T Nation

Just Another Log

So I’ve been a lurker here for as long as I can remember - probably about 7-8 years I think. Well, I figure it’s about time for me to start up a training log.

I’m a kines student, and have been training off and on for about…3 years or so? Up until this year though, it’s been severely limited by an 8ish month volleyball season, probably about 10 hours a week on average including games, plus travel and stuff. Due to way too many nagging injuries, I could never really focus whole heartedly on lifting and was too busy to really dial in my nutrition and make any serious gains with volleyball. Excuses, excuses. Pretty much, I’ve been a little bitch and haven’t had the discipline - until now.

The basics:
21 YO
6’2", 180lbs right now but my natural weight is about 165, and I’ve been as high as 200lbs. Broke my ankle playing volleyball last year and dropped down to my natural weight, don’t know what happened but I lost all motivation for physical activity. Laziness, I guess.

My lifts:
Unsure of what my true maxes are right now, but before my injury they were…
Bench: 165x5
Squat: 245x5 for 3 sets (ass to grass)
Deadlift: 335x5
Power clean: 70kg x3
Military press: 125x5
Pullups: BW+45x3

More to come, don’t wanna put it all in one post.

Inuries, issues, etc.:
After playing volleyball for at least 6 months a year for about 8-9 years, my body is a WRECK. Say what you want about volleyball, but all the jumping and swinging can take a major toll on the body. So I have more than a few injuries to deal with.

My ankle is definitely priority number 1 right now - mobility is terrible. I could go deep on squats with pretty decent form up until my ankle injury, but ever since…not so much, to put it lightly. Pretty bad lower back rounding at the bottom now.

So, being the idiot that I am, tried to fight through it and I think I fucked up my left hip pretty bad squatting deep with shitty form.

Right shoulder also sometimes gives me issues, but is 10x better since volleyball ended.

I will probably go back for some therapy during the summer and work on getting my hip and ankle fixed, if they doesn’t improve before then. I feel confident I can fix my shoulder myself, but we’ll see what happens.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with my injuries they would be greatly appreciated

THE PLAN:
Consistency is number one on my list. No excuses, no laziness, no pussying out. It’s time for me to shit or get off the pot.

I’m going to start out following Starting Strength for at least a little while to see how quickly I can get back up to where I am, and try to milk it for all the gains I can, pain free. I’ll be following the standard template, which is:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Clean

Alternating 3 times a week. As I’m a student, I’ll be going Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday so I have time to study during the week.

For a warmup, I’ll be doing some mobility/activation work from Magnificent Mobility, followed by some foam rolling.

For squats, due to my limited ankle mobility, I’m gonna put a 5lb plate under both of my heels so I can hit depth without any back rounding, until I get some ankle mobility back.

DIET:
Lots of food. I’ll be shooting for around 4500 calories a day to start off, I’ve always had a pretty quick metabolism so we’ll see how that takes me. Obviously, will increase when needed. Won’t have any issues taking this many calories in, or at least I haven’t before. Too lazy to put up a sample diet, but I’ll probably use this to start tracking my daily calories, so you will see soon enough.

SUPPLEMENTS:
Fish oil, Low-Carb MD, whey, Surge Recovery, curcumin, vitamin D, creatine. Pretty much the basics.

I’ll weigh in and post a starting weight tomorrow sometime. I’m gonna try to update this log every day with diet, workouts, etc.

GOALS:
Gonna start off simple: 405/315/225 dead/squat/bench. Gonna try to hit these by…let’s say…Canada Day, July 1st, 2010 - about 14 weeks away. At a bodyweight of ~210? 30 lbs from now, which means I’ll have to gain 2lbs per week - on average. I’m not afraid to get fat, as long as my lifts are going up I’m happy so I might have to reevaluate my weight goal. Right now, I just wanna get my lifts up, cuz I know at my level, strength first, size will follow.

That’s it for now. Stoked to get this underway, and I refuse to fail.

Well, just my luck. Two days after this post I wound up with the beginnings of strep throat. Had a fever and sore throat for about a week now, which means I haven’t been able to go to the gym, and eating has been painful as shit. Once this goes away though, I’m gonna go hard to make up for a week of recovery. Fucking brutal though