Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

It’s changing because things that were once unheard of are now acceptable. The ages of our violent offenders is dropping every year. It’s not uncommon to see 8th graders committing felonies every day of the week. Burglary to auto, shoplifting, drive-by’s - it’s nothin to them.

1 Like

Hard and heartbreaking job in equal measure I’m sure. Just know that despite the what some of the loudest voices say, you have a huge amount of support, I wouldn’t want to live in a society without a well structured and just police force.

3 Likes

I wish I could gold star this statement. So true.

To toot my own horn: whenever someone at work asks why I never react or engage with the idiots who are screaming at me, my response is almost always, “Because I could ragdoll them, and I don’t need that on my conscience.”

1 Like

Your response is much better than mine. My answers are that I need the paycheck and don’t want to go to jail. They would charge me and give me the max sentence if I crossed the line. Gotta make examples out of cops, ya know?

I’ve seen enough horrible people that I don’t think it would bother my conscience one bit to throat punch one of them.

3 Likes

This is why I could never be a police officer. I get angry just watching loud-mouthed idiots insulting police on TV. Huge respect for the officers who are doing the job every day in real life, it’s a huge responsibility.

1 Like

It’s been one of those weeks. My unit was assigned to some special follow up on gun crimes. I enjoyed it but I didn’t get to work out Tuesday - Thursday.

I played basketball last night. I felt better since my legs weren’t sore from lifting. I could’ve worked out this morning, but my back is jacked up so I decided to rest everything.

I spent Sunday and Monday evening fighting with my new rack. I found some bolts that were hidden from my regular view. I also ended up disassembling the entire cable rigging. I’d hoped to avoid that but no luck. I had to take off the pec deck arms, as well. I finally got it inside Tuesday morning and finished reassembling the cables this morning.

In the end, the assembly was pretty simple. It was just difficult to me because I didn’t put it together so I didn’t get to see the process.

It’s ironic that I spent so much time assembling a piece of exercise equipment while simultaneously skipping workouts.

5 Likes

I think I just bought one of those bench/squat stand combos with 300 lbs of weight for $400. The only reason I bought it is because the weights alone are worth $400-500. I don’t need any of it. I’m going to resell it in pieces and make a profit.

2 Likes

It’s official. I snagged 305 lbs of weights plus a bar plus an adjustable bench and squat stands for $400. I’m keeping the extra set of 25s and selling the rest. Any profit I make will go towards the unnecessary purchase of bumper plates.

4 Likes

9.19.20 C2 W2 D1 - Legs

Well, this program is going to crap in a hurry. Basketball plus lifting is not working.

SQUAT
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 3 x 5 sets

POWER CLEAN
135 x 3
175 x 5 x 3 sets
Supposed to be five sets but nope.

DEADLIFT
275 x 3
365 x 1
445 x 1 x 3
Also supposed to be five sets.

CLEAN PULLS
nope

RFESS
2 x 10

Time to make some changes. I’m wrecked from basketball. I’m not sure what to do but this isn’t working.

2 Likes

Squats don’t feel terrible on the Saturday after basketball so they’ll stay. RFESS or reverse lunges will be a staple and I think I’ll do clean pulls. That’s it for squat day.

I’ll add a separate deadlift day back to the mid-week. I think it’ll still allow me to play basketball without having too much leg fatigue. Power cleans and RDLs will accompany them. Leg days will be short and sweet… except 5x5 doesn’t feel so sweet.

I’ll stick with 5x5 this week and do it again when I return from my vacation. I think my body will enjoy the break.

1 Like

I was going to work out today but I wanted to finish my new workout space first. Well, that took all day. I took apart my platform, cut it down to 6’ x 8’ (it was 8x8 originally) and removed a layer of lumber. I used the extra lumber to build an ugly base for the new rack. If I didn’t put it on the same level as my lifting floor then the rack was too low. I also didn’t want a lip or discrepancy in floor height from the interior of the rack to the platform.

Before

After

Now I just need to use it.

11 Likes

9.21.20 - OHP

I don’t think my cycle or week numbers matter right now.

OHP
45 x 10
95 x 5
120 x 5 x 5
PULL UPS
BW x 8 x 5 sets

SMITH INCLINE 1.5s
115 x 11, 9
WIDE CABLE ROW
170 x 10 x 2
CABLE REAR DELT FLY
40 x 15 x 2

SQUATS
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1 x 5 sets

PREACHER CURLS
35 x 30, 20

I’m going to do Daily Dose of Squats until I hate them less. I also like doing something every day, even if it’s only a few minutes of work. I need that right now. I have no clue what I’ll do when I get back from my week off. Daily Dose of Squats will be there, but I’m not sure what I’ll do with the rest of me. I think I might be overdoing the shoulder work. OHP with shoulder finishers on one day. Incline with OHP and shoulder finishers on the other day. I’m beating the hell out of them. Perhaps I’ve drifted into the annihilate end of the spectrum. Also, does it matter if I do 5-10 sets per week vs 10-20 sets? Doubtful.

3 Likes

Yes, give the squats some love!

2 Likes

I tried the “more squatting” template from 531 2nd edition. Definitely got better at them, but can’t say they got anymore pleasant.

2 Likes

Great home gym setup and great bargain.

1 Like

Nice find on the rack JM, and also great work on the DL!

Hope all else is well.

1 Like

How’d you do the punisher image on the platform? It looks like you had a stencil and painted the rubber, but is the one on the wood a sticker?

1 Like

My buddy’s wife does that Etsy thing where they make stickers and other products. She made it for me. It was a tricky booger; it’s all one layer but three colors. He had to try to align the different colors perfectly. I love that emblem, but I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle of doing it again. It’s going to get beat up so I might just use the stencil and spray paint on the next one.

I really need to redo the middle portion of the platform. I would prefer to have one piece from the front of the rack to where I deadlift. I don’t like the seams. The hard part is that my dumbbells put dents in the wood. The best place to put a rubber mat is right in the middle of the platform (yes, I could just throw down some scrap rubber mats, but that’s annoying). The addition of the Smith pushed my squatting area back so I had to move my wood around. The rubber flooring at the back of the platform is just scraps cut to fit. I didn’t have any good looking wood left so I used those. I don’t stand there anyway.

1 Like

It looks pretty slick whether you spray it one color or the tri-color, so either way is pretty cool.

1 Like

I printed out the Punisher logo, cut it out with a razor blade, and used a thumb tack to stick it to the rubber mat. I just started painting skulls all over the place :smile:.

I like the green one. If I redo everything then I’ll probably go with green and then put a clear coat over it. My friend’s wife can make bigger logos now so I could get a bigger skull. I might just go with a single color to make it easier to apply, though. I could even just go with black and the Thin Blue Line and let the “white” space be the wood. That would be much easier. The stars on mine are individual little stickers.

1 Like