Just Bought the VR CD

Just got the new Velvet Revolver CD at the insistance of my wife. Sounds okay - like a predictable cross between G&R and STP. But that’s not my gripe.

WTF is going on with this CD? I have to sign a license agreement before I can rip this thing to my hard drive? That’s bullshit. I bought 5 new CD’s last night and VR is the only fucking group that is that scared of piracy?

I guess somebody’s been talking to Lars from Metallica.

Pricks.

The CD is ok, but I would save your money and don’t bother seeing them live. The sound setup on at least 3 of their tour dates last month was terrible. The guitar solo was some weird vocal synth thing and just generally disappointing overall.

You really thought it was a predictable cross between G-n-F-n-R and STP?
I don’t…I don’t even think Weiland sounds like he does singing for STP.
And don’t forget, GNR was AXL.
Just my .02, not being snippy!
–T.

You can hear Slash’s guitar dancing around in almost every song - not a bad thing if you like Slash, but I don’t care for him all that much.

I was never a G&R fan anyhow. Nor have I ever been a ‘supergroup’ fan.

But my gripe isn’t with the music so much as it is with the fact that I had to click on a ‘license agreement’ before I could listen to the fucking CD on my computer.

You’d think they’d write shit worth stealing before they got that proud of their music.

well…this should make you happy then:
I haven’t bought it, and more than likely won’t. At least not until it’s one of those CD’s that’s marked way down.
I’ve …shhhh…downloaded…shhhh…almost the whole album from…well, somewhere.
Weren’t those people nice to let me borrow their music?
What? Lars?
Oh, no, not me!

A CD has you sign a license agreement before you can rip it? Fck that sht man, I’d take it right back and get a refund.

I get really annoyed when I pay for the damn music and then they make me jump thru hoops before I can listen to it. Annoy your paying customers, RIAA, there’s a bang-on PR move. Sh*theads.

I rip all my CDs because I use my computer as a jukebox for all my sound systems in the house; and I keep copies in the car 'cause having originals stolen/scratched/broken pisses me off.

[quote]pookie wrote:
A CD has you sign a license agreement before you can rip it? Fck that sht man, I’d take it right back and get a refund.

I get really annoyed when I pay for the damn music and then they make me jump thru hoops before I can listen to it. Annoy your paying customers, RIAA, there’s a bang-on PR move. Sh*theads.

I rip all my CDs because I use my computer as a jukebox for all my sound systems in the house; and I keep copies in the car 'cause having originals stolen/scratched/broken pisses me off.[/quote]

I do the exact same thing, rip all cds to my hard drive, and burn a copy of the disc that goes in my car to get dropped, stepped on, thrown accross the black top, ect.

So let me get this straight, you put the disc in your computer and some bullshit pops up about having to agree not to copy it and sell it you everyone you know?

Many CDs that do that shit do so with software. If that’s the case with this one, your mistake was having “autoplay” enabled. It ran the software and made you agree to its terms.

Disabling autoplay so it can’t run the license virus, then just buring the raw songs, is usually an easy solution.

I really like Slash.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
So let me get this straight, you put the disc in your computer and some bullshit pops up about having to agree not to copy it and sell it you everyone you know?

[/quote]

I don’t know what the license agreement said - does anyone ever read those things?

But I do the same thing as you mentioned. I rip everything. I have kids. You have to if you want to have any music around the house.

This is the first time in 70 or 80 CD’s that I’ve gotten this license agreement thing. I do have autoplay enabled, but it’s been enabled on all my comuters since Win 95. I guess you learn something new everyday.

You have to look at supergroups a certain way…

Velvet Revolver will never be G-N-R, or STP.

Audioslave will never be RATM or Soundgarden…

Perfect Circle will never be Tool… Etc.

They are a new band with old guys from different groups. You have to listen to them with an open mind. Personally, these supergroups will never meet the mark that was set by their previous bands, but they do have good things to offer.

On a similar note, does anyone remember the grunge supergroup “Mad Season?” They had only one album, but I liked it a lot, still listen to it on occasion.

To rip the VR CD and bypass all of the licensing bullshit, go to http://www.poikosoft.com/ and download the free trial version of Easy CD-DA Extractor.

no muss, no fuss…

MicroSlash - “Scaring the crap out of parents with hot daughters since 1988”

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

They are a new band with old guys from different groups. You have to listen to them with an open mind. Personally, these supergroups will never meet the mark that was set by their previous bands, but they do have good things to offer.

On a similar note, does anyone remember the grunge supergroup “Mad Season?” They had only one album, but I liked it a lot, still listen to it on occasion.
[/quote]

I love supergroups.

Mad Season
Temple of the Dog
Liquid Tension Experiment
Transatalntic
Yellow Matter Custard - a Beatles cover band that only played one show at BB King’s. I was there, they were great.

http://www.radiantrecords.com/catalog.asp?Item=169

If you like Prog rock or the Beatles, this is an album to pick up. Paul Gilbert’s Solo in “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” is, as drummer Mike Portnoy said that night: Absolutely Fucking Amazing!

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[/quote]

I have retract a bitand say that there is only one ‘supergroup’ that I am a genuine fan of - that is Audioslave. I wasn’t a big RATM fan, or Soundgarden for that matter.

But sometimes the stars align just right and the Rock Gods smile on a group of guys. Besides, the guitarist has one of the coolest tattoos I’ve ever seen in my life.

Rain-

Do you mean the bassist who has the all black shoulder?

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Rain-

Do you mean the bassist who has the all black shoulder?

B.[/quote]

Yeah - that’s the guy. I’m drawn to it everytime I see one of their videos.