T Nation

Just. Don't. Suck. (JMaier)

I was going to work out today but I wanted to finish my new workout space first. Well, that took all day. I took apart my platform, cut it down to 6’ x 8’ (it was 8x8 originally) and removed a layer of lumber. I used the extra lumber to build an ugly base for the new rack. If I didn’t put it on the same level as my lifting floor then the rack was too low. I also didn’t want a lip or discrepancy in floor height from the interior of the rack to the platform.

Before

After

Now I just need to use it.

11 Likes

9.21.20 - OHP

I don’t think my cycle or week numbers matter right now.

OHP
45 x 10
95 x 5
120 x 5 x 5
PULL UPS
BW x 8 x 5 sets

SMITH INCLINE 1.5s
115 x 11, 9
WIDE CABLE ROW
170 x 10 x 2
CABLE REAR DELT FLY
40 x 15 x 2

SQUATS
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1 x 5 sets

PREACHER CURLS
35 x 30, 20

I’m going to do Daily Dose of Squats until I hate them less. I also like doing something every day, even if it’s only a few minutes of work. I need that right now. I have no clue what I’ll do when I get back from my week off. Daily Dose of Squats will be there, but I’m not sure what I’ll do with the rest of me. I think I might be overdoing the shoulder work. OHP with shoulder finishers on one day. Incline with OHP and shoulder finishers on the other day. I’m beating the hell out of them. Perhaps I’ve drifted into the annihilate end of the spectrum. Also, does it matter if I do 5-10 sets per week vs 10-20 sets? Doubtful.

3 Likes

Yes, give the squats some love!

2 Likes

I tried the “more squatting” template from 531 2nd edition. Definitely got better at them, but can’t say they got anymore pleasant.

2 Likes

Great home gym setup and great bargain.

1 Like

Nice find on the rack JM, and also great work on the DL!

Hope all else is well.

1 Like

How’d you do the punisher image on the platform? It looks like you had a stencil and painted the rubber, but is the one on the wood a sticker?

1 Like

My buddy’s wife does that Etsy thing where they make stickers and other products. She made it for me. It was a tricky booger; it’s all one layer but three colors. He had to try to align the different colors perfectly. I love that emblem, but I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle of doing it again. It’s going to get beat up so I might just use the stencil and spray paint on the next one.

I really need to redo the middle portion of the platform. I would prefer to have one piece from the front of the rack to where I deadlift. I don’t like the seams. The hard part is that my dumbbells put dents in the wood. The best place to put a rubber mat is right in the middle of the platform (yes, I could just throw down some scrap rubber mats, but that’s annoying). The addition of the Smith pushed my squatting area back so I had to move my wood around. The rubber flooring at the back of the platform is just scraps cut to fit. I didn’t have any good looking wood left so I used those. I don’t stand there anyway.

1 Like

It looks pretty slick whether you spray it one color or the tri-color, so either way is pretty cool.

1 Like

I printed out the Punisher logo, cut it out with a razor blade, and used a thumb tack to stick it to the rubber mat. I just started painting skulls all over the place :smile:.

I like the green one. If I redo everything then I’ll probably go with green and then put a clear coat over it. My friend’s wife can make bigger logos now so I could get a bigger skull. I might just go with a single color to make it easier to apply, though. I could even just go with black and the Thin Blue Line and let the “white” space be the wood. That would be much easier. The stars on mine are individual little stickers.

1 Like

A large one of these right in the center would be awesome.

Do you prefer the home gym?

I used to only use it on days where I was stuck in the house but Covid helped me really appreciate it. The only two things I was missing were cables and space to do standing OHP. I have cables now and there’s no fixing the OHP issue, but I can always haul my stuff outside once a week.

1 Like

We’ll see what happens with travel next year. If it stays more or less gone, the home gym may be worth revisiting for me

1 Like

9.22.20 C2 W? D3 - Deadlift

DAILY DOSE OF SQUATS
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 5 singles

DEADLIFT
185 x 5
275 x 3
365 x 2
365 x 5 x 5
Did 350 last time and should’ve repeated it but didn’t feel like stripping the weight and getting to that number so I just used 365.

