T Nation

Just 3

OK need some opinions.

I think I have finally made fun of my dad enough that he is finally going to start working out. Didnt want to push it on him so I waited till he came to me while dropping little hints all the time about how he was becoming skinny fat and such. I would make trukey hinting at the waddle and such :)LOL.

He used to work out quite a lot when he was younger and such, but has recently dieted off some excess fat and is continuing to do so and doing nothing but burning the little muscle his 55 year old butt has left. LOL Trying to convince him at his age he needs to keep as much has he can.

Anyway he came to me a day or so ago and asked me for 3 and only 3 excersizes. He was hinting at curls and sit ups, and maybe some bench. I just had to laugh.

So what I told him the first three that came to mind. Squats, bench, and chins.

My question is is this the three you would chose if you had someone that you would only be able to assist once or twice before not seeing them for an extended period.

I figure These would give a good banmg for the buck. Only one I was doubting was maybe swapping deads for squats, but figure squats done in full ROM would be easier to teach by making him go to a LOW box (12" OR LESS) and nail form.

Let me know any opinions are welcome.

Hopefully if he will stick to this he will want to progress further but for now just 3.

Thanks,
Phill

yep - they’d be my 3.

slight hijack - how is your dad’s diet? my dad recently got diagnosed with angina (spelling?). He asked me to recommend some foods for him. I suggested oats, flaxseeds, fish (salmon), fruits and veg. I also suggested cutting out as much saturated fat and cholesterol as possible, whilst upping protein intake. Any suggestions?

I would recommend a pyramid of Pullups (or chinups), pushups (or dips), and crunches (or hanging knee raises). Start him out with 1 pullup, followed by 2 pushups, followed by 3 crunches. Continue to add 1 more pullup until he maxxes out (kinda). Multiply the pullup number by 2 to get the number of pushups and by 3 to get the number of crunches he needs to do. This is a super set. For leg work, toss in a 10 to 20 minute jog. This should get him started real well, it helped me to continue exercising my uppderbody when I hurt my wrist. Here’s what a typical routine will look like if he’s just starting out:
Pullup/Pushup/Crunches
1 / 2/ 3
2 / 4 / 6
3 / 6 / 9
4 / 8 / 12
5 / 10 / 15
4 / 8 / 12
3 / 6 / 9
2 /4 / 6
1 /2 / 3

Try it, I think he’ll love it. If he can go higher, do it; If he can only get to 2 or 3 then that’s fine too. Just remember to work him up the pyramid and then back down. Hope this helps!!

Be careful…

Some older people at the gym I go to did squats below 90 deg. They went heavy for them and ended up with hemorrhoids.

[quote]vicencio98 wrote:
I would recommend a pyramid of Pullups (or chinups), pushups (or dips), and crunches (or hanging knee raises). Start him out with 1 pullup, followed by 2 pushups, followed by 3 crunches. Continue to add 1 more pullup until he maxxes out (kinda). Multiply the pullup number by 2 to get the number of pushups and by 3 to get the number of crunches he needs to do. This is a super set. For leg work, toss in a 10 to 20 minute jog. This should get him started real well, it helped me to continue exercising my uppderbody when I hurt my wrist. Here’s what a typical routine will look like if he’s just starting out:
Pullup/Pushup/Crunches
1 / 2/ 3
2 / 4 / 6
3 / 6 / 9
4 / 8 / 12
5 / 10 / 15
4 / 8 / 12
3 / 6 / 9
2 /4 / 6
1 /2 / 3

Try it, I think he’ll love it. If he can go higher, do it; If he can only get to 2 or 3 then that’s fine too. Just remember to work him up the pyramid and then back down. Hope this helps!![/quote]

Can I ask why? What is your rationale behind this aside from that he’ll “like it”?

RIT Jared

Good start. How about alternating cycles:

1)Bench,Row,Squat 

2)Dip,Pullup, Dead

3Overhead press,1 arm Row,Lunge

Change every 3 weeks…
ETC

Get him to do abs in front of the TV EDT style. Have him do reverse crunches 1 at a time for just 5 minutes,even if he does just 1 every 60 seconds the first time.Then have him do 2 every 60 seconds. And so on til he is doing 40 sec of crunches and 20 sec of rest for 5 sets. Easy start,no warm up ,no big deal! good luck,z

Heh, start him slow and easy no matter what you pick, so that he’ll keep doing it long enough to get hooked on it…

Thanks all.

Oh I would love to do cycles to include deads and such but at this point he want 3 and that is it.

Slow. Yes that is the plan making him drop any and all ego at the door and do it slow. Just aim to progress every w/o.

If I can get him to eat enough to fuel this he should have a fairly good rebound muscle memory effect I hope. For years he ran a Keg route and was alway a fairly large/strong fellow.

Diet is Much better. Still not perfect by anymeans but much better than the typical american. But he is just not eating enough now. He is addicted to losing and still sees himself as fat.

Once again thanks all.
I’ll lket yopu know if he makes any major progress.
Phill

Squat, Bench, Row

From my experience “training” friends who just were not that commited, and also giving my father advice. It makes much more sense to give them an easy program. Besides the fact that your dad is 55, it is already obvious that he is not really excited about working hard. He is not going to make great gains doing squats, at least not for a long time. On the other hand, if he is like most people, the discomfort of learning squats, or deads, will make him quit altogether. Now, while my immediate reaction to that, and I suspect some other people here share this, is to say, “if he’s gonna be a pussy, fuck him–it’s not worth the time”, but even training like a bitch can improve an old person’s quality of life a lot, and if he gets in the habit of going to the gym, he is not gonna get weaker, and he may start to get more into.

Therefore, I would have him do, incline press, lat pulldowns (with varied grips–an easy way to add to the number of exercises), and leg presses.

Deadlift, Overhead Press, Chin

If you have him clean from the floor into an overhead press or push press - that’s three exercises (deadlift, power clean, military press) all in one.
Then do bench and squat, bringing to a grand total of three. The only thing missing then is a good pulling exercise, row or chinup. Can’t stress how important it is to stay light. Even relatively light squatting and DLing could be murder on his lower back and legs. I’d say chinning would also be difficult. I think he’s being a bit stubborn with just doing three because if he upped it to five, you could have every single base covered.

Phill that’s great news!

I’m inclined to agree with floobadoo tho. It’s really a double-edged sword ie. we have to make it “easy” enough to keep people doing it, yet it must still somehow produce results otherwise they’ll quit.

After initiating a program, adherence is your biggest challenge. If he loathes one exercise, you may have to substitute crunches for it. Don’t forget to use positive reinforcement too. Psychology is an often neglected aspect of dealing with newbies.

BTW-I’d keep flat bench instead of incline.

Cheers

[quote]floobadoo wrote:
From my experience “training” friends who just were not that commited, and also giving my father advice. It makes much more sense to give them an easy program. Besides the fact that your dad is 55, it is already obvious that he is not really excited about working hard. He is not going to make great gains doing squats, at least not for a long time. On the other hand, if he is like most people, the discomfort of learning squats, or deads, will make him quit altogether. [/quote]