T Nation

Junk Food vs No Food

What do you think is better… Junk Food or waiting for clean food cause you have ran out and life happens.

Here is an opinion

Neither right nor wrong. On one hand, yes, some food is better than no food when trying to gain. that said, if you really think missing one meal for the day out of months and months will make any difference, you’re mistaken.

And, after all, just because you miss that meal, doesn’t mean you can’t make up for it later in the day.

a powerlifter/bodybuilder told me a looooooong time ago, that eating anything is better than missing a meal for people like us.

What kind of college only has a snack machine and a drink machine near by? If you want to you will always find clean food. Any college campus is going to have food joints or at the very least a student store that sells subs/sandwiches.

I would eat fast food in a second over losing weight because I can’t eat “perfectly”. Most of the people who do that don’t get that big.

The exception would be specifically dieting.

He’s right. Keep in mind though he’s talking about someone trying to gain weight. It’s kinda hard to gain weight with no food.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
He’s right. Keep in mind though he’s talking about someone trying to gain weight. It’s kinda hard to gain weight with no food.[/quote]

…but you can bet there are people here going without meals because those meals aren’t “perfect”…while ignoring their overall lack of progress.

He’s right on one hand, not so on the other.

Of course some food is better than no food. But, do people really think that missing one meal will make any noticeable difference? over the course of time of course.

Also, why can’t someone just eat more later in the day and make up for it. yeesh. People are blinded by the food vs junk debate and forget there are other factors options available.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

He’s right. Keep in mind though he’s talking about someone trying to gain weight. It’s kinda hard to gain weight with no food.[/quote]

…but you can bet there are people here going without meals because those meals aren’t “perfect”…while ignoring their overall lack of progress.[/quote]

Absolutely. Even while dieting, having a Butterfinger once in a while isn’t going to kill you if you’re eating under maintenance.

I’m not saying to never eat “junk” , but looking at nutrition as a math problem misses out on the big picture.

There is a pretty wide gap between having no food prepared and deliberately hitting the next McDonalds.

I think it should be possible for any functional human being to land somewhere in between.

…but you can bet there are people here going without meals because those meals aren’t “perfect”…while ignoring their overall lack of progress.[/quote]

Absolutely. Even while dieting, having a Butterfinger once in a while isn’t going to kill you if you’re eating under maintenance.[/quote]

I will admit a few years back I was one of those people. I figured if it was not perfect I should not eat it. But then I started looking at total cals and protien intake for the day and the light went on.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

Of course some food is better than no food. But, do people really think that missing one meal will make any noticeable difference? over the course of time of course.

Also, why can’t someone just eat more later in the day and make up for it. yeesh. People are blinded by the food vs junk debate and forget there are other factors options available.[/quote]

Spoken like someone who doesn’t really know just how much food it takes to get that big.

Yeah, just eat later in the day. That also usually means you don’t eat enough overall daily calories which means you don’t ever get that big.

That is why you shouldn’t take advice on how to do that from people who never have.

Mind you, I know I don’t have to eat every 3 hours now in order to make further progress…but that sure as hell isn’t how I got this big in the first place.

Also, why can’t someone just eat more later in the day and make up for it. yeesh. People are blinded by the food vs junk debate and forget there are other factors options available.[/quote]

Spoken like someone who doesn’t really know just how much food it takes to get that big.

Yeah, just eat later in the day. That also usually means you don’t eat enough overall daily calories which means you don’t ever get that big.

That is why you shouldn’t take advice on how to do that from people who never have.

Mind you, I know I don’t have to eat every 3 hours now in order to make further progress…but that sure as hell isn’t how I got this big in the first place.[/quote]

Please tell me how what I said is wrong. Yes, obviously missing a meal will suck by having to make it up later in the day, FUCKING DUH, maybe if you want to take this stuff seriously you man up and eat more food later :wink: or go to bed later to get that meal in (I’m gaining and have done this).

Again, not to say eating junk is wrong, but this isn’t an either or answer.

And again, because your mind is made up you will miss this point. If you think missing one meal on a Tuesday at 2pm will mess with your progress that much you’re mistaken.

I’ll be waiting for you to give your normal responses, on your way to 45k posts.

I can’t think of much that I’d eat out of a snack machine though. A snickers or payday maybe. Cheese-its are often the best deal for the money if you’re hungry – weight/price.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I can’t think of much that I’d eat out of a snack machine though. A snickers or payday maybe. Cheese-its are often the best deal for the money if you’re hungry – weight/price.[/quote]

no love for peanut M&Ms?

I would eat fast food in a second over losing weight because I can’t eat “perfectly”. Most of the people who do that don’t get that big.

The exception would be specifically dieting.[/quote]

How many missed meals (on purpose or otherwise) have you had in the last 6 months?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

The exception would be specifically dieting.[/quote]

How many missed meals (on purpose or otherwise) have you had in the last 6 months?[/quote]

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I can’t think of much that I’d eat out of a snack machine though. A snickers or payday maybe. Cheese-its are often the best deal for the money if you’re hungry – weight/price.[/quote]

no love for peanut M&Ms?[/quote]

Forgot about those. Yeah, I went through 2 bags the other day. Gas station impulse buy.

I really think it depends on how long you won’t be eating for and when your training session is. If you’re going to be hungry for 2 more hours before you eat, I would wait. If you have to wait 6-8 hours to eat, then eat whatever you can get your hands on because it will be very difficult to hit your macros for the day.

JF has a point of missing a meal won’t kill you. If you have to go a good part of a day without eating though, eating more later might not be very beneficial. You won’t be able to absorb a huge amount of nutrients trying to eat 8 hours of food in one sitting. You just won’t be able to get enough calories by stuffing yourself in that period. If it’s a situation like the video, going to class all day/whatever will become a weekly problem, and you will be consistently under eating.