T Nation

Junk Food vs No Food

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:
That was my only post in the thread. I don’t have a horse in this race, I’d just rather see references and evidence than any talk about who is more “qualified” to speak on the matter. [/quote]

Ya know, I realized that comment was a cheap shot you didn’t deserve after hitting submit… but since my posts take so long to show I figured I’d just suck it up and admit it was outta line. My bad.

I’d rather see ANY (intelligent) discussion than nothing but vague answers bolstered by credentials only tangentially related to the subject.

If that means certain points need to be supported by saying, “Authority ABC (CT, Meadows, Yates, whomever) tend to feel XYZ is the best approach”, that’s fine. If that means posting an article or training clip as evidence, that’s cool too.[/quote]

I think we’re in agreement 100% on this, just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was taking sides. [/quote]

What you said before wasn’t wrong. As I said myself, degrees in nutrition and dietetic internships don’t go into detail about the practical application of sports nutrition, even if some of the courses are titled, as in my case, “Sports Nutrition”, “Exercise Physiology”, “Energy and Exercise”, “Weight Control”, and “Nutrition Counseling”. Sure some of my work showed me how to dial in with specific macronutrient and caloric prescriptions for vasious conditions (and micronutrient prescriptions for things like hypertension and renal disease) and went into A LOT of scientific and practical detail about research and nutrition metabolism and even foodservice and food science and technology, but it taught ZILCH about getting shredded to the bone and contest condition.

This is why on one hand I understand that "reading articles isn’t the same as getting a degree. However, on the other hand, one CAN design a diet for themselves after reading high quality articles and books and applying the information to themselves and others. Some of the most shredded and massive BB’ers in history–Dorian, Lee Haney, Gaspari, Arnold, and a whole slew of other greats–NEVER had a guru! All they had were each other, some books, and some articles, and their own observations. You know, stuff like this, “Bro, I ate 400 grams of carbs a day for the past few days; how do I look?” “Fat.” “OK, I think I’ll take them down a notch.” “Damn, looking flat; don’t feel too good. Time to up the carbs.” That’s how they handled stuff! None except the biggest nerds like Dan Duchaine–a man who I kinda respect in soem ways, but am still unsure of why he got so much fame-- felt the need to visit the UCLA library to shuffle through scientific studies to get where they were. I’d bet dollars to doughnuts none of them gave a rat’s ass about discussing how shit is metaboized, “insulin spikes”, mTor, “pulsing”, tri-phasic blitzkriegs, or whatever other geek shit so commonly discussed these days!

There are some gurus runnign around the 'net and at geek fests today with book plenty of book smarts (and in some cases good practical skills to go with it) that take pride in bashing others because those others don’t bury themselves in science and sometimes fumble with their explanations of things related to nutrition science. I can understand no one wants to hear people spewing nutritional and scientific fallacies, but some of these oh-so-flawed bro-science guys they disdain are FAR MORE jacked than these pompous nerds! Some of the most revered gurus (whose names I don’t care to mention) have actually made their M.O. to be just shuffling through Pub Med and critiquing studies. How useful for us. That’s really gonna help me when I make a groundbreaking decision of going low-carb/keto versus carb cyclign when it’s time to cut down or to eat enough to get big!

And I didn’t mean to instigate anythign with X. It’s just like this: if everything and everyone is so damn flawed–you know, nearly everyone sucks at this and is just a skinny pansy if they aren’t a drugged up and/or chubby or fat 250 and no one knows what they’re doing–then what do you have to offer? What do you recommend? I asked what’s recommended and this was construed as “arguing”. Also, a diet is considered perfect when it’s giving you the result you want. I highly doubt guys frustrated wirth their results and staying the same size or not losing fat are bragging how perfect they are.

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Hey now! Be easy on the big Professor.

He actually calmed down quite a bit after his performance at Biotest HQ was shown in full color HD here.[/quote]

I’m supposed to be ashamed of something? I got to go to Colorado…by myself…and sleep in a hotel for free and train with CT. I loved it. Naw, I’m not exactly ashamed of my “performance in HD”.

