Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Disclaimer: this is more of a journal type entry… it might get a little long-winded.

I’ve been lifting seriously since I was about 17. I started taking the high school weights class as soon as they’d let us which was sophomore year. The weightlifting “coach” was an assistant football coach who looked like a failed bodybuilder or power lifter. To us he was huge. He would write the workouts on the board for each day and we’d do whatever we wanted regardless. I enjoyed hang clean more than anything… probably because I wasn’t too bad at it. Sophomore I weighed 185 and was 6’2" to 6’4"… don’t remember. I benched my weight early in the year and began to progress steadily. Never squatted though. After my junior year I decided I was going to pack on some muscle for a change. I weight 200-204 at the end of the school year. I was on creatine and starting taking a protein powder by the name of Heavy Weight Gainer 900. It had over 900 calories per serving. My older brother was into bodybuilding so I consulted with him and decided that I’d skip the high school football workouts and lift with him and his roommate at a commercial gym instead. I told the coaches and all they could say was “Well as long as you’re lifting somewhere…” but I could see the doubt and frustration in their eyes.

So that summer my brother and I made our plan. 6 days a week of a bodybuilding split: chest/tri’s, back/shoulders/bi’s, legs, repeat. We did high volume. We also devised a plan to get me some Winstrol and start a 6 week cycle July 1. I trained and ate garbage but ate a lot. I worked landscaping all day and played baseball most nights of the week and all weekend. May and June passed and I gained a few pounds. 208…210. July rolled around and my brother and I never revisited the steroid option. I was gaining weight and progressing so I didn’t push it, but I was wanting to progress faster. I kept working, kept training hard, and kept making progress into July. By this time I was lifting on my own or with a teammate. We went to Steamboat Springs for a week long tournament and access to the gym was way too expensive so I decided to take a week off. I quit taking my creatine and protein shakes and even caved to my lust for beer. I let a couple friends talk me into drinking…and drinking heavily a couple nights while we were gone. I was finally 212 when we arrived. By the time I returned home from the tournament I was back to 208…which sucked.

I picked up where I left off and resumed creatine and lifting like I hadn’t missed a day. After a week I weighed over 212… and then 218… and finally before school started in August, 220. The goal at the start of the summer was 20lbs… and I finally made it.

I returned to school for football and was clearly the only one who made any significant improvements. In the spring I was slated to be a defensive back. By the end of week 1 I was a defensive end and tight end…and kept getting bigger. 222 at the start of the season. I was 6’5" now and basically a monster for an 18 year old. The season came and went and we went 0-9…awful. No one discussed football with me so I signed with Wichita State to play baseball during the early signing period (in the fall). I dislocated my right knee in week 7 of the season and ended up being on the DL into basketball season. I missed the first basketball game. I continued to do my bodybuilding split. I had weightlifting one day and I was a teacher’s aid on the other day and I’d sneak off to the weight room and get my workout done before my next class. I was obsessed. My weight actually climbed to 236 in the early stages of the basketball season…and I was only doing leg press with my left leg due to my knee injury. It was a glorious time and needless to say I’ve been hooked ever since.

I went to Wichita State in the fall of 2003 and continued to grow…all the way to 245 by mid-semester (up 15-20 lbs since school started). I was there to pitch so coaches kind of freaked out but I maintained 240lbs or more until September of 2006 with the exception of a shoulder surgery in 2004. I dropped to 215ish but gained it all back as soon as I was released. In 2006 I tried The Abs Diet (book by Men’s Health). I lost 15 lbs and 2% body fat the first month. I had a 6 pack…and again I became fixated with my physique. But this time it wasn’t all about sheer size; I wanted definition.

