Jumping Vids

To Whiteflash,

I estimated that he had a 36’ running because I have a friend who is 5’8" and his reach is 7’4". And Kroll was getting about how much over the rim, 3 to 4 inches?

So, I just did 124-88= 36 inches.
Maybe my friend just has short arms. There is only one way to know his vert, Kroll, what is your reach?

As I understand it, every one of those “vertical leap” #'s are inflated to say the least. There are people who can get 45" of off the run but a true vert would be pretty remarkable.
I’ll put it to you like this: How many 6’6" guys in the NBA do you hear have 40 + in verts? A few right? If you’re 6’6" with a 42" vert, you’d be able to put your head against the rim from a standstill. There are MAYBE 5-7 guys in the league who can do that off the run [V. Carter, Maggette, J. Richardson, A. Stoudamire, L. James, Marcus Haislip and Corey Benjamin if he’s still in the league]. There is NO ONE who can do it from a standstill. I’m not trying to discount anyones achievements,nor am I saying it’s not possible, I’m just looking at things realisticlly.
From talkin with the guy From the Heat I gathered that a linemans 550 bench was really 485 or the corners hand timed 4.2 was really an electric 4.4 or that 6’5" off-guard with the condor wingspan who looks like he’s flying cause he can get his wrist over the top of the box off of 3 steps is really only about 34" or so off of the ground when you find that his standing reach is over 8 and1/2 feet.

Whiteflash is 100% right.

And read up on the way trainers coach combine players to underreach in some of Defranco’s stuff. Can make a difference of 5-10" depending on how well someone learned and what the guys running the combine will allow.

Add onto that the fact that football combine verts are measured from highest 2 hand reach to highest one hand touch. Rather than one hand reach to one hand touch.

Still there are some amazing kids out there. And if you see a real 36" vert in person or a real 42" running jump, you will still be blown away.

And then you’ll go on usenet and say you saw someone with a 48" vert :slight_smile:

Good luck with your training. I think the force and power absorption is what you should be working on if all your squats #s are to a good depth.

-E

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
No offense, but to what was said earlier your runnin vert is nowhere near 36". Keep on goin and you’ll be flushin in no time.[/quote]

No offense taken, my guess on 36 is that it seems too high.

[quote]Ze wrote:
To Whiteflash,

I estimated that he had a 36’ running because I have a friend who is 5’8" and his reach is 7’4". And Kroll was getting about how much over the rim, 3 to 4 inches?

So, I just did 124-88= 36 inches.
Maybe my friend just has short arms. There is only one way to know his vert, Kroll, what is your reach?[/quote]

I’ll post it when I get around to it.

[quote]elukas wrote:
Good luck with your training. I think the force and power absorption is what you should be working on if all your squats #s are to a good depth.
-E[/quote]

All my squats are ATG.

Here is a vid of a drop snatch with OHS. Kinda big file.
http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0IW1LOV2PR1LA0RLNMTDQD0IDY

Kroll,
Those are some awesome video clips!!! I especially like your clean. The rest are great too!

As stated earlier my vert is 35" [runnin off of 2 feet is 42"]but at the 24 I hoop at they call me “50” or “vanilla sky.” When I tell someone my vert is only 35 they don’t believe me, I assume because of all of the misinformation and inflated #‘s out there. I can get my fingers about 1/2 way over the box [that’s 11’]which is a lil over mid forearm at the rim. I’d like to be able to put my elbow in the rim, which would mean I’d have to be AT LEAST 50" off of the ground as the crook of my elbow is dead even with the top of my head when my arm is fully extended.

By the way, that vid kroll posted of the drop overhead’s was badass. You’ve got some explosion goin under that bar bro.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
at the 24 I hoop at they call me “50” or “vanilla sky.” quote]

Vanilla sky!! That’s cute!! ha ha.

just messin’

WhiteFlash, what is your reach? You’re 5’10 right?