I am amused by this though.[/quote]

Ashamed? No way. It was an awesome opportunity to learn from and train with a good coach. You were very lucky indeed, I wish I had the chance.

Best moment on video though was the part where CT sat you down and asked you to use your knowledge and experience to help people here on the boards rather than bashing everbody down. [/quote]

WTf? I have been on these boards helping out with advice and more basic medical info for over 10 years. I am not even sure what to think of this post. You wold think all I am doing is insulting people when truth is, many of you spend more time insulting me.

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

He actually calmed down quite a bit after his performance at Biotest HQ was shown in full color HD here.[/quote]

I’m supposed to be ashamed of something? I got to go to Colorado…by myself…and sleep in a hotel for free and train with CT. I loved it. Naw, I’m not exactly ashamed of my “performance in HD”.

Ashamed? No way. It was an awesome opportunity to learn from and train with a good coach. You were very lucky indeed, I wish I had the chance.

Best moment on video though was the part where CT sat you down and asked you to use your knowledge and experience to help people here on the boards rather than bashing everbody down. [/quote]

WTf? I have been on these boards helping out with advice and more basic medical info for over 10 years. I am not even sure what to think of this post. You wold think all I am doing is insulting people when truth is, many of you spend more time insulting me.[/quote]

I suppose the term “help” could be relative, depending on your view point. But again, if you were such an abundance of helpful advice, surely CT would have not just made up a reason to sit you down and tell you this?

[quote]Myosin wrote:
I suppose the term “help” could be relative, depending on your view point. But again, if you were such an abundance of helpful advice, surely CT would have not just made up a reason to sit you down and tell you this?[/quote]

Dude what is your fucking problem?

The guy has been posting here for a decade helping people out.

Who gives a shit if you don’t like his tone?

It’s not even real life where he is shouting in your face or something.

It’s words on a computer.

Again, he has been helping people for a decade FOR FREE.

People are so pathetic.

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

WTf? I have been on these boards helping out with advice and more basic medical info for over 10 years. I am not even sure what to think of this post. You wold think all I am doing is insulting people when truth is, many of you spend more time insulting me.[/quote]

I suppose the term “help” could be relative, depending on your view point. But again, if you were such an abundance of helpful advice, surely CT would have not just made up a reason to sit you down and tell you this?[/quote]

LOL. He flew me to Colorado. Why would he do that for someone who was only mildly helping on this website?

Have you been invited?

No?

Then…could you tell me why I would follow the advice of the guy they didn’t fly up there?

[quote]Myosin wrote:

Link to the video? I found several; just wondering which one.

I’ve personally found PX’s advice helpful. I’m just curious what CT actually said.

nevermind

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

I’m just curious what CT actually said.[/quote]

X can tell you he was there.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

Dude what is your fucking problem?

The guy has been posting here for a decade helping people out.

Who gives a shit if you don’t like his tone?

It’s not even real life where he is shouting in your face or something.

It’s words on a computer.

Again, he has been helping people for a decade FOR FREE.

People are so pathetic.[/quote]

What advice has he given that helps you most?

[quote]Myosin wrote:
nevermind[/quote]

You have to wonder why someone would go through all of this trouble yet drop it the moment people question the action. It was important enough for you to bring up here. Why back down now?

Entertaining thread lol

LOL. He flew me to Colorado. Why would he do that for someone who was only mildly helping on this website?
[/quote]
They flew out quite a few people that never really posted any advice on this forum FWIW.

[quote]
Then…could you tell me why I would follow the advice of the guy they didn’t fly up there?[/quote]

Why would you follow the advice of the guy they didn’t fly up there? Ummm maybe because there are about 7 billion people in the world and roughly 6,999,999,980 of them weren’t flown out to Colorado to train. I’m sure someone in that group of people still knows what they’re talking about. lol

Classic thread.

But back on track…

No food vs junk food… If you’re in a bind junk food is fine. You can get healthier options at most fast food places and one meal won’t kill your progress. Don’t go powering through snickers bars and Ben n Jerry’s all day but hitting up a fast food spot won’t wreck your physique… Just don’t make it a habit.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Entertaining thread lol

[/quote]
They flew out quite a few people that never really posted any advice on this forum FWIW.