The reason I write all of this is because I had a vain/conceited moment today. I had to wait until after work to get in my workout. I took some pre-workout with caffeine and a volumizing pre-workout along with some BCAA’s. I felt freaking jacked during my workout. I was amped up and getting a great pump. I haven’t experienced that feeling since the early days of BSN’s NO Xplode. I was also lifting shirtless for the first time ever. The reason I say I had a vain/conceited moment is because I always feel like people are shoving their physique photos down your throat on social media. Posing this way and that and posting half naked pics daily/weekly. People look great and I appreciate their accomplishments but part of me always feels like it’s a cry for attention… maybe, maybe not.

Today I had one of those moments and I decided to go with it. I’ve been busting my ass since I was in my teens. I’ve built a pretty damn good physique. I’m no competitor but I feel like I look pretty good every day of the week. There’s no prep or cutting for me. This is daily living. I fluctuate 5-10 lbs throughout the year but that’s it. Why should I feel guilty for showing off occasionally? Why shouldn’t I be proud and show people what I’ve done? Well, I think maybe it’s perfectly OK to show off occasionally. It’s OK to say, “check this shit out.”

I’ve always beat myself up because I can’t obtain the physique that I see in the media. The shirtless workouts being photographed and published like they’re average Joe’s. Just work hard enough and you can do it. I hear the same thing from the strength crowd. If you’re dedicated enough then you can do it. Here I am unable to do it and unable to look the way they do after years of hard work. So how do I feel? Shitty. Should I? Absolutely not.

I realized today during my shirtless workout that I’m there. I’ve achieved my goal. I’ve just never been able to see it. So for those of you still with me, here’s my conceited moment. Here’s some shirtless workout action for ya (in my next post).

Sorry if I come off a bit vein… but not really.

5 Likes

4.20.17 (pull)

Power Clean (dropped the weights to work on my catch)
185x3
185x3
185x3
205x2
225x2
245x2 (and this is my limit for the form I’m going for)
5x2 @ 235lbs

Snatch Grip Deadlift (this was a new one for me)
235x5
255x4
275x3
295x2
315x1
EMOM for 10 minutes
335x1

Pull-Ups
2x10, 10-3-3 (double rest/pause)

Reverse Grip Bent-Over Row
6x5 @ 205

Today was a good day!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your lifting background, it seems a lot of us on here have some interesting training backgrounds dating back to high school.

You’ve built a great physique and it’s obvious you have years of lifting under your belt. Shouldn’t be ashamed to show it off!

2 Likes

I think there’s a line between being humble, modest, and confident versus egocentric, self-indulged, and cocky.

I think we all deserve to show the world the results of our sacrifice and dedication!

…but I’ll be sure that I don’t start walking around naked all the time. I don’t think anyone wants to see nude power cleans. LOL

2 Likes

I know you said you were 6’5" earlier but those numbers were abstract until I saw the videos. I’m guessing you don’t do clean and jerks, snatches, or overhead presses in your basement. :laughing: Also, is that why you use the wide grip on the deadlifts?

1 Like

That is correct! LOL I’m stuck with seated overhead press but it’s better than nothing.

I decided to try snatch grip deadlifts because it forces me to get lower at the start. If I fail a lift it’s right at the start so doing things like snatch grip or deficit deadlifts should help me improve in that area. It also hit some muscles in my back differently and it felt great!

2 Likes

Damn good physique for a tall guy.

1 Like

Rest Day

I’ve decided to go with a four day per week lifting program. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On the off days I will attempt to do some sort of cardio/conditioning.

I went to physical therapy for my lunch break today so I didn’t make it to the gym. I had hoped to do some low intensity exercise such as walking or an elliptical but no luck.

I’ve decided to take the day off entirely and have a few beers.

Update on my hip:

My quadratus lumborum and gluteus medius are extremely tight…like they feel like guitar strings. I have to continue to avoid things that hurt but also might need to be careful with my pull days which is a bit disappointing. I was just starting to enjoy myself. I’m not ready to call it quits yet so I might just keep the weights light and increase the volume.

**I switched to physical therapy because it’s the same co-pay as chiropractic care but I can get half of my money reimbursed from work. The program doesn’t cover chiropractic care. I’m also hoping things like ultrasound will help me heal up.

