T Nation

Junk Food vs No Food

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

So people should take your advice over anyone elses on this forum becasue you got invited to train at Biotest HQ and they didn’t? Do you realize how childish this sounds? lol. [/quote]

Didn’t say that or imply it. I said advice with regards to him telling me how to post. If my posting style was so horrible that it needed his help, I am sure no one would have bothered.

Turning that into anything else is just ridiculous.

LOL at finally getting around to what the thread is about.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Calm down guys.

Any intelligent reader can filter out who actually knows what. I would say Stu is pretty qualified for talking about all aspects of diet and training, but for everyone else, there’s things you listen to, and there’s things you don’t.

Just from a tone standpoint, and from the oft-repeated “only listen to people bigger than you”, Professor X comes across as authoritative on everything… at least on first exposure. But as has been brought up many many times (since like 2004, if I remember what I’ve seen in the archives), dieting isn’t really one of those things.

As far as some training advice, for the importance of eating more to gain – especially for new guys who haven’t figured that out yet – and the importance of intensity, etc., his advice is good.[/quote]

I am leaner right now than I have been in a long time, close to where I was in that last picture posted. I lost about 5" off my waist in about 2.5 months and posted the pictures the entire way. LOL at not knowing about dieting at all.

I have not experienced CONTEST DIETING…and rarely if ever speak on that specific topic so it means little.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I am leaner right now than I have been in a long time, close to where I was in that last picture posted. I lost about 5" off my waist in about 2.5 months and posted the pictures the entire way. LOL at not knowing about dieting at all.

I have not experienced CONTEST DIETING…and rarely if ever speak on that specific topic so it means little.[/quote]

Sorry for not being entirely clear. Yeah, having seen before and afters, you’re doing well.

But someone like SSC I think is more qualified in discussing issues of dieting, in general. No offense.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

As far as some training advice, for the importance of eating more to gain – especially for new guys who haven’t figured that out yet – and the importance of intensity, etc., his advice is good.

No need to be condescending, any of you.[/quote]

What advice of his regarding intensity and nutrition do you find useful? Can you give a LITTLE more detail besides “eating enough” or “eating big” and trying hard? I want to get bigger, so can you provide some stuff?

You’re not condescending.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I have not experienced CONTEST DIETING…and rarely if ever speak on that specific topic so it means little.[/quote]

Sorry for not being entirely clear. Yeah, having seen before and afters, you’re doing well.

But someone like SSC I think is more qualified in discussing issues of dieting, in general. No offense.[/quote]

But that is your prerogative who you choose to listen to and no one has said otherwise…but this idea that you have to have competed to speak on any aspect of dieting is bullshit. I don’t speak on shit I know nothing about so it amazes me that it comes up so often.

If You want to compete in a contest, talk to someone who competed.

Also talk to all of those huge fuckers in the gym who may not have.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

As far as some training advice, for the importance of eating more to gain – especially for new guys who haven’t figured that out yet – and the importance of intensity, etc., his advice is good.

What advice of his regarding intensity and nutrition do you find useful? Can you give a LITTLE more detail besides “eating enough” or “eating big” and trying hard? I want to get bigger, so can you provide some stuff?

[/quote]

Are some of you serious with this?

That thread is 46 pages long and lasted for 6 years.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

But someone like SSC I think is more qualified in discussing issues of dieting, in general. No offense.[/quote]

Here’s who’s qualified to give advice: someone who can give some concrete, basic guidelines on getting more MUSCULAR (could entail SOME fat gain) or getting leaner (eg, x calories per pound, x grams per pound, x percentage of diet, three 30-min sessions of cardio per week, and so on) and then being able to manipulate things from there, as the person progresses or regresses and then finally being able to get themselves or a person to their goals. Stuff like “cut back on the carbs”, “eat more”, or “eat less”, or “up the cardio” are not bad, but are so vague that no one knows what to do witht it.

Edit: I went back through X’s advice thread. I take some of what I say back. He did give DETAILED advice from time to time.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]

I guess you saw the post before I dropped that line. I reread it and realized how hypocritical that line sounded, especially with the context of the rest of the post. My bad.

And no, I can’t give you much more detail than that. But I can say with all the exposure most people get with these various online fitness consultant people (the ones who advertise through torrent sites and colleghumor etc.), nobody’s talking much about the importance of intensity and eating enough – just the basic idea of “if you’re working hard in the gym and you’re not growing, start eating more and then go from there”. Prof X has been vocal about that.

For you, is there much he can say to advise you? Probably not. For me and a lot of people I know (I work in the software industry, where pretty much everyone is untrained), there are a few things.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

But that is your prerogative who you choose to listen to and no one has said otherwise…but this idea that you have to have competed to speak on any aspect of dieting is bullshit. I don’t speak on shit I know nothing about so it amazes me that it comes up so often.

Also talk to all of those huge fuckers in the gym who may not have.[/quote]

Yes, but from what you have written you prefer to lose fat by gauging what you are eating and adjusting week to week if necessary with no use of things like fitday. Now, no offense but, you carry a lot of fat little changes to diet will have a greater effect. That method may work for you or some at the beginning but, getting lean takes a little more work and I am not talking about contest lean.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]

I guess you saw the post before I dropped that line. I reread it and realized how hypocritical that line sounded, especially with the context of the rest of the post. My bad.