[quote]
Then…could you tell me why I would follow the advice of the guy they didn’t fly up there?[/quote]

Why would you follow the advice of the guy they didn’t fly up there? Ummm maybe because there are about 7 billion people in the world and roughly 6,999,999,980 of them weren’t flown out to Colorado to train. I’m sure someone in that group of people still knows what they’re talking about. lol

Classic thread.[/quote]

I meant advice on posting on this forum, not advice for all things in general.

I do think it is already clear some of you act like this as if its your job. Unless you have some point to make about the ideas posted here, why join in just to add to it?

I didn’t call myosin out.

Well, I ate some “junk” yesterday (pizza). Not because I was gonna miss a meal, but because our budget is tight and I didn’t want to turn down free calories.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Entertaining thread lol

[/quote]

[quote]

Classic thread.[/quote]

I meant advice on posting on this forum, not advice for all things in general.

I do think it is already clear some of you act like this as if its your job. Unless you have some point to make about the ideas posted here, why join in just to add to it?

I didn’t call myosin out. [/quote]

So people should take your advice over anyone elses on this forum becasue you got invited to train at Biotest HQ and they didn’t? Do you realize how childish this sounds? lol.

Junk food over no food if your bulking/gaining, one day of a little junk won’t kill you. No food over junk food if your stricly dieting, IMO.

In all honesty though, how often is someone in a position where there ONLY option is a candy machine? Especially if your following a strict diet, you shouldn’t ever be in that position.

Cannibalism > no food

Calm down guys.

Any intelligent reader can filter out who actually knows what. I would say Stu is pretty qualified for talking about all aspects of diet and training, but for everyone else, there’s things you listen to, and there’s things you don’t.

Just from a tone standpoint, and from the oft-repeated “only listen to people bigger than you”, Professor X comes across as authoritative on everything… at least on first exposure. But as has been brought up many many times (since like 2004, if I remember what I’ve seen in the archives), dieting isn’t really one of those things.

As far as some training advice, for the importance of eating more to gain – especially for new guys who haven’t figured that out yet – and the importance of intensity, etc., his advice is good.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

So people should take your advice over anyone elses on this forum becasue you got invited to train at Biotest HQ and they didn’t? Do you realize how childish this sounds? lol. [/quote]

Didn’t say that or imply it. I said advice with regards to him telling me how to post. If my posting style was so horrible that it needed his help, I am sure no one would have bothered.

Turning that into anything else is just ridiculous.

LOL at finally getting around to what the thread is about.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Calm down guys.

Any intelligent reader can filter out who actually knows what. I would say Stu is pretty qualified for talking about all aspects of diet and training, but for everyone else, there’s things you listen to, and there’s things you don’t.

Just from a tone standpoint, and from the oft-repeated “only listen to people bigger than you”, Professor X comes across as authoritative on everything… at least on first exposure. But as has been brought up many many times (since like 2004, if I remember what I’ve seen in the archives), dieting isn’t really one of those things.

As far as some training advice, for the importance of eating more to gain – especially for new guys who haven’t figured that out yet – and the importance of intensity, etc., his advice is good.[/quote]

I am leaner right now than I have been in a long time, close to where I was in that last picture posted. I lost about 5" off my waist in about 2.5 months and posted the pictures the entire way. LOL at not knowing about dieting at all.

I have not experienced CONTEST DIETING…and rarely if ever speak on that specific topic so it means little.

I am leaner right now than I have been in a long time, close to where I was in that last picture posted. I lost about 5" off my waist in about 2.5 months and posted the pictures the entire way. LOL at not knowing about dieting at all.

I have not experienced CONTEST DIETING…and rarely if ever speak on that specific topic so it means little.[/quote]

Sorry for not being entirely clear. Yeah, having seen before and afters, you’re doing well.

But someone like SSC I think is more qualified in discussing issues of dieting, in general. No offense.