Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I jogged 3 miles on the sidewalk once. My right knee (“bad” knee) started hating it around mile 2ish.

Started jogging on a dirt trail the local elementary school has and never had a joint issue besides overuse injuries in my feet from attempting to jog 3+ miles every other day.

See if you can find a trail nearby?

1 Like

A trail would be nice but we don’t have any here. We have bike paths but everything is concrete. The schools have tracks but they’re not open to the public. This isn’t a place where outdoor activities and fitness are held in high regard.

If I have to drive somewhere to run then I’ll go to the gym and use the treadmill. It also has an indoor track that’s six laps per mile which isn’t terrible compared to the other locations where it’s 11.

This was pretty darn funny as an opening statement. Sums up where I’ve been lately with running

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t think I could even say that sentence honestly!

1 Like

Might be a dumb question, because I have no idea if you actually have the room for it, but ever consider getting a heavy bag? It seems like you prefer interval type cardio, and it is pretty easy to achieve that with a bag. It is also pretty nice on your joints, although I don’t know if that is necessarily true with your history.

Plus, there are other benefits you don’t get from normal cardio/running. In a perfect world, I would be doing both.

Yes, I have and I can’t pull the trigger. It would make a lot of noise and shake the first floor of the house. I’m sure my wife would hate it. I’ve thought of putting one in the garage but I know I wouldn’t use it out there.

I would throw in a vote for the Body Action System that I use here

Went with that over a bag for those very reasons.

I definitely paid attention when you bought that. I’ve never had any boxing training. Do I need it or should I just start swinging?

I’m always going to advocate getting at least some basic instruction, but Bas sells the product as a home fitness type thing where you learn the techniques with an instructional DVD. The concerns with going at it with a lack of training is improper alignment of wrist and knuckles, resulting in sprained wrists and boxers fractures. You could circumvent that by wrapping the hell out of your wrists and getting some heavy duty bag gloves, depending on how much power you generate.

3 Likes

There is always a Bob. I expect there are pros and cons to each.

I’ve had wavemasters before. The price is right, and set up is simple, but I never cared for how easily they toppled over and the way they fedback force to me. Can definitely answer the mail for a conditioning workout.

The Bob is too heavy to topple, unless I think you are deliberately trying to. The feedback is pretty good, because he is heavy as shit, but different than a heavy bag…he is rooted to the floor like your BAS up there (although he can slide around a bit depending on what is under him).

I thought the Bob was on a wavemaster base/made by wavemaster. Am I thinking of a different product?

This is what I’ve used.

Based on a wavemaster, but not a wavemaster. And I guess there are a lot of different versions of each. I have the XL Bob, and he ain’t tipping over unless you are trying to. It would require more of a pushing motion than a striking motion. He weighs more than 250, and most of that is in the base.

Yeah, I was just meaning the base. I always considered the Bob an attachment to a WaveMaster. Haven’t had a chance to use the XL though…

The BAS base is interesting because the sandbags let it rise up when you strike it. It’s kinda like being in a spring.

Yeah, I assume the bases are the same. As long as you fill it with water or sand (heavier with sand), it is fine. The bigger pain is how to stop it from scooching all over the floor, because that it will do.

The only reason I wouldn’t consider the BAS is because I am kickboxing. Bob has tons of surface area to aim for. Looks pretty cool, though.

Yeah, gotta get the attachments for it there. They work well, especially for roundhouses.

1 Like

Sounds like its own teaching method. My buddy at work did a little pro boxing. He’s not a heavy hitter but he’s 8-0.

1 Like

Well, I was supposed to do my OHP day today, but that didn’t happen. We went back to my parents’ land to shoot and then we hit the pool. I introduced my daughter to guns today and she did great. We didn’t aim; I just wanted her to get used to the bang. She pressed the trigger on my new rifle while I held it and she shot my 9mm pistol with just a little support from me. I might have to find a smaller pistol for her tiny hands.

Back to training, I swam a bit to burn off some of the handfuls of peanut m&ms I ate, but I’m exhausted. My plan to move squats to Fridays so I’m not tired at work is proving to be a good call. Unfortunately, it also caused me to miss today’s session.

4 Likes

Sometimes life is more important, man. That sounds like an absolutely awesome day!

1 Like