1 Like

4.22.17 (Push Day)

Hit the gym at City Hall for my “lunch break” this morning. I’m stupid and can’t even follow my own advice of taking it down a notch to let my tight QL and glute medius recover. The QL (quadratus lumborum) really helps out with spinal stabilization and bracing. So what did I do today? 3 hole partial squats with 365lbs. That didn’t require my QL to work at all! Now I’m sitting in my patrol car (Dodge Charger) and feeling tight and out of alignment… Brilliant!!!

3-Hole Squat
365x5
365x5
365x5
365x5
365x5

supersetted with Bench
185x2
185x2
185x2
185x2
185x2

Walking Lunges
Bodyweight x 50 steps (25 each leg)
Bodyweight x 50 steps again

Standing DB Military Press
55x5
60x4
65x3
60x5
65x4
70x3

Push-Ups
1 set of 45…ran out of time and got dispatched to a call so did one set to failure and had to run out.

Notes for the day:

Bench–I’m attempting to run the Layers program for bench, but I don’t like limiting myself to one chest session a week. I like CT’s stuff and his 915 program has you do 5 x 2 with 80% on the “explosive day”. Figured I’d do this on my second push workout of the week. It’s a nice and controlled eccentric and I try to accelerate the weight as fast as possible on the concentric.

Lunges–My conditioning circuit consisted of 100 lunges the other day and I’m still sore. So I thought I’d do some more since I’m limited on my leg lifting right now. These still slightly hurt my hip but it’s minor and goes away as I warm up. I’m sure the 3 Hole squats did more damage than lunges.

After today it is apparent that I’m going to have to stop being stubborn. I need to let the QL and glute medius recover. I’m not quite sure how to do that but I’m going to have to stop doing things that stress them. Anyone have any ideas??? I’m not ready to stop training legs. I’m loving deadlifts right now as I’ve adopted the approach of @ActivitiesGuy trying to get volume at moderate to heavy weights. The partial squats have been my solution for the hip pain but it’s aggravating the QL something fierce. It appears my leg training is about to come to standstill…

I still haven’t tried 1/2 reps on leg press. We used to do tons of those in our college baseball workouts… I don’t know why but that’s what the boss said to do. We also did heavy leg extensions with partial and full reps like you’d see in a set of 21’s for biceps…

Any ideas for a maintenance routine for legs that avoids aggravating my QL and glute medius would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I’m pursuing a 315 bench. Never put up 3 plates and now seems like a good time to focus on that. Fingers crossed that I don’t have any shoulder issues flare up!

1 Like

4.23.17 (Rest Day)

I weighed 223.4 first thing today. Up from 222.8lbs yesterday but I can fluctuate a pound or two every day. Heck, last week I lost 1.5lbs AFTER eating breakfast and going to the bathroom (that was some trip to the toilet).

I’m hoping to get some light cardio in today. I’ll probably just do it in my uniform. Might even keep my gear on. I’ll decide once I get there.

I spent a lot of time adjusting myself last night (popping my back). I stretched and foam rolled as much as possible. I woke up this morning and wasn’t too terribly out of alignment. My hip hurts when I get out of my patrol car and it had stopped doing that. Looking back a few weeks when it first started to give me problems at work, I realize that it hurt exiting the car but I didn’t notice the tightness in my QL and glute medius (mostly QL). I just had the stabbing hip pain below the greater trochanter on my femur. I switched to a Tahoe for a week or two and the pain stopped. I started driving my Charger again last week and I make sure to turn my hips a bit more when I get out to help avoid that stabbing pain and it’s been good. It’s back this morning.

I’m wondering if I’m not headed in the right direction though. So far it’s been this:

A) hip pain while squatting
B) hip pain exiting car at work
C) no hip pain at work but still during exercise
D) tight/painful QL.

