T Nation

Just Another Program

Height: 6’3"
Weight: 205, relatively lean

Equipment: Barbell + Pull Up Bar (Training At Home)
NO Power Rack Available

Essentially my goals with this program are increased strength and size. I have no power rack so most recommended routines go out the window as I cannot back squat. I’m eating for size, and making progress, just thought I’d throw this out there to see if my results can be… optimised.
Most ramping exercises move from around ten reps to two or three reps.

Monday:
5x5 Weighted Pull Ups
5x Zercher Squats (Ramping from ~10 RM to ~2RM max, stopping short of failure on all lifts)
4x5 Weighted Press Ups
4x Bent Over Rows (Ramping)
3x8 Close Grip Floor Press

Wednesday:
4x Overhead Press (Ramping)
5x Deadlift
2x8-12 Split Squat
3x8 Barbell Curl

Friday: Same as Monday

Saturday: Same As Wednesday, though Split Squats are removed and Deadlifts are lighter.

Currently, my lower back is able to cope with the routine despite all the squats and deadlifts. I have been doing this for about 5 weeks and will continue with it making adjustments as needed until I need to change this routine as weights rise.

Max Zercher Squat: 120kgx3
Max Deadlift: 142.5 kgx5 (All the weight I have, will be purchasing more soon)

Goal is primarily strength, I need added size for rugby when I play next year again. Other qualities (Power/Conditioning) will be trained at a later date, but as I will not be playing for another 10 months, strength is the primary goal of this routine.

Any feedback is appreciated.

You might want to work cleans into your routine. they’ll help build explosiveness, and a strong clean will increase the amount of weight you can get up into position for a front/Zercher squat. Maybe sub out bent over rows. All in all, the routine looks pretty good, considering the equipment limitations. You might want to check out http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/operation_barbell_10_money_exercises for some more ideas on exercises which only require a barbell.

Buy two saw-horses. Nail bits of wood so that they overshoot the top lip roughly four-five inches apart on each saw horse. You just made yourself a shitty little squat rack. Congratulations. Now you can back/front squat.

Try not to break it.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
You might want to work cleans into your routine. they’ll help build explosiveness, and a strong clean will increase the amount of weight you can get up into position for a front/Zercher squat. Maybe sub out bent over rows.

All in all, the routine looks pretty good, considering the equipment limitations. You might want to check out http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/operation_barbell_10_money_exercises for some more ideas on exercises which only require a barbell.[/quote]

I actually initially did cleans on squat day. However I injured my wrists a number of weeks ago doing them. The wrists are still slightly sore, and I cannot do the barbell curls or pullups with the pull up bar (I throw a towel over the bar, allowing the wrists to move, alleviating pain) at the moment due the pain in my wrists. It’s likely the my form is the problem and I’ll work them back in once my wrists recover.

Thanks for the input.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Buy two saw-horses. Nail bits of wood so that they overshoot the top lip roughly four-five inches apart on each saw horse. You just made yourself a shitty little squat rack. Congratulations. Now you can back/front squat.

Try not to break it.

[/quote]

Nice suggestion. I have some wood lying around, I could make a few maybe, though getting them high enough may be a problem. Have you used them? How much weight?
Cheers,