T Nation

Just Deadlifts and Weighted Dips

I know this routine is so minimal it can be called lazy however why make things complicated when you can get away two lifts. Deadlifts work the entire back side as well as the quads to an extent (not like squats) and dips work the anterior upper body beach muscles. If I actually consider doing a routine, it would probably be like a PTTP style program.

Throw in chins and it’s not bad. Replace deads with squats and you have the ironmind squat-dip-chin program. Replace deads with trap bar lifts and you have a Stuart McRobert program.

I would do a squat bench chin program if I had a long torso and short limbs.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Throw in chins and it’s not bad. Replace deads with squats and you have the ironmind squat-dip-chin program. Replace deads with trap bar lifts and you have a Stuart McRobert program.[/quote]

Would deadlifts hit the upper back and rear delts enough to exclude chins?

[quote]xagunos wrote:

Throw in chins and it’s not bad. Replace deads with squats and you have the ironmind squat-dip-chin program. Replace deads with trap bar lifts and you have a Stuart McRobert program.[/quote]

Would deadlifts hit the upper back and rear delts enough to exclude chins?[/quote]

Upper back, probably. Rear delts, maybe but doubtful. More importantly though, you’re forgetting the biceps and lats. Deads might do a bit of isometric work but nothing else for them. Hence the chins.

[quote]238 wrote:

[quote]xagunos wrote:

Would deadlifts hit the upper back and rear delts enough to exclude chins?[/quote]

Upper back, probably. Rear delts, maybe but doubtful. More importantly though, you’re forgetting the biceps and lats. Deads might do a bit of isometric work but nothing else for them. Hence the chins.[/quote]

I think you are right about the biceps but I feel like heavy deads work my lats hard. Especially the lower lats.

[quote]xagunos wrote:
I think you are right about the biceps but I feel like heavy deads work my lats hard. Especially the lower lats.[/quote]

If that is the case, you don’t need to do chins. In my experience, the upper back handles way more volume than the rest of the body, and I do much better blasting it with work, but if you don’t need to in order to get bigger and stronger, then full steam ahead.

If that is the case[/quote]

How would that be the case if he has the same anatomy and structure as normal humans? Unless he’s referring to isometric work as ‘hard enough’, which I don’t think will balance with dips. Push:Pull ratio, rounded shoulders…etc.

Depends on your structure: 50% of trainees will be fine, the other 50 will have seriously pissed off shoulders

[quote]Mina293 wrote:

If that is the case[/quote]

How would that be the case if he has the same anatomy and structure as normal humans? Unless he’s referring to isometric work as ‘hard enough’, which I don’t think will balance with dips. Push:Pull ratio, rounded shoulders…etc. [/quote]

If he achieves his goals by using this method, it works.

I’m with T3hPwnisher, on this, I spent all through my teens, and into my early 20s, jsut doing squat-dip- chin routine. My boxing coach put me on it, and I focused soley on those 3 lifts for almost 5yrs, while all my buddies were following BBing routines, and I built alot more stength and mass, than any of them. If you wnated to replace the squats for deads, I don’t think it’s the end of the world, mabey throw a deficit under your feet, so your legs get sum more work from the deads, but other wise you’ll gain alot of torso mass, and strength from this routine, and by doing different grips on the chins, your arms will grom as well. This is the routine we followed

Mon. Squats 1x20 ( hard as fuck) 3sets of dips and chins supersetted to failure

Thurs. squats 5x5, Dips and chins 5x5 supesetted with weight added

By the time I got into PLing in my early 20s, I could squat 315x20 - 15 dips +100lbs - 10 full chins + 50lbs, this translated well into PLing, and before long I was moving big weight in the dead, and bench. I think at some point everyone should try abriveated training, amazing things can happen when you narrow your focus. Also agree you could read some McRoberst, if you like this kind of training. Goodluck

Just watched the vid above, and as much as I don’t want to agree, I do :slight_smile: well said, and right !

It depends on your goals

If you don´t care about huge legs but want them strong and tonned deads are fine. IMO the deadlift is way underrated in comparison to the squat (not to say the squat is bad or that you shouldn´t squat. I would never say that)
If you do the PTTP techniques concerning a program like that you will be able to blast your arms and hell even lats with just 2 exercises. I myself experienced a lot of bicep stimulation during…brace yourself…the bench press.

On the other hand if you want to be big it is a must to squat for the legs and do any kind of pull for the back. The fewer exercises the better but trying to hit all your body with them.
Dips are fine but I would rather do OHP and BP for the pecs. There is a saying that someone should be able to do 12-15 chins before even attempting weight training. I doubt much people live by that rule but don´t neglect the chin/pull up. Not only they develop the back like nothing else but are an awesome exercise. Don´t neglect them

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
I’m with T3hPwnisher, on this, I spent all through my teens, and into my early 20s, jsut doing squat-dip- chin routine. My boxing coach put me on it, and I focused soley on those 3 lifts for almost 5yrs, while all my buddies were following BBing routines, and I built alot more stength and mass, than any of them. If you wnated to replace the squats for deads, I don’t think it’s the end of the world, mabey throw a deficit under your feet, so your legs get sum more work from the deads, but other wise you’ll gain alot of torso mass, and strength from this routine, and by doing different grips on the chins, your arms will grom as well. This is the routine we followed

Mon. Squats 1x20 ( hard as fuck) 3sets of dips and chins supersetted to failure

Thurs. squats 5x5, Dips and chins 5x5 supesetted with weight added

By the time I got into PLing in my early 20s, I could squat 315x20 - 15 dips +100lbs - 10 full chins + 50lbs, this translated well into PLing, and before long I was moving big weight in the dead, and bench. I think at some point everyone should try abriveated training, amazing things can happen when you narrow your focus. Also agree you could read some McRoberst, if you like this kind of training. Goodluck

[/quote]

People want to think it’s so complicated, but your post just sums it up perfectly. It’s not about having a program built by Mr. Olympia and a diet programmed by NASA, it’s about busting your ass for decades. Even the most basic and brutal routine will get great results after enough time.

I still use this exact program above, for my hockey player’s, from Jan - may, it’s the hardest time of the year, and this program allows us to maintain (somtmes increase) strength, without effecting on ice performance. It’s funny that my old boxing coach form 20yrs ago put me on this program, and after 20yrs of training myself, and client’s, taking seminars, coarses, and certificate’s. I keep comming back to this same old simple program, designed by an old misserable german boxing coach, that would throw us out of the gym if he caught us doing curls ( true story) he tought bulky muscle’s slowed you down.

Anyway, the point is, it’s brilliant in it’s simplicity, and I don’t understand people that are so against this type of training, when they’ve never tried it, even a 3mth cycle of only squats ( deads) dips and chins, will suprise you, and if nothing else allow you to have an intelligent perspective to argue one way or the other about abriviated training.

To the OP, I say go nuts, I know one thing for sure, it won’t make you weaker, and it won’t make you smaller, at worst you may have to play some catch up down the road, with some of your smaller muscle groups, and getting so big, that you have to play catch up with your calves or bicept’s isn’t such a bad problem. Goodluck !

why wont you rotate between front squat and pull up and on the other workout deads and dips/
A:
front squat 5X5
pullup 5X5

B:
deadlift 3-5X5
dips 5X5

add some form of cardio and stretching and you got the perfect minimal training.