Hopefully I’m heading back the other direction now and I’m back at C??? One can only hope. I’m throwing in the towel with most of my leg training. I’ll have to settle for partial reps on the leg press or I might try some bodyweight exercises like single-leg squats and the lunges to get some sort of work in. I’ll use the leg curl machines for hamstring work. I’ll also try to limit my overhead pressing so I don’t have to brace and use the QL muscle. I can get in some good work with some focused lateral and front raises. I might be able to pull off seated OHP but it may not be worth it. Incline presses will take the stress off my lower back and still hits the delts…plus my focus is on bench until I hit 3 plates.

On a side note, I find this training log thing to be therapeutic. I never read the logs prior to starting my own. I kind of had the mindset of “I don’t really care what other people are doing. It doesn’t affect me.” Now that I’m running a log, I’ve started following others. I feel like it creates camaraderie and I find it motivating to see what other people are doing. Seeing that @MarkKO has dropped 40 lbs in the past year inspires me to be dedicated every day. Watching @littlesleeper trying new conditioning circuits gives me ideas and motivates me to throw in some similar conditioning sessions. The 405lb Deadlift Challenge has been fun to watch and to be a part of. I sucked at it but it’s still fun to see everyone else’s results and the positive energy is infectious. Dare I say it’s a little like CrossFit in that aspect?

I’ve always trained hard and had different goals. Unfortunately I’ve allowed progress in one area to slip while I pursued a new goal so I haven’t maintained my progress. Recently I’ve noticed that I have a new zeal for my training. I’ve always had a passion for getting in the gym and it affects me negatively if I miss too much, but this is a new feeling. I’m feeling more focused. Adding deadlifts to my regular training has me feeling stronger than I’ve ever been. My one rep maxes may not show it right now but I feel it. Contrary to my current QL/glute medius hip issue my lower back is stronger than ever…and I think my back overall is still getting stronger from my new pull training.

I attribute all of that to this site and this forum. The discussion that goes on here has given me new ideas and encouraged me to try things I may not have done. And I just wanted to say thanks to @Lord_Humungous and @littlesleeper for encouraging me to start a log.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of working around injuries. And occasional de-loads or even complete rest can give nice rebound effect.

Bike sprints with high resistance, reverse hypers (you can go very heavy) can preserve and even add to leg strength and size.

1 Like

The summer of 2012 I exclusively ran sprints or did sprint drills three days a week instead of my traditional leg training. Didn’t lose an inch of size. Strength suffered but rebounded when I added weights back to the routine. This might be what I have to do until I heal up. I did that routine before we had kids so I would go to a nearby outdoor track whenever I wanted. Now I’m at home with a 4 year old and 10 month old on my days off so my options are limited for now. School is out in a few weeks though, and that will open things up for me. My wife is a teacher so summer time is glorious for training (for both of us). I can go wherever I want and take as long as I want.

2 Likes

Running sprints even better - and can alternate between with resistance and without as well.

Try doing sled pushes and such too. It’s important (as you’ve noted) to work around them to not lose size or strength, but ultimately to get better. Look at the log Chasing Records. He had injuries and just did heavy ass sled work and such and he’s still strong as shit.

1 Like

Made it to the gym for my lunch break. Did some cardio and abs.

Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer–Intervals
4 min warm-up
30 seconds on and 30 seconds off for 14 rounds
30 seconds off done at L1
30 seconds on done at increasing intensity
2 rounds at level 8
2 rounds at level 10
2 rounds at level 12
2 rounds at level 14
2 rounds at level 16
2 rounds at level 18
2 rounds at level 20 (machine’s max)
Finished with a 2:30 cool-down at L1

20 total minutes

DB Crunch
3 x 12 @ 100lbs

Back Extension
3 x 15 BW at a controlled speed

I shed my vest and belt to keep from soaking all my gear for the day. I still sweat through my shirt but it’s mostly in my neck and shoulders and should dry out soon.

I agree with your comments about the training logs.

I started reading T-Nation articles awhile before I ever dipped over into the forums section. Even then I wasn’t really sure where to find the most value in the forums. Training logs and prep logs (like Rob’s and Brick’s) have really been an invaluable resource in terms of ideas as well as motivation.

