Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Looks like @Cyrrex and me better get out coffins ready then

Do you have a cable station. I have been doing Standing One hand low cable rows for back and get a great stretch in my lat.

1 Like

I’m gonna throw in something old school and suggest checking out “Kelso’s Shrug Book” for some alternative low-tech solutions for addressing upper back musculature and thickness. Shrugging is one of those things I always wanna include more of in my own training.

2 Likes

I haven’t rebuilt mine. I moved all my equipment so we could fit the treadmill and elliptical in the room. And I’m not doing rows for lats. I want to do them for thickness.

1 Like

I just sleep in mine now, you know, just in case.

LOL if I slept in one, my misses would nail the top down.

1 Like

I’ve always found these to hit my biceps more than anything. Probably why I stopped, too close to a curl for my liking.

I’m roughly the same age as you, and find myself getting increasingly disheartened whenever I hear people mention 35 as the magic number over which all gains disappear. Soon time to prove them wrong I guess.

1 Like

Well now you guys are just being super mean.

1 Like

To be totally fair, my main source for this is a 63 year old who still comfortably out lifts me, so I probably have to acknowledge that maybe my age isn’t my main issue.

1 Like

You guys don’t yet realize age is relative. Deadlift/squat/bench numbers can go up well into your 40s and maybe beyond if you lift steadily. Lift intelligently and this sport produces healthy side effects throughout your lives; also fights appearance of aging.

4 Likes

I was blown away by this video:

The old dude about 1.5 mins in, can barely walk and just causal as you like nails 20kg over my pr, must be mid 80s and weighs nothing, amazing.

1 Like

Look at Charles Staley, keeps getting better and stronger at 58 and he’s been lifting for a freaking long time. Or the Kabuki strength co-founder Rudy Kadlub who set a fucking 557 kgs total at 70 last year…

Indeed some are keen of the barbell rows, but many coaches or athletes says it’s mostly a deadlift assistance lift. Or that they feel too much in the arms (I know I do). I prefer a dozen different lifts over this for my lats

You misunderstood my intent with that one. I’m too old to waste time and worry about minutiae. I don’t care about doing an exercise for my rhomboids, my teres major, my rear delts, my lats, my middle traps, my upper traps, and so on. I want to something hard that hits about everything and then be done with it. I don’t think I’m done progressing. I think majoring in the minors is something young/new trainees do. We’re too experienced and wise to make that mistake.

Love and hate that guy. He’s a beast.

For the fourth time, I’m doing rows for mid back thickness, not lats!!! :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey man, I heard you want to do something for your lats!

2 Likes

Yeah, and he chose rows.

ROWS.

Pfft. Amateur.

2 Likes

@alex_uk @kdjohn

If pull ups are for lats and rows are for lats then there’s no longer any mystery about why most lifters don’t have a thick back. :thinking: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Don’t lats give you a thick back?!

Hmm need to do more rows!

I just looked up the old guy (Roy Mason) on OpenPowerlifting.com.

He was 76 at the time, weighed 151, and deadlifted 485 (3.2X body weight). Truly a impressive feat at any age, but at 76 it is remarkable. IMO far more impressive than Ronnie’s lifts that day.

2 Likes

Right, so rowing for the lats.

Say, what are you doing to target your teres minor?

1 Like

I spent way too much time doing that after my shoulder surgery.