T Nation

Just Bought Elbow Sleeves

I just bought a pair of TK (Tommy Kono) Elbow Sleeves.

From what I found in the history of the forum, they look to be a great choice. Just hope the size will fit right. I ordered the small one, my elbow cir is 12.5 inch. Should fit!

I was thinking of using them for every set as prevention, would you guy use them only on later heavier set?

Why not just put them on when you get changed? And you want them to get nice and warm for when you hit your work sets.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
Why not just put them on when you get changed? And you want them to get nice and warm for when you hit your work sets.[/quote]

i know with mine, my hands go purple after not so long.

There is no leaving the fucking things on or putting them on right away.

I’m bumping up to the XXXL’s when I order my prowler next month.

That make sense.

Do you think the small size may be to tight? I have really small joint 7.5 inch wrist and 12.5 inch elbow and I have 14.5 inch forearms.

Anyway I’ll see. Tighter is always better :wink:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

Do you think the small size may be to tight? I have really small joint 7.5 inch wrist and 12.5 inch elbow and I have 14.5 inch forearms.

Anyway I’ll see. Tighter is always better :wink: [/quote]

I don’t have teh same brand you do, but I think my arms grew faster than they stretch.

I would not be able to get a small up to my elbow, not without motor oil lube. Even then my arm would go purple in 3 seconds.

Have any of you tried a cheaper brand of sleeves? I am using “PRO” neoprene sleeves that have certainly helped, but I am wondering if should just go ahead spend the extra money on TK’s. They appear to be a great product, like ALX highly recommended on these forums, just wondering if in switching to TK’s you felt/noticed a significant difference?

I made some from a large Nike dri-fit long sleeve shirt I wasn’t wearing much, I just cut the the sleeves off to a comfortable length and they worked fine lol. Yeah I’m a cheap bastard :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

I don’t know much about elbow sleeves but 7.5 is not a small wrist at ALL. I have big wrists and mine are a little bigger than 8".

[quote]Patha wrote:
Have any of you tried a cheaper brand of sleeves? I am using “PRO” neoprene sleeves that have certainly helped, but I am wondering if should just go ahead spend the extra money on TK’s. They appear to be a great product, like ALX highly recommended on these forums, just wondering if in switching to TK’s you felt/noticed a significant difference? [/quote]

I have the McDavid brand neoprene ones and I like them. I actually had to buy the XL calf sleeves to fit and I have already started to grow out of them. They are a bitch to get on and they stink something fierce since I use them on all training days except legs. I think they’ve help with my bicep tendinitis and keeping my elbows warm. I put them on before I get to the gym, if not my forearms get to pumped and I can’t get them on.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

I don’t know much about elbow sleeves but 7.5 is not a small wrist at ALL. I have big wrists and mine are a little bigger than 8".[/quote]

Ok, I was with the idea it is small. They look small to me. I’ll see soon if I should have bought one size larger, but I’m confident, those thing are built with powerlifter in mind, not samll fuck like me, that make sense that I need the small size and since they wrote on the web site:

Small fits-11" to14", Regular fits-14" and larger

Anyway I’ll let you know how they fit on me to give you an idea

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

I don’t have teh same brand you do, but I think my arms grew faster than they stretch.

I would not be able to get a small up to my elbow, not without motor oil lube. Even then my arm would go purple in 3 seconds.[/quote]

What brand are you using?

[quote]ALX wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

I would not be able to get a small up to my elbow, not without motor oil lube. Even then my arm would go purple in 3 seconds.[/quote]

What brand are you using?[/quote]

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=139&pid=3015

And the XXL’s are really too small I think

[quote]ALX wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

And the XXL’s are really too small I think[/quote]

XXL for sure. Even that size was too tight at first. I use them 1-2 times/week. Seem to be loosening up a little - as in I do have road rash and blood bruises on the inside of my arm any more.

OP,

I have the TK knee sleeves that I can now use for elbows and I really don’t think my arms are very big. I think you should have at least bought the next size up above yours since you do plan to grow, right?

Wear the sleeves from the beginning. Mine do not add any carryover, so it is solely for the comfort. The longer you wear them, the warmer your joint gets. By the time you hit your top sets, any elbow pain you had will be non existent.

Countingbeans, sounds like your’s are entirely too small. I would consider mine “snug” when I use them on my elbows and they still provide all the benefits.

Patha, I don’t have much experience with other sleeves, but I would say any neoprene sleeves are at least helpful. How thick are the ones you are mentioning? My friend has some old torn up sleeves that are pretty thin, they provide a little bit of warmth but nothing like the TK sleeves (they are thick!).

[quote]ALX wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
That make sense.

Ok, I did take a look at the chart size and I can read that you should use 3XL for a 12.5 inchs at the elbow and 4XL for 13 inch elbow.

the chart is pretty different than the TK one

i have Inzer elbow sleeves with velcro tighteners. mine are over 5 years old and pretty much all the little rubber bands are broken in them. i still like them for my purposes. they keep my elbows warm and the joint feeling tight.

i’ve tried the kind that you just pull up over the arm and i hated them. they always felt like they were cutting off my circulation and it interfered with the natural bend of my arms.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
OP,

I have the TK knee sleeves that I can now use for elbows and I really don’t think my arms are very big. I think you should have at least bought the next size up above yours since you do plan to grow, right?

Wear the sleeves from the beginning. Mine do not add any carryover, so it is solely for the comfort. The longer you wear them, the warmer your joint gets. By the time you hit your top sets, any elbow pain you had will be non existent.

Countingbeans, sounds like your’s are entirely too small. I would consider mine “snug” when I use them on my elbows and they still provide all the benefits.

Patha, I don’t have much experience with other sleeves, but I would say any neoprene sleeves are at least helpful. How thick are the ones you are mentioning? My friend has some old torn up sleeves that are pretty thin, they provide a little bit of warmth but nothing like the TK sleeves (they are thick!).[/quote]

OK, thanks for the input. If they last one year and they are becoming too small, I’ll buy a new pair. I just want to be able to wear it now.

I got some of those in XL and can’t even get them over my forearms. I’m leaning toward getting some rehband’s (I have the original blue knee sleeves from rehband and love them). I’ve looked at the Tommy Kono’s but don’t like that they only make 3 sizes and don’t have different models for elbows and knees.

UPDATE!

Ok I received them today, fast shipping to Canada! I made an error, I ordered a quantity of 2 and I got 2 pairs of sleeves :slight_smile: I was thinking I had to buy them individually. Not a big deal I got a spare.

I ordered the small size and it fit perfectly, I would say the sleeves could have been tighter.

My arms measures flexed:

Forearms, 14.5
Elbow: 12.5
Peak Biceps: 18

Today was chest and Bi, perfect to try them. My left elbow did not hurt at all while flat and Incline benching, no problem with Fly at all. When doing seated Incline two arms DB curls, I usually had pain in my left elbow. Whit the sleeves, almost no pain at all.

At the end of the session, I was beginning to have some pain in my left elbow but strangely, as soon as I removed the sleeves, no pain at all, elbow feels kind of fresh. I’ll continue to put ice on it in the evening until they are 100% ok.

A trick to put them on:

Fold it in 2, so half of the rubber is exposed, pull it to your elbow and flip the remaining folded band to your bicep.

I should has bought that before!

Good shit man, I just ordered the XXXL’s yesterday…