Just Another Rant

Is it me or do attempts by or elected officials to protect us from ourselves seem idiotic and self-serving? When I look at the FDA’s own recent statistics on the dangers of acetaminophen, I wonder why they haven’t done something about other “problem drugs”.

Legislative bans of ephedrine and classifying anabolic steroids as controlled substances are intended only to provide them with opportunities to gain time in the spotlight and waste our hard earned tax dollars. Check out these FDA statistics related to acetaminophen. Heard any concerned legislators talking about restricting the sale of it lately?

• Acetaminophen causes nearly 50 percent of all cases of acute liver failure - four times that caused by all prescription drugs combined.

• Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause of calls to poison control centers (more than 100,000 per year) and accounts for more than 56,000 emergency room visits, 2,600 hospitalizations and about 450 deaths each year.

• Fifteen percent of accidental overdose cases involve the simultaneous use of more than one product containing acetaminophen.

• In more than 60 percent of accidental overdoses, the patient is using a narcotic that contains acetaminophen.

Looks like someone at Tylenol somehow forgot to get that big brown envelope to it’s happy destination.

[quote]hollawk wrote:
Is it me or do attempts by or elected officials to protect us from ourselves seem idiotic and self-serving?
[/quote]

Yes. It’s not about our safety, only about their money and status. In reality, they don’t give a shit about you. It’s not hard to see that.