have found that. I also have an Instagram page and the same applies. Feel free to drop me a line on there if I’m not on here.

13 Likes

I’m really glad to see you’re moving towards a path that makes you feel more fulfilled. The last year and a half definitely seems to have a taken a toll on you.

Do what you gotta do, brother. The T-Nation famjam ain’t going anywhere.