Jumprope for Fasted Cardio?

Hey all,

I was looking into adding some fasted cardio to my training in the morning, and I thought that using jumprope intervals might be a good way to go about it. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Has anyone used it or know of any programs that would be effective? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think your fine so long as the session doesn’t last long. Since intervals use more glycogen than anything, and considering upon waking blood glucose levels are low (this is especially true if you have a carb cutoff the evening before), the body will be more apt to break down muscle and convert it to glucose for quick energy.

I wouldn’t go more than 15 minutes of intervals for safety sake.

It is just my opinion, but i would never do intervals for fasted cardio. Not that it would hurt you in any way, but intervals require alot of energy. Energy in the form of glucose. Which in a fasted state is not very muscle sparing.

If i was to do fasted cardio, i would recommend doing a more low intensity type cardio. Whatever you decide good luck!

You guys raise some interesting points. Could I still use the jumprope, but just at a more moderate pace? The reason I ask is that jumping rope is probably the easiest way for me to do cardio in the morning, ensuring that I stick with it. I was thinking along the lines of 2-3 min rounds at a moderate pace, like boxers do.

I really think its fine. As i said, if the session isn’t too long, it won’t hurt. And as long as you eat a good breakfast with carbs and protein, you should be fine.

You could do the more moderate pace if you so choose. Anything to get you more active and stick to something is of most importance.

If your a bit paranoid, have a scoop of protein powder in water, or some BCAA’s. They won’t interfere with fat burning, and will help preserve muscle :slight_smile:

[quote]forbes wrote:
I really think its fine. As i said, if the session isn’t too long, it won’t hurt. And as long as you eat a good breakfast with carbs and protein, you should be fine.

You could do the more moderate pace if you so choose. Anything to get you more active and stick to something is of most importance.

If your a bit paranoid, have a scoop of protein powder in water, or some BCAA’s. They won’t interfere with fat burning, and will help preserve muscle :slight_smile: [/quote]

Yes.

Although there are some on this site who are adament about taking a small amount of fat (ie tspn of evoo) before to encourage fat burning.

Perhaps the holy grail of it all is some BCAA’s + evoo. hmmmm

[quote]forbes wrote:

If your a bit paranoid, have a scoop of protein powder in water, or some BCAA’s. They won’t interfere with fat burning, and will help preserve muscle :slight_smile: [/quote]

I actually agree with this completely…the more i think about it, its really not gonna make that much of a difference. It’s not like you are doing 400 meter sprints or anything. I was over thinking it.

Still I really don’t see the point of doing it fasted. But 15 minutes of exercise doing intervals is not gonna suddenly tear down your muscle tissue and some exercise is better than no exercise!

I would just recommend not getting overly zealous and start doing really long bouts of this. Do it for 15 or so minutes, work on you technique and try to consistently increase performance and you will be just fine. Like Forbes said as well, get a good breakfast of carbs and protein. Good luck!

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it!