Just Bought a Pull Up Bar, How Can I Improve?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]mketodd wrote:

[quote]tveddy wrote:
do these
[/quote]

psssh.

2 much body movement, use strict form and do the clap pullups o.O
he is cheating his self…
hahahaha, joking…[/quote]

I failed a rep on those once…[/quote]
sorry to hear that

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

Awesome! Did you come out of it looking like the last contestant in the “All Steroids Olympics”?

And on a related note, they used to let me teach children. When they talked back in practice I gave them the choice of a mile after practice or 10 behind the head clap pushups. On the first one they would faceplant and I would tell them they had 9 more.

[quote]tveddy wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

Awesome! Did you come out of it looking like the last contestant in the “All Steroids Olympics”?

And on a related note, they used to let me teach children. When they talked back in practice I gave them the choice of a mile after practice or 10 behind the head clap pushups. On the first one they would faceplant and I would tell them they had 9 more. [/quote]
Emphasis on the “used to”. lulz

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Emphasis on the “used to”. lulz[/quote]

Yeah, my bro is a teacher and he always tells me “I cant believe they used to let you teach kids” In reality I quit to go back to school.

[quote]tveddy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Emphasis on the “used to”. lulz[/quote]

Yeah, my bro is a teacher and he always tells me “I cant believe they used to let you teach kids” In reality I quit to go back to school. [/quote]
What did you got to school for?

edit- Never mind. I checked out your profile.

I almost forgot to post something of value.

OP I would suggest getting a weight belt and trying some weighted pullups. Also get some minibands and then you can do assisted pullups. I start with weighted and then move to Body weight and then to miniband assisted pullups. Usually good for about 12 sets like that.

[quote]tveddy wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[/quote]

I fell suprisingly far and landed flat on my back. My friend laughed at me.

Remember;, chest up, shoulders back, shoulders down. Do that and your middle traps should be activated, and hence will help with working the lats.

tweet

If your going to do them that frequently then you should not be going for max rep sets. If your trying to increase your endurance I think every other day would be better than every day. Unless you do 3 or 4 days on then 2 or 3 off.

There’s also no point in doing them that frequently if your cheating so make sure every rep you do you feel. Practice different speeds. Start from the bottom hang for a second then explode to the top as fast as you can only 2 or 3 reps but extremely explosive while feeling the muscles throughout the complete range. Next set you can pause at the top go down slow then fast back up 2 or 3 reps. Last set can be nice and smooth 2 or 3 reps 5 if your feeling that good but not much more. Switch grips every day. Do the 3 sets within 2 minutes. Remember concentrate as hard as you can on how each muscle feels, since that’s what you are really exercising.

If your going for endurance just go for a new total every few workouts. So 30 total reps 3 sets of 10 today, then next week 40 reps set of 12,8,7,5,5,3 until you get to where you want to get to.

Also grip strength is important Some sets completely focus on squeezing the bar throughout the total set.

BROTHER BROTHER BROTHER!!!

Firstly nice question and to tell you
there are many ways to start being stronger gradually, that you have to test for yourself.

One sure way is trying it throughout the day, a method called Greasing the Groove.

and apart from that in nutshell I can give you a reference do some research on him and read more over net about how many ways are there and try them all and TEST!

ACCEPT THE BEST DISCARD THE REST - BRUCE LEE

I remember when I was 15, I made my biggest jump in pull-up’s from literally just doing them whenever I saw something I could do them on.

Call it old fashioned, but I would just jump up on anything that could support me and do a set to failure, probably somewhere from 5-10 times/day.

I didn’t add this into my regular weight training, just supplemental.

I went from being able to to do around 8 or so good reps to multiple sets of 20.

Frequency is key IMO.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Frequency is key IMO. [/quote]
I took this advice and went from being able to barely do a clean few reps with BW and doing assisted pullups to now being able to do a set of 10 and just the other day hit a weighted chin up with BW+60lbs.

Frequency…

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Frequency is key IMO. [/quote]
I took this advice and went from being able to barely do a clean few reps with BW and doing assisted pullups to now being able to do a set of 10 and just the other day hit a weighted chin up with BW+60lbs.

Frequency…[/quote]

Or is the key adding weight to the pullups?

When adding weight to pull ups, what sort of rep ranges are you using?

(hypertrophy goal)

[quote]NoWheyOut wrote:
When adding weight to pull ups, what sort of rep ranges are you using?

(hypertrophy goal)[/quote]

I do a reverse pyramid sortof. After warmup put on something I can do 2-3 times, then drop to something I can do 4-6 times then drop to BW. Trying for a total of 12-15 sets. I do that once a week. Then I do a high volume/BW workout once a week, finishing with band assisted.

how about everyone else?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]tveddy wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[/quote]

I fell suprisingly far and landed flat on my back. My friend laughed at me.[/quote]

hahahahahahaha

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]mketodd wrote:
Chad Waterbury has a few interesting article on pullups that id def. Reccomend reading.[/quote]
x2[/quote]

I would recommend Isometric pullups if your struggling OP. I’ve had good results with Iso holds at the top.

Wrap a towel around the bar. Towel pullups are amazing…