And no, I can’t give you much more detail than that. But I can say with all the exposure most people get with these various online fitness consultant people (the ones who advertise through torrent sites and colleghumor etc.), nobody’s talking much about the importance of intensity and eating enough – just the basic idea of “if you’re working hard in the gym and you’re not growing, start eating more and then go from there”. Prof X has been vocal about that.

For you, is there much he can say to advise you? Probably not. For me and a lot of people I know (I work in the software industry, where pretty much everyone is untrained), there are a few things.[/quote]

I see what you’re saying. And as you can see from my edit above, I realized he has given some detailed advice.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
While training need not be so damn complicated (I can’t think of any great bodybuilder who did complicated stuff), a person who gives good advice can deal with a specific situation. “Trying hard” is implied! (What aspiring lifter doesn’t?!)

So for example, if I go to someone asking for advice on how to get my chest bigger when I’m arms and shoulders dominant, “intensity” doesn’t help me. Someoen with decent advice would advise ditching the flat barbell bench press and expermimenting with pre-exhaust, incline press, dumbbell bench presses, and flyes. [/quote]

Right, at a certain point, the advice changes.

But if you’re talking about a guy that says “I’ve been skinny my whole life, and I just want to be bigger” or “I’ve been working out for 5 years, and I haven’t seen much results, which supplements should I use”… his advice sets them down the right path.

And, frankly, intensity wise… I think many people try hard; the point is more to get across that you still need to “try harder”.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Also talk to all of those huge fuckers in the gym who may not have.[/quote]

Yes, but from what you have written you prefer to lose fat by gauging what you are eating and adjusting week to week if necessary with no use of things like fitday. Now, no offense but, you carry a lot of fat little changes to diet will have a greater effect. That method may work for you or some at the beginning but, getting lean takes a little more work and I am not talking about contest lean. [/quote]

Precisely.

If someone is carrying 30+ pounds of unwanted weight, it is VERY easy to start losing–like within days of caloric reduction (on the order of 2 to 4 pounds per week).

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Here’s who’s qualified to give advice: someone who can give some concrete, basic guidelines on getting more MUSCULAR (could entail SOME fat gain) or getting leaner (eg, x calories per pound, x grams per pound, x percentage of diet, three 30-min sessions of cardio per week, and so on) and then being able to manipulate things from there, as the person progresses or regresses and then finally being able to get themselves or a person to their goals. Stuff like “cut back on the carbs”, “eat more”, or “eat less”, or “up the cardio” are not bad, but are so vague that no one knows what to do witht it.

Edit: I went back through X’s advice thread. I take some of what I say back. He did give DETAILED advice from time to time. [/quote]

LOL at “from time to time”. I have been giving DETAILED advice on this forum since 2000. It is amazing how some of you try to rewrite history.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
While training need not be so damn complicated (I can’t think of any great bodybuilder who did complicated stuff), a person who gives good advice can deal with a specific situation. “Trying hard” is implied! (What aspiring lifter doesn’t?!)

So for example, if I go to someone asking for advice on how to get my chest bigger when I’m arms and shoulders dominant, “intensity” doesn’t help me. Someoen with decent advice would advise ditching the flat barbell bench press and expermimenting with pre-exhaust, incline press, dumbbell bench presses, and flyes. [/quote]

Right, at a certain point, the advice changes.

But if you’re talking about a guy that says “I’ve been skinny my whole life, and I just want to be bigger” or “I’ve been working out for 5 years, and I haven’t seen much results, which supplements should I use”… his advice sets them down the right path.

And, frankly, intensity wise… I think many people try hard; the point is more to get across that you still need to “try harder”.[/quote]

Fair points.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Edit: I went back through X’s advice thread. I take some of what I say back. He did give DETAILED advice from time to time. [/quote]

LOL at “from time to time”. I have been giving DETAILED advice on this forum since 2000. It is amazing how some of you try to rewrite history.[/quote]

I actually edited that out because I realized you have given some detail here and there.

Yes, but from what you have written you prefer to lose fat by gauging what you are eating and adjusting week to week if necessary with no use of things like fitday. Now, no offense but, you carry a lot of fat little changes to diet will have a greater effect. That method may work for you or some at the beginning but, getting lean takes a little more work and I am not talking about contest lean. [/quote]

? This is “too much fat” to you?
[photo]34868[/photo]

I really need more of you to post some pictures backing up all of the permanently contest ready physiques on this forum.

? This is “too much fat” to you?
[photo]34868[/photo]

I really need more of you to post some pictures backing up all of the permanently contest ready physiques on this forum.[/quote]

So, this is where you are at after losing 5 in?

[/quote]

I posted all pictures from start to finish and they have been up for over a year. How is it this is somehow news to people who criticize me so much?

How much do you weigh?

FWIW my avi is from 3 days ago so there are my pics and my last avi was from a month ago and was 4 different shots with no shirt… So everyone knows how I look from a lot of angles, not just my best.

[/quote]

I posted all pictures from start to finish and they have been up for over a year. How is it this is somehow news to people who criticize me so much?[/quote]

What I meant was if this is after losing 5 inches than you were fat before. So, losing 5 inches was not that difficult.