HANG POWER CLEAN
185 x 3, 3
This suddenly hurts my shoulder so I stopped.

RDL
185 x 8
195 x 8
205 x 8

5 Likes

9.24.20 - Incline

INCLINE
45 x 15
135 x 5
155 x 5 x 5
WIDE CABLE ROW
150 x 8
170 x 8 x 5
SQUAT
135 x 3
225 x 5 singles

PUSH PRESS
135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5
PULL UPS
BW x 8 x 4 sets

Time: 30 minutes

My mental health is crap. In regards to training, I wonder if there’s any point in doing all the “fluff” work that I do to build muscles. Are compound movements for sets of 3-8 reps good enough at my age? Take today’s session as an example; is that a good session or should I add the lateral raises, reverse fly’s, arms, etc.?

My conditioning workouts have disappeared over the past week. I’m not happy with myself for that, but I also don’t feel compelled to go do anything. I’m hoping to at least to DT tomorrow. I’m going on vacation from Saturday through the following Saturday so there will be no training. I’ll be camping in the mountains near lakes and streams. It’ll be a welcome break from normal.

On a personal note, my mental health is not good. I have depression and it’s kicking my ass. It probably runs in my family (along with alcohol abuse). I see a lot of the same behavior in myself that I see in my dad, his brother, and their dad (based on what my dad has told me). My dad doesn’t seem to be as bad as his dad and I’m not as bad as him. I’d like to keep that trending downwards with me and my son. The short version is that I’m basically numb and feel nothing. I’m barely hanging on to my training and that’s out of stubbornness.

As far as I can tell, something in my brain broke on June 2nd when I stood in the street for 12 minutes like bait while an angry mob threw stuff at me and my coworkers. And then there was the gunfire. I think the reason it affected me more than other work experiences is that we had not clear mission or objective and we definitely didn’t have the tools to complete that. We just stood there. Our Chief didn’t want to look to mean so he sent us out there unprepared and we got our asses kicked. And even then they didn’t deploy the SWAT team. They held them back while we stood there even though they were only a block away. 12 minutes. We were the bait. The Chief let us go out there and fail to justify deploying the mean looking trucks and guys in army fatigues.

As much as I’d like to say I can handle it, I can’t. My wife tells me my eyes are blank. There’s nothing there. It’s the way I looked when I arrived home that night and it’s the way I look today. I have to fix it. I can’t fail my family.

4 Likes

I got no advice for ya, man. But I can definitely sympathize with you, all the way down to familial traits manifesting in me from my dad’s line as well, that I fear will manifest in my son.

Watching your training and knowing what you do and the advice you’ve given — you’re inspiring, my dude.

1 Like

Or is it because of your job? Being a cop is so tough. You have to endure so much gratuitous hate, stressful scenarios, violence, death… The number of suicides in my country is twice as high in the police and gendarmerie. Honestly I don’t know what to tell you to help you…

If you want to maintain, no need for fluff. If you want to progress, probably! And it is always useful to correct weaknesses. personally fluff/pump makes me feel good. It’s “easy”, fast, makes you look bigger, you have good sensations in the muscles…
CT argues that for athletes having some fluff work (he usually goes for 10-15 mins max at the end of gut-wrenching sessions, or on its own day) is good to relieve the mental pressure, and have a positive impact on performance either via psychological factors (confidence, intimidation), or physical ones (improving triceps strength will lead to bench press improvements, for example).

Really sorry to hear your mental health is suffering J, I know it’s probably a weird offer, but if you ever need someone to talk to in real life feel free to reach out, praying for you.

1 Like

Brother man if you ever need to reach out you can email me any time.

I haven’t got the time in the job to give too much advice yet, but I’m always down to listen.

You’ve had this 4 months? Nothing at all wrong about seeing a psychologist or a shrink. Police department must have some sort of expert on retainer for this sort of stuff.

1 Like