Ok whatever, I really don’t need to get in a debate here online. My vert is 33" from the standstill and 39" from the run and I would hardly consider it outstanding. I guess it depends what level of athletes you deal with. I play college volleyball and I can pretty much guarantee you that most D1 teams have 1 or 2 guys who are pretty damn close to 40" from the standstill. Whatever though, I really don’t want to highjack this thread so I’m going to stop debating this.

Fully extended with 1 hand is 7’9".

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I can get my fingers about 1/2 way over the box [that’s 11’]which is a lil over mid forearm at the rim.[/quote]

That’s impressive, man. I’m very jealous. You’re 5’10’', right? May I ask what ethnicity you are?

I’m going to guess that “WhiteFlash”, also sometimes known as “Vanilla Sky”, is not a person of color :slight_smile:

[quote]vermilion wrote:
I’m going to guess that “WhiteFlash”, also sometimes known as “Vanilla Sky”, is not a person of color :)[/quote]

hahahaa

White as fresh linen.

The reason why vert #'s are usually inflated seems to me bcos most people take their reach flat footed, and when they jump the measurement is taken from their toes which means that you are adding about 4/5 inches to your true vertical, wheras in actual fact if you measure your heighest reach on tip toes you will have a higher reach which means you actually jumped less.

To what Shorty just wrote:

What the fuck are you talkin about?

Shorty,

I guess you could say that’s true. What he’s saying is that a “true” vertical testing procedure would take plantar flexion into account. When you jump, at the instant before you leave the ground, you feet are plantar flexed so that your reach is 4-5" (even more for those of us with giant size 15 feet haha) higher and you haven’t left the ground.

Which leads me to my ultimate point… who the hell REALLY cares? It’s like the powerlifting people who argue non-stop about the depth of somebody’s squat. The bottom line is that vertical leap is just a measure of your explosive power. As long as you use the same testing procedure on yourself every time you test, you can tell if your vert is going up and thus if your explosive power is going up. Then, it’s up to you to apply it to the field/court.

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:

I do the same kind of jumpstop as well
old vid of me doing a running jump on an outdoor BBall court - pretty chunky back then as well :slight_smile:

right click on link and save first to avoid errors
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj2/Movies/CCJ_BBallJump_5May05.mpg

a friend told me that doing a 1-2 approach would make me jump higher - he gave me a clip of him doing that on 2 handed dunk. He does olylifting these days as well.

right click on link and save first to avoid errors
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj2/Movies/2handsbouncedunk.MPG

I’ve tried it and it does feel a lot smoother. Kinda like a 2 legged version of a running one leg jump, but I don’t really get any higher, but it does allow you to run faster into the jump without slowing down etc[/quote]

I can see in these vids how after each jump you guys land nice and smooth, meanwhile I crumble. :slight_smile:

Whiteflash is correct but with some exaggeration; a true 40 vert is rare…to give you some perspective…in 90 I played in the LA summer pro league…I went the free agent try out route…at least 100 guys in camp…all very good ballers…everyone is measured, etc. guys 6.5 become 6.3 so forth and so on. They measured verticals and even allowed a jab step; only 4 out of about a 100 recorded a vert higher than 32. And these are ball players my friend. All great athletes. The highest recorded vertical that day was from a white boy (and I was one of the 4, white also). He was around 40 or so and I hit a 38. One guy hit a 39 or so but his game was weak. Goes to show you there is athleticism and then there is skill. You need BOTH. The average of what I would consider the “athletic” guys in camp was about 32…these were guys averaging around 6.6 or so and appeared to fly. yup, 32 - nothing to write home about but still higher than the inflated crap you read about. Finally, a little perspective - I didn’t know shit about training then…did some half assed plyo program and I my lifting was built upon overtraining to say the least.

I wish I knew then what I know now. But that aside, even in 7th grade, I set the middle school vertical record - dead standstill, 27. I’m a firm believer in genetics. Barely hair on my balls and I’m hitting 27. Anyway, I’ve known plenty of guys that could fly…and alot of them couldn’t ball. I can’t even watch a high school game anymore b/c guys are so damn impressed with dunking they can’t even shoot a decent jumper with decent mechanics. ESPN has forever ruined the sport. Everyone wants to be on a highlight, instead of having all around skills.