The little challenges/competitions are a great way to get people active as well as adding a bit more of a connection between ‘the regulars’. I know I wouldn’t be where I am without these logs! (although I would have a lot more free time on my hands from not working out/food prepping/reading the forums so damn much…)

3 Likes

4.24.17 (Supposed to be a Pull day…)

Soooo… I’m really only focused on bench right now due to the QL/hip issue so other things aren’t so important…such as knocking out a methodically planned back workout like usual.

Since it’s the first day of the week I decided to run the Mantathlon Challenge.

I’m stupid and prefaced it with my running workout.

Indoor track: 6 laps = 1 mile

Warm-up: jog 1 lap, 1 lap of lunges, high knees, butt kicks, leg swings, etc with one build up run (start slow and get up to speed by the end).

Workout: Run the straightaway (80-90 meters), walk the curve for 4 laps totaling 8 runs.

Warm-up took 5:09 and the workout took 7:27.

I sat and rested for about 5 minutes and took at least that long to warm-up and get ready for the challenge.

Bench: 225x11 reps (pretty happy with that!)
Chin-Ups: 18 reps more of a touch and go style like @anon50325502 video. I go all the way down but don’t spend too much time there. The article says to hang for 1 second…
Overhead Press: 115 x 13 (also happy with this :slight_smile: my legs started convulsing on the final two reps. Apparently I’m fatigued from yesterday’s “light” cardio and the running workout)
Dips: BW+65lbs x 11 reps (I screwed this up. Forgot to track down a chain or belt from which to hang the DB before starting. I scrambled to find something and managed a chain that I looped through my belt. Someone put the 65 where the 55 should’ve been so I grabbed that in my haste so I used 10 extra pounds)
Barbell Curls: 115x13 (Definitely not strict form. Not terrible but there was definitely some body english here. I wouldn’t say I was using my lower back to pull; more like my torso moved forward when I pulled)

So my total is 68 using slightly different mechanics than the article suggests. Sue me.

After this I finished my pull day.

Pull-Ups
10, 10, 5 straight reps today. A little worn out from the challenge.

Inverted Rows w/ Underhand Grip on TRX style set-up
4x8 with body weight…surprisingly harder than it sounds.

Seated Leg Curls (forgot I did these)
4x10 @ 110

Reverse Cable Fly
2x8 @ 40 lbs

Reverse Cable Fly (Delt Emphasis)
3x10 @ 20 lbs

–for these I allow my arms to cross all the way in front of me and stop the range of motion when they’re about at 90 degrees in relation to my chest. Think of a close-grip bench lockout position. I focus on constant tension in the rear delt and slow the movement down to get the desired result.

And to finish… I ran a mile. Yep, I ran a mile (or shuffled). I haven’t done that in a couple years and it was painful. I was beat from my running workout and the Challenge so I decided to run a mile. Figured it’d shed some light on how a potential Murph Challenge might feel at the end. I was moving so slow that I couldn’t get the lactic acid to flush out of my quads with each stride. I managed to maintain a pretty consistent pace of about 1:30 per lap and finished at 9:11. And then my right quad cramped. I took the elevator downstairs (all equipment is on the 3rd floor).

So that’s my day. I’m beat and it took 2 hours. Yesterday’s intervals on the Precor AMT took more out of me than I realized. I’m really struggling with this light cardio thing. I probably also butchered my chances for a good pressing workout tomorrow since I just did max reps on three pushing exercises.

Edit: added seated leg curls.

3 Likes

Nice session. That’s a lot of work!

Thanks! I usually Deadlift and power clean today but I need to heal up. I’m not really planning my days now that I have to skip stuff or find substitutes. I probably did a bit too much today but oh well. I tend to cram a lot of training into Mon, Tues, and Wed (my days off) and then just get a couple small sessions in the rest of the week.

I’d think those would be doable based on other stuff you did today.